Pagan Paper

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

Would a international pagan paper interest you?

Yes
87%
No
No votes
You're crazy, shut up!!
No votes
Sign me up!!
13%

Total votes: 15

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Pagan Paper

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:57 am

Ok, first things first, what are we gonna name it? Any ideas? Secondly, what do you wanna see in the paper? Global pagan news of course, hot spots, recipes, upcoming sabbats info, suggested reads, DIY projects, a kids corner, what else? Any input would be most helpful!! If you have ideas, say something!!
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:59 pm

Definately would be interested, will reply with answers to all the 'ideas' probably tomorrow as right now I am not much for concentration lol ;) - gotta love being a woman at 42, oh yeah, gotta love this 'normal' part of aging :lol:
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

majickalman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by majickalman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:28 pm

Funny thing, I was just wondering to myself the other day if there were any such publication available. I guess my question has been answered, I would definitely love to see something of the sort available to the public. Just have to wonder how the fundies would take it :roll:
An It Harm None,
Do What Ye Will.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 pm

I would be VERY happy to see this up and running!!!!

I would like to see a new meditation each issue. That would be neat and make me want to subscribe. A new sect of Paganism each issue described and demystified? Book reviews (Pagan books, of course), music reviews (again, Pagan or meditative music like Weave), a health/healing section (mwa ha ha ha), and that's all I can think of right now.

Seriously, I would love to see this happen!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Sounds like a cool idea to me! :-D
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 am

majickalman wrote: Just have to wonder how the fundies would take it :roll:
Gosh, your right, they may not like it. Oh damn, lifes a bitch. :lol: :lol: :lol: NO!!! I WROTE B-I-T-C-H. NOT the same thing at all.:evil:

forgotten oceans "Huggin", one of Odins ravens that brought him news?

Or "Munnin" if you think "Huggin" makes it sound a bit.... pink fluffy rabbitish.

Which, looking at it I have decided it is. :-( , aye, so "Munnin".

It's going to need a declaration of aims and objectives. It is also going to have to put foreward what we are and believe.

THERE is the problem. You COULD put every letter that has ever been written on these boards in, and you will still get some one saying "you missed out "The ocogenarian Runarian apple eaters from Jupiter" or something.

What are you going to include? Wicca, Keltik, Norse/Asatru? MOST Asatru I know would not have any thing to do with a "Wiccan" news paper. Like wise I know a lot of Wiccans that have as little as possible to do with us.

So the editorial content is most important, if this is meant to be read by people who do not know who we are: And that must be the case, otherwise you end up like our Wiking news paper, "Jera" did. It is written by five people, who just so happen to be the five people that are buying it and reading it.

Now we come to; "What is a Heathen/Pagan?" discussion. Hel, even here we only agree to dissagree a lot of the time on that question. To do that in a news paper openly available only serves to prove to them that we do not have a genuine unified religion or belief system.

To show a UNITED FRONT is MOST important.

Distribution. O.K we had subscription, which was cover price plus postage, and we sold them at craft fairs we attended. Or were you thinking of pushing it into all the local post boxes?

Na, any way I will keep thinking.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:08 am

Actually, I would think it would be better to pull the name from more widely known mythology b/c a lot of people wouldn't get it.

A *Gack* Greek or Roman god or goddess or news or a messenger would be better. Hermes, Mercury, Iris...um, there were a few others, but their names escape me. (Iris, Greek/Roman goddess of the Rainbow, lesser messenger, usually sent by the various goddesses, mainly Athena and Hera.)

Metis is actually my favorite...the Goddess of Knowledge, mother of Athena. (Zeus SWALLOWED her!)

but, the question would be, how would you classify and quantify things? How would you encourage distribution? All that fun stuff.

Good luck with this idea.
Last edited by Kystar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:25 am

Kystar, I see your point.

There are already quite a few "Mercury's" around as news papers. But "Hermes" sounds good.

It satisfies the need for a real Pagan/Heathen name, without putting the merely curious off.

auramoonsongs
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by auramoonsongs » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:19 pm

I think the idea of a pagan paper would be a great idea, it's about time we have a proper voice out there.

aura moonsongs
blessed be

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:26 pm

The papers aims and objectives really do need to be set forth first as well determining who is the target audience.
Are we targeting the curious? the already indoctrinated? teenages? Which demigraphic?

Ragnar is it so important to define what we believe? Essentially would could put in self written articles about , oh I don't know "The differences between Pagan and Wicca." or something like that, perhaps several feature articles on each new sect of belief. These are just ideas in an attempt to get the creative juices working, feel free to criticise.

Not really sure what else you could put in it from that already listed. Perhaps an occasional united energy use might be an idea.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Was it mentioned yet - definately need a "current events" section that would point out any and all things that were currently going on in the Pagan community in regards to attacks on our religious rights. Sure, we don't need or want to try to convert anyone, but when our rights are being attacked, when Pagans are being attacked, we all need to be aware of it and do what we can to support those being so attacked and to counter any attacks. It seems to me that there is a lot of "head in the sand" stuff that goes on within the Pagan communtity when it comes to legal stuff and headlines and that's just not going to cut it anymore in a world where due to the very fact we are growing in numbers WITHOUT trying to convert anyone, we are now being attacked from all sides to try to stop our growth by the very vocal, very strongly supported Christian Agenda groups.

Just my two cents.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:21 pm

Wow, you ppl have thought about this way more then I have! lol I wasn't going for any particular group, just any one who wanted to read it. But if I had to choose, I guess beginning to mid level, mostly mid as I don't know any masters. The way I always thought about it was, there are no masters, everyday you learn something new.

As for a general lost of topics, I was sorta gonna go for what was here on the board. Like global news & politics that involve the pagan community, arts and entertainment (reviews), a section on magic and energy, a section on meditation, a humor page, 3-5 pages of ad space. A branch a month section where we talk about a certain branch of paganism, like one month streaga the next, wiccans so on and so on. Maybe a kids corner with fun little projects for those of us with kids. A garden and plant section. An FAQ section would be for the readers that wrote in with questions. An upcoming Sabbats section.

Distribution isn't something I thought too much about....hum... I think maybe a dollar of so with the ad pages might cover what we need....I know!! all over the city there are those metal boxes that the local paper rents, we could set up some of those in high traffic pagan areas! You know the streets and side of town that is mostly pagan, here it's Richmond and Montrose, the west side of down town. Also we could ask local pagan shops to carry them and charge a half dollar more to cover their cut.

Tomorrow Reo has a day off, we're gonna go around and try to get some price estaments on the boxes and the print costs.

Another question, how many pages are we aiming for? How many copies per region? Again, can we get ads from businesses in Canada and other places? If we have papers in Canada but no ads from Canada, kinda strange, yeah?

I'll tell you how the fundies will take it, they'll take it and like it!!!! lol, They're gonna hate it, but I didn't ask them, it's not for them. If they wanna read it, good, if not, p1ss on them! If I did everything just to make fundies happy, I'd had been a good church girl and wear white for my wedding! HAH! Fundies don't scare me! I think the wiccans might make more of an uproar then fundies, trying to make sure we don't wreck the whitelight fluffy image they've been working so hard on.

Ragnar, I'm glad you mentioned Odin's birds, I had forgot their names. I've always liked his pets, along with the harpys, Nicotho the swift footed and Ocypete the swift winged, but I think Hermes sounds good! It's not too creepy or mystic but still not mainstream and you can tell it's not a christian or Fox new paper. Anyone who went to high school will know that name, well, most ppl will. But is it gonna be just Hermes? Or Hermes something-or-another?

I'm so glad I got such feed back on this! I had thought maybe I had just got one of my crazy moments! lol :lol: I had a thought earlier today, it was being in east tx at a starbucks and pulling out a pagan paper in front of a room full of 'good christian ladys'. I couldn't help but grin ear to ear on that thought. I think out of all my crazy ideas, this one might work! And affect the world in a positive way! I know, there are tons of bumper stickers, but I haven't seen a paper.... yet. This is gonna be so much fun! Thank you guys, for planting seeds and adding mutated miracle grow! heheh.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:24 pm

forgotten oceans wrote: I had thought maybe I had just got one of my crazy moments! lol :lol:
You DID, but it's infectious. You should be quarantined. :-D
Arcanum Owl wrote:
Ragnar is it so important to define what we believe?
Not if the target group is fellow Pagans. But if we are aiming at the laity as well, then we need to tell them what we are, before we can tell them why we see the attitudes of some as a problem (fundies etc).

It is no use to ask John Doe to have some sympathy for our cause, when he does not know who we are and what we stand for.

Imagine a political party; "Vote for us", J doe "why?", candidate "I am not going to tell you! :tongue: ".

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Ragnar
>You DID, but it's infectious. You should be quarantined.

Heheh! OK, but if I'm in sick bay, then you gotta do the paper yourself :lol:

Ok, so the first one should probably have a mission statement of some sorts explaining who we are and why the paper has come into existence.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:00 pm

"Heheh! OK, but if I'm in sick bay, then you gotta do the paper yourself Laughing"

Oh NO! You don't get away THAT easy. We can rig up one of those hole in the wall things, where you use plastic gloves to move things around on the other side of a thick lead glass screen. THEN you can quite happily write all day. We just collect the finished article and throw you a banana.:-D