Neopaganism growing quickly

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Neopaganism growing quickly

Post by Librarian » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Some good news for us, bad news for the fundies... Now if we could just deal with the fluffy bunnies - our own. :oops:
By Electa Draper
The Denver Post

Give them that old-time religion — ancient religion — and then watch an exploding population of modern pagans give it contemporary twists.

Their numbers roughly double about every 18 months in the United States, Canada and Europe, according to the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance.
Further reading:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9695062

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: Neopaganism growing quickly

Post by Willow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks for the article, It hink it was well written and it is nice that it didn't come out at halloween.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Libra

Post by ImMappaM » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:29 am

Namaste and Greetings

An interesting article and thank you for posting it with the url. If such an article were posted here in the southern bible belt, the fundies would be beating down doors and protesting in front of ppls homes.

As for fluff bunnies, noobs or whatever you want to call them, I think it's important to remember one thing. Tolerance and their right to believe and practice as their spirit chooses. To rank or label others in their spiritual belief or practice is to follow those organized religions that do that to us and practice what they do to others. If you take your typical fluff bunny and choose to help them learn rather than to scoff at what they appear to be in your ranking, you'll find that they are eager for the knowledge, are willing to take direction and have talents that are untapped or tried. Here too, you'll be able to discover whether they are really interested or if it's just a popular trend they're following. There are not magical elite, only unpracticed users.

~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:46 am

ImMappaM wrote: As for fluff bunnies, noobs or whatever you want to call them, I think it's important to remember one thing. Tolerance and their right to believe and practice as their spirit chooses. To rank or label others in their spiritual belief or practice is to follow those organized religions that do that to us and practice what they do to others. If you take your typical fluff bunny and choose to help them learn rather than to scoff at what they appear to be in your ranking, you'll find that they are eager for the knowledge, are willing to take direction and have talents that are untapped or tried. Here too, you'll be able to discover whether they are really interested or if it's just a popular trend they're following. There are not magical elite, only unpracticed users.
Fluffy bunny types are not neccessarily newbies, nor are they neccessarily well meaning seekers.

The trouble is, you can 99% garuntee when a reporter want to do a report on Heathenism/Paganism, it is the fluffy bunny types they seek out, because "Kevin, high priest and guardian of the 17th portal to the world of the all great and knowing stick insect, with scars to prove it, whos temple is in a one room cold water, behind "Mc Dogs" on 1st city back street, is SURE to be the one they find. And "Kevin" is ALWAYS willing to help, because he needs to pass on the URGENT stick insect prophesy that sais the worl will end in 2012, and that Marilyn Monroe and Jimmy Hendrix were REALLY behind the plot to blow the WTC up, sponsored by J Edgar, (who did NOT die but is now living on a secret island with Hitler, Marc Bolan, and Kennedy,) because the Government had all the evidence that would PROVE man never went to the moon hidden there.

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImMappaM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Namaste

LOLOL Of course you're right about the fluffs not always being noobs. And of course the media depending on the slant that they want to take will always go for the "whacko in the extreme" that wears the foil lined hat, parades around town in his pjs and talks outside of commitment and knowledge. (I do like you discription, very detailed.) And of course there are those who yern for the spotlight, a moment of fame and attention. However, for those who are not the attraction of the moment, by their own choosing, I find it intolerant and arrogant to place labels, ranks and evaluations on those you don't know personally or what motivates them.

With that said, I don't believe that Marylin Monroe had anything to do with 9/11 but I'm not as sure about Hendrix. ;)

It's all a very fine line we walk and talk, I choose to give others the benefit of the dought until I learn better.

Brightest Blessing Ragnar,
~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm

ImMappaM wrote: It's all a very fine line we walk and talk, I choose to give others the benefit of the dought until I learn better.
Time is something we have not a lot of. The barriers are being pushed and pushed by;

a) christian fundies

b) muslims, particularly here in Europe.

I mean, there are whole AREAS of our cities here that are allowed to be operated under "shariha law"! So not only are we having to fight oner lot for our rights, but now someone has jumped the queue, and we have to get OUR claims to rights past BOTH of them.

We need people that are articulate, intelligent, and can cut through any of the pit falls and cul-de-sacs that the media try and trap us into, and we do not have the time to spend 20 minutes of every 30 minute interview clearing up bunny crap.

I.e we need warriors, NOT namby pamby "I talk to trees whilst naked and don't like violence" sorts, With the charisma of an extinct species, wierdo, pinkoe, cowardly, sandle wearing, incence sniffing, lentil eating, Part time potery teaching, basket weaving, prisoner visiting, crochet nicker wearing, tyed dyed skirt carrying,"new age music" listening, poetry reading, Tree talking, Police hating, men hating (even the "men"), P.T.A chair "person", wet nelly type, with bastards named "rainbow", "Jade" and bloody "moonrise", limp wristed toss pot, doing "sociology" and bleeding "Social work" at Open University for the last twenty years, who would rather see their families tortured beaten and raped than do anything so "daring" as to actualy bloody DEFEND themselves. And THAT'S just the "MEN".

Which I have nothing against, so long as the media never get to see them.

To me, they should by Heathendoms "Baby Janes", locked in the attic and never to be seen in public again. Not until we have won.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Guess I should stay home on media day! LOL.

"I talk to trees whilst naked and don't like violence" sorts, With the charisma of an extinct species, wierdo... sandle wearing, incence sniffing, lentil eating, Part time potery teaching, basket weaving, prisoner visiting, crochet nicker wearing, tyed dyed skirt carrying,"new age music" listening, poetry reading, Tree talking..."

I'm non-violent, but I've got fight in me. I'd rather see peace than arguments, but I'll be damned if I'm going to see my rights as a human stomped on. I am, however, significantly amused that most of that describes me! Until the police-hating part. It may be unpopular (especially with the taser incidents recently), but those men put their lives on the line most nights. They've saved my butt. They've saved my mom countless times, being an emerg. nurse.

Ah but I won't tangent there.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Guess I should stay home on media day! LOL.
You have other saving graces. :-D

When I talk about "violence" Aye right, I want as little of it as possible in the world. But SOME people would go to the extent of rolling over and dying rather than defend themselves with "violence". THEY are the type I mean.

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImMappaM » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 am

Namaste

I happen to agree that where appropriate, violence should be met with violence. And that sometimes is a defensive stance. Defending beliefs of spirit with verbal aggressiveness is also appropriate as defending anothers right to believe as they choose. Unlike with organized religions where one or few may speak to the generalities of their faith, those beliefs broadly catagorized as pagan, need narrower definings sometimes to the individual themselves and it is important that when misconceptions of belief are protrayed especial in the media, that corrections are made in so much as the understanding that pagans are diverse and varied, neither wrong nor right and that a generalization cannot be made other than that belief is something other and outside of the major organized religions of the world. Aggressive correction of the fact of this is important for others to recognize.

Blessings of Love and Light
~MappaM~
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am

Ragnar wrote: I.e we need warriors, NOT namby pamby "I talk to trees whilst naked and don't like violence" sorts, With the charisma of an extinct species, wierdo, pinkoe, cowardly, sandle wearing, incence sniffing, lentil eating, Part time potery teaching, basket weaving, prisoner visiting, crochet nicker wearing, tyed dyed skirt carrying,"new age music" listening, poetry reading, Tree talking, Police hating, men hating (even the "men"), P.T.A chair "person", wet nelly type, with bastards named "rainbow", "Jade" and bloody "moonrise", limp wristed toss pot, doing "sociology" and bleeding "Social work" at Open University for the last twenty years, who would rather see their families tortured beaten and raped than do anything so "daring" as to actualy bloody DEFEND themselves. And THAT'S just the "MEN".
Guess I should stay home on media day! LOL.
There's that time honoured "Ragnar-style" diplomacy that we've come to know and love. =D> #-o =D>
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews