Aussie Bushfires

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Aussie Bushfires

Post by white_harmony » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm

It happens every summer .. Some idiot with too much time on their hands gets out there and starts a bushfire in the middle of Australia's hottest part of the year. Anyone with a grain of intellect would obviously make the connection that hot summer + fire + bush = BAD BAD BAD! But sadly not everyone is as smart as they should be. This years fires have been worse than ever. More lives have been lost due to the severity of the fires than before. Usually, there would be a few deaths, but mostly it would be homes and land wiped out. This year, the death toll has almost hit the 200 mark, with fears that it will be alot worse over the coming days.
Victorian Premier John Brumby says the death toll from the bushfires will rise well beyond 200 and the coroner had conceded as much.

"There's still a large number of people - in excess of 50 - who are unconfirmed and essentially these are people who the coroner believes are already deceased, but are not yet identified," he told reporters in Mudgegonga on Tuesday.

"When you see these areas from the air it's just a sickening feeling, particularly Kinglake and Marysville ... there's just hundreds and hundreds of houses completely obliterated so the toll will continue to rise."

Earlier on Tuesday, the official death toll rose to 181.
Read the full story here - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=749121

Also .. For anyone who may know someone who lives in Victoria, here is a link that has been set up as a tribute to those who have been lost/assumed dead due to the fires with links to all of their stories.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 23,00.html
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: Aussie Bushfires

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:44 am

Thanks Wite harmony, I have been praying for rain as I know people in that region. Lets hope it ends soon and that the arsonist gets his or her comuppance.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:48 am

I'm just glad you are safe and Chris and I will be sending energy and prayers to everyone. [-o<
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:20 pm

The fire are unfortunate, but it part of the Australian life cycle, several plant life require fire to germinate there seeds. Our biggest problem with bush fires are the Eucalyptus trees which during hot days with a low humidity actually secrete there oil in the form of a gas when the fire hits these trees its a huge combustion. The other fault is the wind, when it picks up the fires are known to travel faster then an automobile, most people who are caught are actually fleeing the fires in their cars. This years fires have been pretty bad as the flames have been to intense and the fire safety procedure of staying in your house until after the fast, intense fire front has gone past no longer applies, as the fires are too intense that the houses just don't last.

Even though people have lost their lives and are continuing to do so we still get these despicable people who try to play the blame game. These people are worse then the arsonists, fire arsonists take people lives, while these other people cheapen them. See below.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/pastors- ... -832f.html

And people wonder why I think mother nature made a mistake with the evolution of apes to humans. Sigh :-(
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

I was rather saddened by the fires already... Even if some trees do require the fire, the loss of life is always something to be respected.

But the pastor's comments just sicken me. While I approve of the sanctity of all life, anybody with me for raising $2000 and having him "knocked off"? :axe: :rock:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Buy through my site, I'll get you there cheaper than $2000 return flight to Melbourne if you can wait a few weeks. If, however, you want to fly tomorrow morning and be back by Sunday, it'll be just over $8000 (I think the fires are making the price crazy, if the airlines are even running in Melbourne). I think it's a worthy cause ;) I'll even give you my travel discount to knock off this idiot!

Seriously, though, what a jerk. Parasite!!!! Flipping parasite!!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 pm

If it's cheaper, fly via Brisbane, and have free accommodation with us! We'll get you to Melbourne!!

It's so dis gusting (space is in word because of the emote! lol) the way people try to pass the blame like that. The people responsible for lighting the fires in the first place are the ones who should be held accountable, not this "you passed a law we don't agree with, therefore its because of that" nonsense. It sickens me the way some people do this. CHL had it right ... Hes nothing but a flipping parasite!!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm

If you can wait until April, you can get round trip to brisbane for $1558 ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:39 am

This is just like when a certain American Preacher Man blamed 9/11 on gays and feminists. Really yucky that he would take credit for something so horrible.

While I am aware that certain trees do need fire, I also heard that this year the brush fires were helped along by human influence. I heard that someone led a path of gasoline to towns or whatnot. Is this true?
Either way I am sad about the losses people had to face this year. Disgusted if there was any human delibrately making a bad matter worse.

Sure, I could use a vacation. :-"
BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:57 pm

The fires every year are always started by some idiot who has no idea what they're getting themselves into, or they're just a pyromaniac who doesn't give a damn as long as they can sit back and look at the pretty fires! I don't know about the path of gasoline into towns, but I'm curious enough to look around and see if is true.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 am

Wow, that preacher is a jerk. Jerry Falwell was the preacher in the states who blamed 9/11 on gays, feminsts, abortionists, liberals...blah blah blah.

Is it slowing down yet? I feel like this is a long time for a bushfire to go, even for an out of control one.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Jerry Falwell *stifles a giggle* I'm sorry whenever I see his name, all I can think about is Roy Zimmerman's song ... lol

Our fires have always burnt long. So far, this is the latest news on it, should be other links, and continual updates through here at least if you're after news stories on it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=752429

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:54 pm

As another in a fire heavy area - Southern California's annual fires get so bad they have called Army reserves from other states - I can heartily sympathize with you Aussies. Always seems like some moron goes out and starts a fire in the driest and windiest times of the year. Last year three separate ones joined up and blew through a few miles from my house.

Hope you and yours are safe and that it get under control soon.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.