Cattle Align Themselves North-South

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Cattle Align Themselves North-South

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 am

Cows seem to know which way is North!
Their report in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says most cattle that were grazing or resting tended to align their bodies in a north-south direction.

And the finding held true regardless of what continent the cattle were on.
"The magnetic field of the Earth has to be considered as a factor," the scientists said.

This challenges scientists to find out why and how these animals align to the magnetic field, Begall said in an interview via e-mail.
"At one point last year the question came up whether large animals could also sense the Earth's magnetic field or not. But of course, it is difficult, or maybe impossible, to do these studies in the lab," she said. "So, the idea arose to look for other large mammals like cattle, and Hynek Burda was fascinated when he recognized that cattle could be found on Google Earth satellite images."
My interest here is that many people I know (including myself) have their beds facing a certain direction (most of them North) in order to promote better sleep and health. This study also would give some merit to Feng Shui, although the science is different.

Thoughts?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Cattle Align Themselves North-South

Post by Kystar » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Meh, maybe that's why I don't sleep well...our bed faces East. Then again, with our bedroom, we are limited on choices...either face West and have the cats try and kill us in the AM or face East and have the sun try and scorch our eyeballs in the AM.

Interesting.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 pm

Actually, I prefer sleeping with my head to the East given any sort of chance. I can sleep facing other directions, but I always seem to have better clearer dreams when I'm facing East. I'm lucky in that our bedroom window is directly over our bed, so even the early morning sun can't burn out my eyeballs! :badgrin:

Even in rooms with no window I will align my bed to the East, and I've noted that if the bed has a north/south facing that I will sleep more comfortably, facing east.

An interesting topic actually! Lets keep this one running awhile. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm

It's also useful in healing situations to have a person facing a different direction. Although for the past year and a half my bed has been facing West, feet to the East, originally I had everyone facing North.

With cattle having the ability to sense direction, are scientists going to do studies on humans? Interesting thought. Although it's not pronounced by any means, I always have a general sense of the directions, even in a place that I can't get unconscious clues from the sun and the stars. However, when I'm not in my body, it can take me off guard!

Does anyone else wish to share their experiences?
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm

I admit to having NO sense of E/W/N/S. None what-so-ever...at least not an innate sense. When driving, I couldn't tell you which was was which unless I'm either staring at the sun, or having it blast me in the Rear View.

However, I DO have a good sense of "I'm following a path I have already been on." and can usually locate what I'm looking for if I've been in the area more than twice.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm

They also say men's brains work in such a way that they have a better sense of NESW. I don't think it's men only, of course, but back when they were doing the male vs female brain studies this was a big issue. They said women primarily find direction by use of landmarks, and men by NESW.
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:They also say men's brains work in such a way that they have a better sense of NESW. I don't think it's men only, of course, but back when they were doing the male vs female brain studies this was a big issue. They said women primarily find direction by use of landmarks, and men by NESW.
First. Yup. Bed always heading North. Even if that means some problematic deccorating. :lol:

MOST men I know find where they are going by "Go down to the main street, turn left by the "dog and duck (Great bar maid), next right after the "King James arms" (Nice selection of stout beers), second right, and there is the "Partridge and pheasant" (BRILLIANT draught bitter), the Book shop you want is just over the road".

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:32 pm

I used to have a perfect sense of direction... literally I could be in a darkened room and sense which way was East... Yes, I did say east, I started aligning myself with East when I was in Grade 6, and I woke up with the dawn for a full month, feeling the power and beauty in the sunrise...

I stopped paying attention to it (the direction sense, not honouring the sun) for the last 3-5 years now, and I find I'm only right about half the time now... However, I've been paying attention to it again, so hopefully I'll soon be as good as I used to be (as soon as Grimwell corrected me on which way was East a week or two again, I've been actively working to reset my inner compass again.)

Actually, there's a good question... Has anyone else with what they consider a "good sense of direction" had trouble lately with it? When I looked at my inner sense, it was reading a solid South-East as East...

I've heard that the magnetic poles are supposed to shift in 2012, so that Magnetic North will then be Magnetic South... I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it edging that direction or if it was just me...

Oh and Ragnar... Exactly what sort of "problematic decorating" are we talking about? :badgrin:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Kitsune wrote: Oh and Ragnar... Exactly what sort of "problematic decorating" are we talking about? :badgrin:
I ACTUALLY meant "furniture arangement, but.... :roll:

When exact North happens to be a corner of the room, then the bed ends up looking pretty out of place to make sure it is N/S
I've heard that the magnetic poles are supposed to shift in 2012, so that Magnetic North will then be Magnetic South... I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it edging that direction or if it was just me...
Can not see it making much difference. It is only us that CALL it North or South any way. So we just keep refering to it as North, although scientifically it will be South.

The sun will still rise and set in the same place it has allways done.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I remember this "myth" actually, simply because when I was a kid, home computers were still pretty new. I was dead certain that since computers could be wiped out by magnets, that if the magnetic field shifted all the computers would be taken out...

Yes, I did, in fact, believe that it was going to be something that even humans could feel, like a wave of wind blowing over everything in it's path... And simply breaking or blowing up anything with a computer chip in it along the way... :oops:

I may have been young and silly, but you've gotta admit, it's a vastly funner way of looking at the world. :-D

And you actually put your bed at an angle to make sure it's North/South facing?!

Wow, I've never been that picky about the placement of any piece of furnature before! I'd love it if we could get a picture of that bedroom... What does your beautiful woman say about this interesting quirk of yours? Since women tend to be more picky about actual room aesthetics, I'm simply wondering if it drove her mad the first time it happened... :-k

Sorry, random thoughts take over sometimes! :-D

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 pm

We are lucky here in that te wall against which the bed head is, runs exactly East/West. So it is no problem.

But Lisa is the same as me. Both with the North trhing AND with the aesthetic charm of an extinct species.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm the same way. Head MUST face North! Not always to Chris's approval, but he has learned to thank me because he gets a better rest and more influence from the "Wisdom" quadrant. :badgrin: (ah, Raven!)

Kitsune, I haven't noticed my directions being off. However, I have noticed the position of the moon near the horizons throws me! When it rises at N-E instead of E, I really get a shock.
Crazy Healer Lady

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:46 am

I am not a North/South person. I tried it and it drove me crazy. The only way I am happy is head west - feet east. But I almost always face south while sleeping.

I usually can sense which direction is North and have not had any problems lately but I am far from perfect. This has got me intrigued. We should start our own poll.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 am

Bandersnatch wrote: We should start our own pole.
North or South?

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Hey I fixed my typo but maybe I should have left it. Now that I think about it, it works on so many levels.