A Perspective on Cultural Diversity

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:50 pm

We received this in my Hospice course last night. I wanted to share it with you. It's a few years out of date, but still very powerful.

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans

52 would be female
48 would be male

70 would be non-white
30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; one would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for both acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder... If you woke up this morning with more health than illness... you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death... you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep... you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful... you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.

If you can hold someones hand, hug them, or even touch them on the shoulder... you are blessed because you can offer healing touch.

If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

-Source unknown.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28 pm

I really needed to read that right now, at this very moment at 12:30 AM when I can't sleep and I'm stressed out and I just ran face first into the open edge of a door in the dark which ticked me off even more than I already was (having just come from a bright room into total darkness my eyes weren't up to snuff yet) ...

...when I was just sitting here feeling very, very sorry for myself... hating the world for making my life into one which must constantly revolve around chasing money... and slipping into that dark place where one simply says "There is no point to life, so why am I trying to give it one?"

Thanks CHL, it may not have made my black mood totally disappear, but it has taken the edge right off and made me realize how very lucky I really am...
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:29 pm

It does help put things in perspective. It also brings to mind a poster I saw when I was younger. It said,

"Only after all the fish are gone...
Only after all the air is polluted...
Only after all the trees are dead...
Will they realize that Money cannot buy you life"

I'm not certain why that reminds me of this... Perhaps because they both remind me to be thankful for what I do have, and not what I wish I had.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Tagwen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tagwen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:43 am

I read the same thing in my French class this school year.

Makes you wonder why we complain about some small things doesn't it?
Makes you question why in a world of 6 billion that there are half of them suffering from malnutrition when the world can hold up to 24 billion if the resources are well divided.
Makes you see that the reason you can talk to us on the computer makes you in the 1% of the world lucky enough.

Makes me realize that humanity isn't so great, and that we are part of it; thus, we are to blame in part.
I might be weak and pathetic, lacking resolve and full of arrogance mistook for confidence. But am walking forward thus I can hold my head high.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks for posting that CHL,
Stormy on a similar note my friend say I have something called selfish stupid syndrome (Not a description of you)

I got rejected for publishing a paper a little while ago and I was feeling really...stupid, like nothing I wrote was good enough and that I got into school on an administrative error. Anyway, to get myself out of my funk I started thinking about how much worse other people in the world have it.

Then I just felt selfish and stupid (end my little rant about me).

I know now that what I can do is use facts like these to encourage myself to do better. the more people I educate, the more I can help eliminate things like hate. I think even this board does a little bit of that by creating a forum for discussion. I ill be keeping this list!!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:37 am

Wow...
Really does get you thinking doesn't it.
Be what you are and not what other people want you to be!!! xxxx