The senses gone wild

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

Are you able to sense things with your normal senses in ways that are not considered "normal"?

Yes
85%
No
15%
I don't understand the question
No votes

Total votes: 13

Stormy

The senses gone wild

Post by Stormy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:01 am

OK, just curious how many of you here fall into the "unusual" catagory of the senses...

I have favorite words, not just because of the way they sound but because of the way they taste or feel or smell. Same for colors - some taste so yummy to look at, or smell wonderful, or feel great. Basically, my senses are not limited to the standard catagories - I can "hear" a word, but I can also taste, smell or feel it. I can "see" an object but also taste, smell or sometimes even hear it. You get the idea.

This is something that is documented in a percentage of the population, I'm just wondering what percentage of Pagans make up that number? I had these abilities long before officially became Pagan, but having relaxed into who and what I am, the ability seems stronger. I suspect that there are probably a lot of Pagans who have this happen too.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:20 pm

I am the same way ^_^ I love the way words feel sometimes, and their colour. It blends a lot with my intuition :oops: I don't know if this qualifies, but I am reminded of it, because I am thinking of how this stuff effects me when I am playing games with people or at a carnival. When my dad and I play chess and he shakes a black and white pawn in his hands and then puts one in each, I know which is white because his hand looks white, and which one is black because his hand looks black O_O

Back to the subject:

How about being able to smell emotion and sickness? One trait I am proud to hold ^_^ Well, not so much proud as grateful ^_^ This may be hormones and such that people excrete, but people smell foul to me when they have a mean and hateful personality. Their skin looks funny, and they feel... gross. LOL. I am feeling and smelling and seeing their hate.

Do you like to feel the colours? Try with a friend sending eachother different colours (sitting across eachother touching hands) or touching felt paper of different colours with eyes closed. Very fun ^_^ Just something you may like to try. Try sensing their taste. Just a fun way of using your extra sensory talents ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:37 pm

I have a similar thing with objects and colours, etc. I'm a figurative (means to draw or paint in a "realistic" style) painter, and I get very emersed in examining my subject or my work. It's one way I seem to open up my perception a little bit, and smell colours (not just the oil paint :lol: ), see the movement behind people and objects, etc.

Was something I used to do when very young actually. Anyone has eperienced it- how long does it take you to "re-orient" yourself after studying or drawing or concentrating for a long time on one thing. What do you see out of the corner of your eyes, what kind of a jumble are your senses in?
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

melina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by melina » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:50 pm

I have weird senses, too. I feel colors a lot and I can smell emotions. One weird thing about my senses is that I invent certain smells or colors to associate with memories. It's not like I'm really inventing them though... It's so hard to explain! It's like a smell or taste or something that I never smelled or tasted for real, but I still felt it at the time and associate it with that memory. I also have a tendency to associate seasons with tastes. Not really the tastes of foods that are in season, I just seem to be able to "taste" when it's summer, or fall, or something.

I also associate people with colors. A lot of you mention that you can see people's auras, well I've never done that. I just, for no reason I can seem to grasp, feel that certain people are certain colors. Especially with you guys, since I've never seen you. Whenever I see a post by soemone on here, I can picture the color I associate with them. I also think I'm drawn to some colors more than others. I seem to connect more with people I "see" as blue or green than with people who I see as orange or yellow.
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!-

Isaiah 5:20

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:27 pm

I can track weather by smell...even to the point of saying how hard the rain will be coming down...or how much snow we'll get.

I can hear voices in the wind...but I think that's just b/c my Guide is an Owl.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:10 am

Damn now I'm jealous. I can't do any of that. I can sense things, like anger, lying, sadness. But it doesn't come to me as a sense, like taste or smell. Just kinda pops into my head, I suddenly "Know" that someone is upset, angry, sad, etc. Then again, thats how I get everything extra sensory wise. I never hear spirits, or see ghosts, or smell things. I just know them, I know there is someone behind me, or I know that the spirits in a certain place are active. I don't get visions, I get memories...

its the same way with my dreams, I don't see in my dreams, I dont feel and I don't touch. I just... know. Events play out, and when I wake up I can sometimes remember what happened, but I can't remember seeing much, hearing anything, etc. Its odd.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:16 pm

Yup, some foods and drinks are brown, in taste I mean.
Also I describe atmospheres in colours, to my self.
Animals seem to appear as a "colour" as well, cats are green, dogs red etc.
I believe some uni in U.K WAS doing research into this, as it is not an uncommon phenomona.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 pm

The closest I come is FEELING emotions. Yes, I know everyone feels emotions, but for example: If someone near me is really angry, even if it's not at me, it feels...prickly to me. Kinda like little needles. Love, or happiness feels like rabbit fur to me. It's a bizarre explanation, but the best I can come up with, rabbit fur. Sadness is a kind of scraping feeling. Weird huh?
"Love like you've never been hurt."

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:23 pm

Ragnar wrote:I believe some uni in U.K WAS doing research into this, as it is not an uncommon phenomona.
Yes, I read a synopsis in the newspaper. They talked a fair bit about perceiving things in colour had to do with thinking on left (or was it right?) side of the brain. They connected it slightly to dyslexia and other similar conditions, where your perception of senses gets jumbled.

Using the left side of the brain instead of the right for tasks seems to have altered the colour perception and pattern recognition to a varying degree.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:12 am

I hate scientists. Whay can't they leave some things alone? They are like the fella that insists on ruining your otherwise enjoyable train journey by insisting on giving you a full history of the class and numbers of the train on which your riding, and why it "can't possibly be a class 15, cus they only had six rivets down the window frame, this has eight".

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:23 am

Ragnar wrote: I believe some uni in U.K WAS doing research into this, as it is not an uncommon phenomona.
Yes, I remember reading an article in the "New Scientist" some months ago that there are people who can "taste" musical notes, too.

I think it has to do with when adjacent areas in the brain get fired up by neurons, or some such thing.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:35 pm

Interesting,
I am not sure if mine is spiritual in any way but I have the most amazing sense of smell, I swear I was a dog ion my last life.
For example, I worked at a candle factory one summer and my job was to smell candles and label ones that had been mis-coloured, they had never had anyone do this before.
Another example, I can identify the perfume/deodorant/soap or body wash on almost anyone, even if they put it on 10 hours ago (usually they have to be scented)
Weirdest of all, I can tell where a woman is in her cycle by her smell, it is freaky. I can also sometimes smell a man's emotions (aroused or angry). I seriously can't go to dance clubs because I almost pass out from the smells around me.
OK, so I don't know if that is really strange.
blessings

sniff sniff...ahh I smell ....., no really I smell, time for a shower ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:48 pm

WOW cool!
That is really neat!
Good luck with your smelling ^_____^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 am

They say that a good writer has these abilities which, is how a writer could translate all of these senses into written word.

All of this talk reminds me of a movie I saw about a hideous kid falling in love with a blind girl....there was a sweet part of the movie where he taught her color via other senses.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.