Cat Lady?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

How Many cats will make you a cat lady?

One
No votes
Two
No votes
Three or more
100%

Total votes: 5

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:05 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I KNEW IT!!! I knew it was possible!!! My parents always said I couldn't spin the fur from our husky, but lo and behold, it is possible!!!!
I may not freeze in my cabin after all :-x
Yup, it is TRUE. Now, technically, you want hair from the undercoat - not the stiff guard hair overcoat - which is why Davish's doggies looks so yummy to a spinner ;) Huskies have a lush, thick undercoat and if you comb your critter with one of those undercoat rake combs during shed season you will get a wonderful batch of fiber to spin. Like all fiber though, clean it well before use - don't want your new sweater to smell like wet dog LOL.

Really, you can spin ANYTHING if you're determined enough - feathers, cotton balls, dryer lint - all spinnable.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:53 am

I knew a spinner who had a bunch of longhair bunnies, they would sit with one of them in their lap (after a good bath) and would pluck the loose fur from teh bunny and spin it straight into the yarn. After a while, they'd switch bunnies. It was kind of funny to watch.

Stormy, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A SPINNING WHEEL! I'd LOVE to have one and become a spinning addict too!
HELP! [-o<
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:18 am

Kystar wrote:Stormy, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A SPINNING WHEEL! I'd LOVE to have one and become a spinning addict too!
HELP! [-o<
Well... there are a lot of different online shops to get a wheel, one of the best, IMO is Copper Moose - I've dealt with them (now, saddly, just him) and it was always a pleasure - very easy to talk to and have even let some people pay for wheels in two installments. Now, that said...

... I don't use a wheel, I use a drop spindle :-D
Here is my newest, and favorite spindle
I designed it and Tracy of Wooly Designs made it for me - this picture is actually of the prototype and is a one of a kind as the final version was modified to have only three toes on each foot to increase wood strength. You can order one of your own here.

I have never tried a wheel because I prefer to be able to simply carry my work around with me where ever I go. I'm sure I'll eventually get a wheel, but honestly, I find them a bit intimidating. In my mind, why make it more complicated than I need to? Plus, drop spindles are much cheaper, come (or can be made) in all sorts of wonderful colors, styles, etc. I'd actually recommend starting out with one before investing in a wheel because who knows? You may not like spinning once you try it - doubtful, but possible ;) I must post this for any thinking of starting to spin, however...

WARNING: Spinning is highly addictive and is known to lead to the even more serious Fiber Addiction. Once hooked, only intensive counseling coupled with heavy medication and shock treatments will be effective in stopping you from buying more fiber and spinning.

Now, if you are still ready to try it, there is a wonderful group I belong to that is very helpful in answering questions and getting you going - it's on Yahoo groups and is called spindlers.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:54 am

I love the warning there Stormy, heh heh :lol: ... even more so, I love the dragon outline, where did you find the image used for that? I have a horrible time finding good dragon images that aren't overly complex in the backgrounds or whatnot ?

wassail and happy spinning, heh heh :lol:
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:47 pm

The dragon is my own design/drawing. I came up with what I wanted, contacted the spindle maker and we worked together to "tweak" the design so it could be cut with a scroll saw. Basically he'd say "not enough room here" "need more wood left there" and I'd tweak it around until we got it to work. I worked out a deal with him for a deeply discounted price based on letting him have the final design as his exclusively. He did name it after me though - "Nhewyt's Dragon" - with Nhewyt being my pagan name (though I just told him it was my nick name since I wasn't sure how he'd take it...).

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:03 pm

Well, honestly, I've never used a drop spindle, but I have used a spinning wheel at a medevial event...first time ever, and I sat and spun for two and a half hours.

I'll have to look into the yahoo group and the drop spindle thing.
Thanks for the links.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Fairydust
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fairydust » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:39 pm

oh my gawd...i totally did not know you can spin doggies hair...OH MY GAWD. dude...forget the warning...i so wanna do this! <33
<b>lets just let ourselves be what ever it is that we are</b>

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:11 pm

Ohhhhhh awesome!!!
Guess what I will be doing in my cabin ;)
BRING ON THE FUR Good thing I crochet ^_^

Ha ha, I'm so domestic sometimes :oops:

Yay for the stereotypical 40's woman in all of us ^_^ even the men (however carefully hidden) :P
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:14 am

I love the drawing Stormy... again, your artistic talent shines through, dear

wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:16 pm

I don't know if spinning counts as domestic it is kind of cool to me.

I just cross stitch and bake (I thought about being a professional baker), you don't get much more domestic than that.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:21 pm

BTW,
I got my new kitty today, I am not impressed with the owner. I could feel the kitty's ribs and her hair was all course and greasy and her whiskers were all bent, I am glad I got her out of there.
I named her newt (after Issac Newton because she keeps falling), anyway she is much healthier now but still has some attachment problems, she keeps charging my other (Much bigger cat) so I am keeping them in separate rooms for now. I think her back leg might be crippled but her walk seems to be getting better with good nutrition, she is only five weeks old so I am feeding her mushed up food. I have never taken care of a new kitten before so I am reading lots of websites and giving her lots of love (I bought a heating pad for her, for heavens sake). So any advice is welcome, but I think she is getting better. Just an update.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi Willow - as for the new kitten - malnurished is a tough one on a kitten and can cause a lot of the things you mentioned with the greasy fur and falling down. Be sure to give her a really high quality food - one of the best for putting weight onto a thin cat is the Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp with the blue label, it has the highest protein of any can food, better than some dry foods even, and is usually easily digested.

Also, check the ears - cats from poor conditions often have either ear infections and/or very bad ear mites - both can cause balance problems and the associated falling down. A kitten so young though probably can't be treated with a mite killing medication - you'd have to consult a vet on that - but if you do see a heavy infestation (black dirt filling the ear) what you can do is very, very gently wipe the ears out with cotton swabs that have been lightly dipped in olive oil - don't go too deep into the ear as you don't want to push the dirt and debris into the ear, just wipe the very beginning of the ear canal and then use a dry kleenex to wipe out any excess oil. The oil can actually help clear up the mites as it will sufficate them. There are ear cleaners, liquids, but, again, with a kitten so young, I'd be very careful as you could do more harm than good, especially if she is weak already.

Good luck, any other questions, please ask. I have a lot of medical experience with cats and access to free vet advice and antibiotics.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:32 pm

Her ears are good and I have gone over her with a lice comb a couple of times, I think she is flee free.
I am using the food the vet gave me and mixing it with a liquid formula, I am supposed to slowly use less and less formula so she can get used to solid foods.
But I will keep an eye on her ears, as she gains weight she seems to get better balance, and she is playing now which I think is a good sign.
thanks so much for the advice =D>
Blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:57 pm

Poor kitty!
That is one thing that I cannot take: Animal abuse/neglect.

I'll send her some Reiki tonight.

I really need to make a list of people/animals to send Reiki to every night O_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:13 pm

I have a question stormy,
what does a healthy cat's nose feel like?
Newt has a pink nose but along the slits there is some black stuff, I can't tell if it is snot, scabs or just a variation in colour.
Should I try and clean it?
blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)