Ideal Pagan Website

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

What would you rather see...?

light colored background and dark colored text
40%
dark colored background and light colored text
27%
lots of graphics and little reading material
No votes
lots of reading material and few graphics
33%

Total votes: 15

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Ideal Pagan Website

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm making a Pagan website in my web design class at school, and i was wondering, just so that i can get a good idea of what i need, what do YOU guys think i could do to make it a worth-while website?

any thoughts?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:38 pm

From what I've seen on the net, there needs to be more USE-ABLE info, and alot less fluff and graphics. On most pages I've seen, the page is so full of pentagrams and Celtic knot work that you can't really read what info is there. So I'd go for more info and less graphics. Also, an awful lot of pagan sites have black, or other dark colored backgrounds (which I don't have a problem with, but after a while they all start to look the same). I'd say to stand out and attract more attention, go with a lighter color for the background. You want your page to be use-able, as well as a page that someone remembers to bookmark and return to cuz it stood out for them.

I'm no web page designer, but that's my input. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:53 pm

As someone who is engaged to a computer geek, who also dabbles in web design (http://www.bookworm.uber-geek.us)

The focus of the page shouldn't be the pretty pictures and interesting animations. The focus should be info. You want easy-to-read, common fonts and colors that don't hurt the eyes if they're stared at too long.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

scandalicious
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Pisces

Post by scandalicious » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm

The information should be broken up into their correct categories, and generally easy to access. Try and elaborate on a point, but not to the point where the page is dedicated to just one point.
Life moves quick, if you don't stop and look around once in awhile you might miss it.

Beauty fades, your spirit is forever.

The bad things in life open your eyes to the good things you weren't paying attention to before.

:munky2: :angel13:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:42 pm

I have a real problem with dark backgrounds and light text. I can read it but it makes my eyes hurt after a while.

There should be as much useful text as possible, but organized and well spaced. It is very true that you can judge a book by its cover. Have pics but really not too many.

I cannot stress enough: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE DIVINE NO SPELLS!!!! unless they are well thought out and good. I cannot stand those beauty spells and love spells and all that junk you see in teen books and on most websites. If someone wants those they can check out all the million sites out there with these on there. You want something original, and, darn it, nothing that will project you as a flake. And again, you don't want to leak stuff that could do harm in the wrong hands. Better off having no spells at all :lol:

That's my two cents, anyway :
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:23 am

thank you all so much! i tried to make my site my absolute favorite color (purple : D) but it all came out bright pink and i can't fix it!!! so if you see a bright pink site, it's mine...

also, i will have seasonal links up for pictures and stuff and i'm gonna try to figure out a way to add a bullitin board!
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:53 am

What program are you using?

I'm sure there's SOMEONE who knows how to fix that little glitch. Goddess knows how many times I would shout at my computer "NO, YOU IDIOT! PURPLE, NOT BLUE!" until Tony would come and show me what I did wrong.

If you tell me what program, I can ask Tony for advice. He's been mucking about with computers as long as they've been around!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 pm

I have to say I don't like a lot of pics, I go to sites for the info. I like lots of substance in the right places, like under the right category and spaced out right. I think CHL is right, love spells are a dime a dozen! Don't bother with spells unless they are really original and thought out. Purple sounds really good, like a lilac purple? Because I'm all for light pastels, just nothing bright. I think what you're doing is really cool! Keep up the good work! When you're done or at least satisfied with it, put up a link, I'd like to see it!
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Hmm. What happens if you want to vote for Dark back ground, AND lots to read with few graphics?

It won't let you.

Na. Those sites with strong background colours look GREAT, until, after an hour, you look up from the screen to find the whole "world turned to orange and the room went spinning round".

:-D Sorry could not resist that. I was going to say "blue", as two of my favourite German sites are. But any one recognise the song quote?

Or am I showing my age? :roll:

Aye, so, lots to read and light pale colours. 8-)

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:17 am

YAY!!!!!!! :does the happiness jig: \:D/

I figured out the problem! wrong HTML tag. i put in "FF00FF" (for all the rest of you, that means "full red, no green, full blue", which turned it to this kind of pinkish color, but i figured out that the best code is "9900CC",
less red than blue!!!!!!!!! yay...

Oh, and btw, kystar, i use Adobe GoLive, even though i'm not really sure it's too popular... #-o

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:47 am

I perfer a light colored background with dark text because it is easier on the eyes.

Purple is a lovely color for a pagan website. And for the most part, I agree with the input others have already given.

I like illustrations that assist with what is being said because I am a visual person however, I do not like goofy graphics that serve no purpose.
The text should be the show case.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 am

So, mon ami, where is the link to your new site? =P~
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:03 pm

sorry, mi lovelies, but i'm just working on it in school and my teacher won't tell me how to launch the site. :-? :-? :-?

so it won't be up till june.....

sorry...

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:16 pm

:cry:

I'll have to wait then. That's okay! I'll still be part of the Pagan Library in June! My cabin won't be up and running autumn, methinks, so I'll still be around!

*waits impatiently for June*
Crazy Healer Lady

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:21 am

yay! i have a fan already!!!!

oh, and if you see a bunch of pop-ups, it's my fault. my teacher told me that every time someone clicks on one, the host website gets 1 cent. you know how many people click on those?

so, yeah. a pre-emptive apology.