Just a minor off topic rant <(^o^)>

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Stormy

Just a minor off topic rant <(^o^)>

Post by Stormy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:17 am

Hello all, just have to get this off my chest:

WHY can some folks be so STUPID about dental work?

I may have mentioned that hubby needed to go to dentist - broken off molar that I only learned about because I found the tooth in his shirt pocket - OVER A YEAR AGO. Found ANOTHER ONE a few months ago which he tried to claim was the same tooth #-o ...Yes, he hates dentists...

Anyhow, last time I got him to a dentist was over seven years ago I believe, and at that time they said he needed his wisdom teeth out. But he claimed it was quoted as being $5,000 and we couldn't afford it. Since I'd fought with him like crazy to get the work done I originally made him go for, I was worn out and just let it go. Until this second tooth...

Been nagging him for months and FINALLY got him to a local dentist last month. The news - SIX molars are beyond repair and must come out PLUS his two bottom wisdom teeth are in DIRE condition with HUGE abcesses under both of them. However, he is in no pain as the abcesses have not "erupted". However, the dentist said when they DO, it will be a serious medical emergency for him. Dentist wants hubby to go to oral surgeon and get the two out before they do anything else. Dentist also told him what the others in the past didn't - he has a rare genetic condition that makes his teeth go bad from the inside out, so, even though he is a fanatic about caring for his teeth, that is why they keep going bad - and why everyone in his family on his mother's side has full dentures.

Now, we have no dental insurance but the good news is that dentist #1 didn't even charge us for Ken's initial visit and consult and x-rays, he said we can work out payment arrangements with him directly for the upcoming work to be done AND he is a very rare thing - a dentist who is in it to help people, not just for the money AND Ken LIKES HIM! =D> =D> =D>

More good news - the oral surgeon he refered us to is just like him - in it because he likes helping folks. When I explained that we had no insurance he said he'd just charge $90 a tooth and the secretary told me he likely wouldn't charge for the panaramic x-ray since dentist #1 is requesting a copy be sent to him for the further dental work.

Now, the rant - I have been fighting with Ken for weeks to get him to take a Friday off at work to go get this done. He has had every excuse in the world, claiming he just can't get time off, it's too busy, they won't let him. I argued that what would they do if he ended up in the hospitial because he put it off? I tried to reason with him about how much better he would feel once it was done since the infections, even though not erupted, were causing his body to work double time to fight them which is likely a very large part of his constant feeling of exhaustion.

Nothing worked until FINALLY, I found a dental web site that detailed very clearly in a nice paragraph about what happens when you ignore a tooth abcess - how it can quickly go to your brain, put you in the hospitial and if not kill you outright, leave you brain damaged. I left the page up last night when I went to make dinner so he could see it.

Guess what? This morning at ten I got a call from Ken at work saying "I told them they had to make a decision as to this week or next. I have this Friday off, would you please call and make the appointment?"

WHY DID IT TAKE SO MUCH TO GET HIM TO FINALLY WISE UP!!!

OK, rant done :-D
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:33 am

Oh my!!

Very glad the story has a happy ending!! Well, aside from a mouth full of novocaine with a few less teeth :-?

Gee, my world has been nothing but teeth lately.

I am amazed he is in no pain. (yet) Absesses, broken molars...

When they take the teeth out, get some clove oil. That stuff is priceless when it comes to tooth troubles. It's antiseptic and a pain killer, so if he puts it on the gauze and clamps down gently to stop the bleeding, it helps reduce the pain and prevent infection. Add a little yarrow infusion to that, and the bleeding stops (astringent) and helps heal the wounds faster. (Yarrow is my best friend ^_^ :roll: :lol: )
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:43 am

Yeah, I have around $800 dollars of dental work that needs done (that expensive because I too do not have dental coverage).
It is a shame that my mother had a falling out with her side of the family because both of her brothers are dentists.

I could understand since my SO has a current fear of the devil (oops dentist). :roll: :lol: He on the other hand *did* have dental coverage all the while and had not valid excuse not to go. His teeth are all messed up from his own fault of not going.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 am

Oh boy,

getting him in there was like pulling teeth :roll: :lol:

Anyway good luck, I can't imagine putting it all off that long, and good for you being patient enough to get him in.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Well I hate to say it Stormy, but I have a fear of dentists (and doctors) too. With dentists it seems like every time they look at my teeth they find something that needs "fixing." First when I was a kid they made me get braces, which I had for 4 YEARS before I finally got sick of it and asked my orthodontist if I would ever get them out. Turns out he was a con artist and was just trying to leave them in as long as possible to charge my parents an arm and a leg. :roll: The braces ended up not working anyway cuz he didn't give me the proper instructions for wearing a retainer, so my teeth are almost as crooked as they were pre-braces.

On top of all that, I seem to be sensitive to novocaine cuz every time they use it it it acts more like a strong pain killer than a numbing agent cuz it makes me feel all fuzzy-headed. Also had to have 2 wisdom teeth extracted, reacted badly to the pain meds they gave me and ended up not taking them cuz they made me sick to my stomach. I've also had a root canal on a tooth, not fun. So, long story short, dentists are the root of all evil! Tell your husband I feel his pain.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:20 am

The thing is: Many men need to be 3/4 dead before they even think about getting medical, dental, psychiatric or whatever help.

Not sure why this is. I don't think it's a macho thing as such. It's probably more to do with surrendering control.......

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 am

I hate going to the doctors... Mainly because I remember being sick once as a kid. My throat hurt and my Mom had to stay home to take care of me because I was like 7. She asked me about mid-morning if I wanted breakfast, and what I said was "Toast", although what I had wanted was just soft bread. She made it for me, and I ate it even though my throat was killing me... I didn't want to make her mad for wasting food. Anyways, she yelled at me for faking being sick, and I was bundled up and sent to school. Also, my elder sister was a hypochondriac, so any illness I claimed I had, it was just sort of assumed that I was lying about it. My boyfriend is slowly weaning me off this "I'm healthy until I'm dead" syndrome. Now it's been changed to "If I can't stand without falling before I head to work, I'll stay home" :-D ... See, I'm getting much better! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:49 am

I have a server fear of dentists and doctors....

namely because all the NHS ones are usual incompitent but still...amne i wish I could afford private Lols. but im still on a list (for 2 years now) to see the incompitent one!

Hope everything works out wells though and WELL DONE on finding a doc who cares.. and getting him to go (took my bf to be forced out of work half dead with stomach ulcer before he would go ruddy doc)
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:12 am

I am afraid of needles, so anyone who administers them gives me the willies.

I have a great dentist though, he is very patient and explains everything he is doing.

Kitsune, it was similar in my house growing up, the sicker you were, the more angry my parents got. Staying home sick meant you had to clean the entire house and do all the laundry. I remember once I had this horrible cough where I couldn't talk or breathe because my cough was so bad. And My parents screamed at me for asking them to take me to the hospital. Same with cramps, my mom never got them so when I got them I was obviously faking.

Anyway, I am still not 100% over this stuff. I will go to the doctor when I need too but I tend to plug through sickness. If I work I might feel better!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:12 am

Nowadays, like I said, I'm getting better. If I honestly fall down before going to work, or if I feel like I'm going to and I sit down and I can't get up for at least 10 min then I stay home. :lol: My Dad's much worse actually, his veiw of it is that if he can't get out of bed without falling, then he'll stay home. Otherwise he's going.

For me, this year I've been sick more often than usual. :cry: Almost once a month. I'm hoping that now it's summertime, I'll stop being quite that sick...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:51 am

First of all, thank you all so much for the well wishes for hubby - things went fairly well considering this...

When the oral surgeon took the panoramic x-ray (Ken only had two bite wings of the back wisdom teeth at the regular dentist) it showed that the other teeth that were bad were much worse than the original dentist thought - there was no "waiting" to do one or two at a time. Long story short - he had SEVEN teeth removed today - all molars/wisdom teeth - and as the oral surgeon put it "these were some very difficult extractions". When he came out to tell me that Ken would be discharged in just a little bit he had blood all over his smock and when I saw Ken he had blood all over his shirt - so I'm guessing they were "difficult" :oops:

Needless to say, Ken is miserable. He is on heavy antibiotics not just due to so many extractions, but because there was so much infection hidden deep under the teeth. Ken hates to take meds, but I know he's in incredible pain because he's had two perks in three hours and is in bed right now.

The good news is double though - first, Ken should actually feel a whole lot better over all now that the rotten teeth are out and the infections have been drained and he's clearing them up with antibiotics. He's been so dead tired for months and months and always getting sick - all likely due to the ongoing infections in his mouth that his body was fighting tooth and nail 24/7. But the good news doesn't' stop there - the oral surgeon, knowing we were paying out of pocket, did not charge us the $90 fee for the panoramic x-ray, and he only charged for six teeth instead of seven - he saved us $180. I thought that was pretty darn nice of him.

Well, I'm off to check on Ken.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Rev. Asher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rev. Asher » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:49 pm

Wow, I wish I could find a dentist like that.

My sad tooth story? When I was still a minor and covered by my mother's medical insurance (which included dental) my dentist told me that my wisdom teeth were coming in straight but that I would eventually need them pulled once they were totally all the way in because there would be crowding and possibly tooth dekay because they are way the hell back there and are hard to reach.

The good news? The wisdom teeth are in perfect condition some 8 years later. I can reach them just fine as long as I open my mouth all the way and damn near gag myself.

The bad news? Even though I brush and floss daily, the over crowding has created problems. My teeth are crooked, not so bad up top but the bottom row is horrible. Because of the overcrowding I have tooth pain and cannot clean between some of the teeth, I'm afraid I'm starting to get a couple of cavities because of it.

How could it have been avoided? If my mom had listened to me and my dentist and had the widsom teeth pulled while I was still under her insurance. Now I have to wait until my husband gets benefits from work in two months. Not only will I have to have the teeth pulled but I will also require braces and fillings. That's gonna hurt.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:42 am

Thats great stormy,
I will send some good thoughts his way that he recovers quickly.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)