Canadian Elections 2008

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Canadian Elections 2008

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:37 am

For the Canadians on the board, or others who follow CND politics, what are your thoughts and feelings on the elections?

(Me, I'm right angry. Minority gov't or no, we still have a Tory in office, again, and he's a warmongering android with a pedophile stare.)

What are your thoughts on the WHOPPING (insert sarcastic laugh here) 59.1% of Canadians that bothered to show up at the polls?

Does anyone actually know anyone who voted Conservative? I can't find a single one in my entire city. Maybe I just don't know of these mysterious people.

With a minority government, do you think any of the social programs that Canada needs will actually be put in place? Do you think healthcare might actually see some help? That there might actually be family doctors again? That the environment might, perhaps, get a helping hand??

Let me know what you think. I'm riled up. I may not be in a few hours, as my anger toward this ebbs and flows with acceptance and trust in the gods. Still, I'd like to know your opinions.

Yours,

The angry Canadian who is sorely disappointed in her country's citizens
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Canadian Elections 2008

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:22 am

I'm with you 110%

I thought this election was a HUGE waste of money. We all knew nothing was going to change...nobody trusts Harper (sooo creepy, he makes my skin crawl) so it was inevitable that it would be a minority government again. #-o

I also can not find these mysterious Conservatives anywhere. Either a bunch of people are not owning up or :?:

The only good thing is at least Harper has to answer to the other parties so he can't just ram through his ultra right wing :-# . And I suspect many problems will be ignored because there will be no consensus on how they should be dealt with or worse another election. :roll:

I am in despair...I guess we trust in the Gods and hope for the best.
Last edited by Bandersnatch on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:I am in despair...I guess we trust in the Gods and hope for the best.
Yar - and get our picket signs and pens ready if necessary in the coming months, unless there is more we can do about specific subjects.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:24 pm

:axe: :gayflag: :gayflag: :gayflag: :gayflag: :gayflag: :axe:

I'm ready

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Ugh, what a big load of nothing. A waste of money and time. :axe:

And I want to send a thank-you card to every person in quebec who voted bloc and kept the conservatives from a majority. However, they may remember what happenned to Ontario after we voted almost entirely Liberal and NDP in the last election...oh yeah, we got smurfed and the PM won't even talk to our premier. Quebec better watch out because Harper likes to Smurf over those who don't vote for him. :violent2:

I was disappointed however that the Greens didn't win a seat, I thought they had a chance in BC. :-k

Lots of people vote conservative at the polls, they plan on something else and then think...well, Harper hasn't completely screwed me over.... [-X

As for voter apathy, well when there is someone worth voting for and we stop having an election every stinking year...GODS I get so frustrated about this! Set elections people! Except in extreme circumstances, that way the government that is going to call the election can't get a jump and illegally use taxpayer money to start campaigning! ](*,)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Welcome to the party of discontent......not a very welcoming one at that.
From what I have heard of Harper he is what our Bush is.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm sorry. Mad or not, I didn't vote and I'm proud of that fact!

I refuse to jump to the polls every year... In particular, we Albertans have had 4-5 elections in the past 3 years! And all this after the government put it into law that we would only have elections every 4 years.

I refuse to put my trust in a government that breaks it's own laws on a whim. And since voting against them hasn't worked yet, I and my fellow non-voters are showing our discontent the only way that the government understands... Money.

Did you know that for every vote recieved, our governmental parties recieve $1.75 for future campaigning? Yes, we're speaking to them through their wallets. If they want my buck-seventy-five, then they can come and beg for it!

Also, if the voting goes below a certain percentage, there used to be a law stating that the vote is one of no confidence in ANY of the candidates presented. In that case, every party had to choose a new leader, and yes, there was another election, but they would work hard for your vote in that case. I don't know if this law is still in effect, but I hope so.

The government needs to see that we don't support the way they're running things... at this point a simple change in leaders won't do it (otherwise, the change to a conservative government would have done it). Things need to be restructured, and the government won't do it until it's way past broke. In my mind, I'm helping advance change in our society by not voting. Our government is clearly afraid of Change and yet, it's needed if our society is not to become as stagnant and rotted as our government.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Kistune, there's a huge difference between not going to the polls because of ideals, and not going because of apathy. Although I may or may not agree with your position, you are strong in that, and I honour that determination.

There seems to be a real crisis in Canadian apathy about our country, though. So many people are content to just live with who they get, and what they get. I feel voting is a right and a priviledge; if you're not going to vote, have a darn good reason, not, "Meh, my vote won't count," or "I'm busy."
Crazy Healer Lady

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:01 pm

I was afraid I was going to get in trouble there... :hiding:

I can see your point there, Crazy, not voting simply out of apathy isn't right, especially since us women have only gotten the luxery returned to us so recently. I'm glad you can can understand why, even if you don't approve of my tactics.

I want to avoid another PL love-in here, but that's why I love this place so much! >:D<
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 am

:roll: Ah, good ol' PL Love-Gushines. :hug: :GHug:
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 am

Have you thought of spoling your ballot? I know a lot of people who do that, just go and vote but write, I refuse to vote for anytone on this ticket..it has crossed my mind once or twice.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 pm

That to me just seems immature... Simply because it's like handing in your test with doddles on it... You made a point of going there, the least you can do is do it right.

But that's just me, and I've had friends of mine give very good reasons why they'd do it. That particular way is simply not for me though.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 am

Fair enough, I respect people's right to not vote, I can even sympathise.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)