Never leave empty chairs and beds out!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
VoudunLady25
Level 2
Level 2

Never leave empty chairs and beds out!

Post by VoudunLady25 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:55 pm

hey everyone, I'm back again. Exams and school is over so I can spend my whole summer now on PL and playing bejeweled!

Anywaaaaay. I was coming home late tonight and my father saw that my mother had left an empty and folding chair on the porch and he freaked out saying she should close it immediately. We were like "why? O_O" and he said it was a habit from Trinidad where the elders told him NEVER to leave empty chairs and bed uninhabited for spirits come in. He didn't want a wandering spirit to settle in the chair and feel like our front porch was his domain. He is also very cautious about coming home in the dark, because he turns around and walks in backwards so he can face the spirits and they wont come in the house (another old Caribbean custom)

So, anyway, I was wondering do any of you have weird superstitions like this that you or your other family members practice? Its so interesting to see how the spirit world affects our feelings and beliefs :-?
Religion is like going to McDonald's. Why should I be enemies with you because you choose to walk and I choose to drive?

"Behind every great tyrant is God.."

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:11 pm

My step-grandparents won't let anyone close a pocketknife except the person who opened it. Apparently its bad luck or something. Lesse here.... Everyone in my family just about 'knocks on wood' after we've jinxed something or another.

Also, being in theatre, I get all kinds of upset when someone says "Macbeth" inside a theater.

Other than that, I really don't have any other superstitions I believe in. I guess my family raised me more on the logical side of things? I dunno :-?
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:33 am

OH yes, do NOT say Macbeth in a theatre. I wouldn't even advise it in a movie theatre! I was told by the professors when I got my Performing Arts degree that it's a historical fact that NO production of the Scottish Play has ever been performed without an accident of some sort; be it an injury, a set piece falling apart or a death! LEgend has it that Shakespeare stole the play from a rival, and said rivial cursed it.

Um, my mom always had a new dwelling (house, apt, whatnot) cleaned, then had salt sprinkled on the thresholds. My aunt insisted that you had to climb in a window, salt the window sills, then brush the salt from the doors and windows out, else you'd have spirits. I adapted that a little for a new house cleansing ritual, but I always make sure that anything IN the house that doesn't belong is OUT before I seal/salt the entry-ways.

Can't think of anything else.
L8r.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:07 am

Never bring an old broom into a new house.

Whenever we moved my Mother would leave behind the broom and make a big deal of getting a new one. Bringing the old one would result in the problems of the old house following you.

Also My Grandma had a million little superstitions, too many to mention. But the one that stood out the most was her interest in the number three. Anything that came in threes was a sign for her.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:45 am

Hmm.. Throwing salt over your shoulder when you spill it... Knocking on wood... I always ask for permission before entering a forest or clearing and before picking a plant and always leave something behind... I leave my slippers facing away from my bed. We have a thing with three's as well. Third time's a charm, bad things always come in three's...

Four-Leaved clovers are good luck, and break faerie spells. Horseshoes must always face up or the good luck spills out.

I can't think of any more we follow right now... I'll add more if I remember them
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Rev. Asher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rev. Asher » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm

In our family the "3's" thing is really bad. Whenever someone in the family or a friend of ours dies (not gets hurt but actually dies) we can expect at least two more of our friends or family members to die within a few months.

It started a few years ago... maybe 8 years ago. And it's been going strong ever since. The past couple of years have been really bad. It started with my Husbands grandmother dying and then two weeks later his other grandmother died and within 7 months my grandmother died. What's really creepy? They ALL died of cancer.

Then a year and a half later, a friend of mine dies in a car wreck, a month after that a long time friend of my husband's (father figure to him), has a heart attack and dies suddenly, then the very next month, my uncle Elmer dies.

It's odd, but it's true. It's one of things I hate about being a part of this family. You always wonder who will be next when the first one dies. :-(

VoudunLady25
Level 2
Level 2

Post by VoudunLady25 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Ugh, yea. My parents said that in a village in Trinidad (where they grew up) whenever one person or elderly died, three more were sure to follow. And it usually did.

My family has too many superstitions, but it gives us much more culture that if my parents were..ok i'll say it to be "whitewashed" to speak. We also have a lot of old sayings, which I realize always use animals or nature to portray the meaning.

Example: One day a pig asked his mother, "Mammy, why is your snout so long?" The mother pig answered "*SNORT SNORT * Bam Bam you go seeam! (or in some versions, 'Come you coming!')"

The moral is, that the baby pig has the same genes as his mother so he shouldn't scorn her features. Its like a teenager laughing at his/her parents because they snore and then when the teenager reaches his/her 40's they start snoring habits too. Hehe.

OOOOOOH, I said too much :oops: *Hides from everyone over 40 on the board*
Religion is like going to McDonald's. Why should I be enemies with you because you choose to walk and I choose to drive?

"Behind every great tyrant is God.."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:45 am

We have a lot of saying, I tink my family makes up little proverbs on teh spot sometime "Don't stir the juice till the pulp melts" sort of thing.

As for parental traits, I respect my mom, unless I gain a lot of weight I shouldn't snore, but I just hope I don't have kids like I was. I had that wished on me a bunch of times.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Oh yes, that curse is quite effective in my family, to say "when you grow up I hope you have kids just like you" will definitely make it come to pass, just ask my mom, lol. It's enough to make me never want kids! :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 am

Good I thought it was just my family. :lol:
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:30 am

Okay, The only superstition that I have been able to identify is that if I don't celebrate with ritual or meditation one of the Solstices or Equinox's, then bad luck comes in 3's until my "transgression" has been karmicly made up. Mind you this comes from past experiance. I'm certain I must have more, but in my family, we never dealt with the spiritual side of things.

Now that I think of it, I've always had "lucky" items though. An item that I keep with me, and can't bear to let go of. My current "lucky" item is my Dragon Pendant. I have worn him since I got him on a camping trip about 4 years ago. He's my sheild and guards me when for whatever reason I can't guard myself. He also helps me emotionally when I need extra support that I won't accept from anyone else
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews