Security Guard Vandalizes $1.2 Million dollar painting!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Security Guard Vandalizes $1.2 Million dollar painting!

Post by Kystar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Okay, I'm not a crazy art fan or anything, but this guy is NUTS!

I just wanted to share the WTF? of this whole thing.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08158/887842-52.stm
A guard at the Carnegie Museum of Art is accused of using a key to deface a $1.2 million painting.

The piece -- from Vija Celmins' "Night Sky" series -- was on display as part of the 2008 Carnegie International exhibit, according to a police affidavit. It was damaged beyond repair.

"I didn't like the painting,"
It's a black canvas with white dots...it really and truly looks like a photograph of the night sky, or something you'd see in an astronomy classroom! At this point, I'm completely confused. WHY would someone SLASH a painting of stars?
Of COURSE he's claiming mental illness. HOW'D he get a job as a security guard of a museum if he's got destructive tendencies like this? People hurt my head!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Wow. I don't even know what to say, except I feel a compelling urge to express my disdain :-(

What a beautiful painting. Who would want to destroy it?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

My Psionic Nature
Level 1
Level 1

Post by My Psionic Nature » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:04 am

I can't believe it.....how disrespectful can you get!

Grrrrrr!!!!!!
Many people have a spiritual experience. I'm a spiritual being having a human experience!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Me and Grimwell respectively suggest that mental health no longer be used as an excuse...

Or if it is used, that you are immediately made infertile "Don't want the genetic defect to continue to the population, right old chap?"

Then, after that's been taken care of you can go into the crazy room, with the soft walls until you're better... And someone who's highly critiquing of your crime decides when you're fit... Not somebody who simply wants to get out at then end of the day.

That is the proper way to deal with these sorts of people...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:42 pm

My Hubby thinks that if you use that as a defense, you're locked up in an institution for life. After all, if you aren't sane, you can go from defacing artwork to defacing people in a heartbeat.

I agree, actually, sterilize them and contain them. It's part of today's society, no one wants to take blame/responsibility for their actions or thoughts. They figure "I'll spin a sob story about sexual abuse with a paintbrush as a kid, and I'll get off with some community service!"
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 am

People are strange.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)