This is a little early, but....

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

What's your favorite holiday?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Hallows Eve
57%
Yule, Winter Solstice
29%
Imbolc
No votes
Ostara, Spring Equinox
7%
Beltane
7%
Litha, Summer Solstice
No votes
Lammas
No votes
Mabon, Autumn Equinox
No votes

Total votes: 14

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:23 pm

Aye, I do not think there is much chance this year either. It's allready heading for late October, and most people in Berlin are still wandering around in T-Shirts! Down in Franconia and Bayern they still have the beer gardens set up and in working order. After last year some shop chains have refused to take winter stocks! Last year less than a quarter of them were sold. The police, for the first time in the history of police in Berlin, did not get winter clothing issue. The same will happen this year.

This is meant to be the place were even the Russians worried about winter fighting, in 1953 my Father had to start the tanks every half hour to stop the fuel freezing, polar bears died of hypothermia, average snow fall was a meter, in 1974 the moat around the polar bear enclosure froze so solid that the bears managed to walk on it and climb over the wall. That was NORMAL!

Whatever happened to winter?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's about here in Canada! I have this picture from the East Coast of cars, buildings, sidewalks, benches, EVERYTHING covered in at least 4 inches of ice that had been sprayed from the beach down below.
Here on the West Coast, we get very mild winters. Still, it all used to be so much colder, and we got snow for only a week I think last winter.

Global warming? :evil:

Goodbye, polar bears. Goodbye, coral. Goodbye snowsuits.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:38 pm

hi everyone i've been away from this board for a very long time. i was browsing so i thought i'd say hello, blessings and greetings.
I can't vote because i can't decide which festival i love the most.
for samhain, or safawn if you are welsh like me, i'm having a big haloloween party at my house. we'll be having a lot of friends who are not pagan over and they have all been warned. at midnight we are doing a druid ritual to mark the significance of samhain and the celtic new year. it's gonna be fun.
bright blessings to all
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:09 pm

HOWDY!! :-D I wondered where you got off to ;) Glad to see you back even if just for a bit.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:51 pm

I guess because of my ties to Christianity I still feel some ties to Easter so spring festivals mean a lot to me. I find it rejuvenating to watch life renew itself, build little statues out of snow mud and breathe in fresh spring air (before the smog gets to it).
As for Hallows eve, I am not sure, maybe burn a candle and think a little on my ancestors. I was raised in a family that spent Halloween praying at the church. I am still getting used to this holiday as a good thing. *Sigh* too bad old habits die hard.
It will have been one year since my great grandmother died as well, maybe I will have a chat with her. :)
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:30 am

Ahhh, but Willow,
have you forgoten where "Easter" comes from?
May be it is not your tempory christian past, but your more permanenr Pagan past that is showing up here?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:08 pm

I've always wondered about that.
I can definitely appreciate the pagan roots of Easter, I still think Jesus was a pretty special guy. My connection to nature is what made me want to add to my Christianity.
I always laughed when I saw bunny's and eggs in Sunday school. I mentioned it once to my Mom, she just laughed and said most people don't think that deeply about what they believe. (I would argue most people don't think). OOO, the cynic comes out.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:50 pm

Cynisism is the voice of experience; And you will probably find that no one gives a damn any way.