Computers suck

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Computers suck

Post by Lotus » Tue May 09, 2006 8:21 pm

After my computer has been out of commission for over a month now I am now using my old lap-top to get on-line at home. The stupid thing is 4 years old and runs better than the freakin 2 year old one that was triple the cost of the stupid lap top.
Apparently when I tried to update my anti-virus program it caused a whole bunch of problems since I discovered that the installment disk was defective. There are still parts of the defective anti-virus program that will not un-install. #-o :evil:
*Grunts* My desk top is also the one under warranty and has had its mother board replaced twice. They should have just honored the agreement of the warranty and given me a new freak in computer....it would have been cheaper for them. :roll:
My friend who is fixing the desk top right now set up this lap top with a different anti-virus system.
So, no more short posts from the library for me.
Oh, I just found out that I had 2gigs of viruses left in my quarantine.... :pottytrain3:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Yikes, Lotus!

Hope everything works out soon.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 am

2 GIGS?

Holy Cow, that's a lot of infection.

Good luck with the newly repaired system. And thank the Gods for laptops.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed May 10, 2006 6:44 am

Yeah, computers, it's a love/hate relationship at times.

I actually had a problem with the latest version of Norton which I bought the upgrade online and tried to install. It was so horrible I actually was crying in anger and frustration. Then I got so angry about their stupidity that I called them, got an Indian man of course who barely spoke English, managed to get him to refund my money and cancel my code. Then I ripped that $&%$*#@&) program completely out of my system - not an easy task as Norton digs in deeper than a Texas tick. So yeah, I know how you feel!

Hope all goes well from here on out.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 am

Stormy:

AVG or Avast. They're both free and I've never had a virus.

I love them both very much. Combine one of those with spybot and adaware and a little bit of tiny personal firewall, and you'll be a happy camper.

I am. :-D

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Wed May 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Norton is a pos. The programs refuse to uninstall totally. It happened to my familys computer at home. Spent a day trying to fix it, didnt work. Now have Macafee, never going to use norton again
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed May 10, 2006 12:44 pm

There is no love in my computer relationship, only if you are good I won't smash you with a bat and set you on fire.

Threats have worked so far.

But I do hope it gets fixed and I am glad you have some form of back up.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed May 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Hey, Davish, got a question for ya since we're on the subject -

I'm still using Mozilla, but want to upgrade to the Firefox and Thunderbird, which if I recall correctly, you are using? Anyhow, are there any little tips or tricks that aren't mentioned on the Mozilla site that I should know about in order to install them and still keep all my emails and such from the Mozilla 1.7.7 that I'm using now?

Also, they say that Firefox has antivirus and other goodies - will the programs you mentioned work with it? I currently have the free version of my ISPs antivirus/spyware/firewall program, called Freedom - it's not bad except for two things:

1) you can't have ANY other protection software installed at the same time

2) the spyware program is useless - I've gone round and round with them over it - the darn thing actually "finds" system files like the res1.log AND legit programs files like the update for my $2,000.00 3d paint program as spyware and DELETES THEM if one stupidly forgets to uncheck 'em before telling it to get rid of the real one's it's found. Yes, I know because I was that stupid and it deleted a BUNCH of my legitimate programs and downloaded .exe files for my 3d work that I know for a fact were not infected with anything :evil:
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed May 10, 2006 6:29 pm

New installs of Firefox and Thunderbird will prompt you do import settings. Firefox will import your favorites and turn them into bookmarks and Thunderbird will import your inbox and shouldimport your address book also.

I love the heck out of both programs. As for tips, I don't really have anything specific other than to add the new tab button to your quick settings and to set up a bookmark toolbar for your first four of so favorite sites.

Tabbed browsing rocks. There's a bunch of cool little applications that you can snag to run in concert with Firefox. They're called extensions. These can allow you to set up mouse movements to open, close, and do other funky things with your tabs and windows. This is probably the most commonly used one.

Also, you can switch between open tabs by pressing ctrl and tab, just like alt-tabbing through open windows.

Another cool thing is that you can move your open tabs around by left clicking and dragging. I love that.

Firefox has a built in pop-up blocker that defeats most popups and will give you options to allow certain pages (like the Library when you have a PM). There is no built in anti-virus or spyware tools, but the programs I listed will work great with it.

As for your ISP provided protection tools, they sound like the Easy Armor that my company provides. It's free and it works, but only to a point. There are better free programs out there.

There really aren't that many cool things that I've found with Thunderbird but I only use it to check my email and then I close it, so I've never really played with it. I will say that it's worked better, with fewer strange errors than Outlook Express ever did. And it's prettier.

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Whats Thunderbird?
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Thu May 11, 2006 3:51 am

Stormy wrote:Yeah, computers, it's a love/hate relationship at times.

I actually had a problem with the latest version of Norton which I bought the upgrade on-line and tried to install. It was so horrible I actually was crying in anger and frustration. Then I got so angry about their stupidity that I called them, got an Indian man of course who barely spoke English, managed to get him to refund my money and cancel my code. Then I ripped that $&%$*#@&) program completely out of my system - not an easy task as Norton digs in deeper than a Texas tick. So yeah, I know how you feel!

Hope all goes well from here on out.
A-Ha!
It was the latest version of Norton that I tried to install (to replace an older version of it) that caused all of the problems to begin with.
Somehow my automatic quarantine clear was disabled and whenever a virus presented itself Norton would catch it and store it into the quarantine (and do nothing else with it) which, is how I ended up with about 2 gigs of viruses left in my quarantine. :roll:

And Norton did the same freaking thing: did not completely install properly ie. half install. It took me 12 hours to completely un-install Norton.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu May 11, 2006 10:14 am

I say we, Pagan Library Members, boycott Norton. If one "organization" does it, maybe others will follow :lol: ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I say we, Pagan Library Members, boycott Norton.
BUT WHY?? :-? :-?

They are the best motorbikes ever built.

Kelreth wrote:Whats Thunderbird?
All I know is that it is a TERRIBLY cheap red wine that all the winoes drink in U.K.

I think if you knew, Mr Tracy would have to shoot you. :lol:

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Thu May 11, 2006 11:26 am

Thunderbird is the email client alternative to Outlook Express. It's provided by Mozilla and so far, I've had no trouble with it.

Check em out: http://www.mozilla.com/

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 pm

I love Mozilla. Ever since we switched to Firefox for all our internet browsing, the rate of crap that came through dropped significantly. I have less adware and popups (actually, I get no pop ups, its wonderful). I haven't tried the Thunderbird part of it yet
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~