Ban on Gay marriage overturned

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Ban on Gay marriage overturned

Post by Lotus » Thu May 15, 2008 8:32 pm

In Californina, the ban on gay marriage was found unconstitutional.
There is a whole article on witch vox about it.\
http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=19677

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>

One small step at a time. Awesome.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 am

Of course, the first thing I saw today when I opened my Yahoo Mail was
Gay marriage opponents vow to fight Calif. ruling

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/ap_ ... y_marriage
What does it matter if gays can get married? Geeze!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 am

Lets face it - there are people out there who think they are right and also think we should all think so too - and if they have to make us, they will, one way or another. ](*,) :rock:

For some people, freedom means everyone has the right to believe what they do.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri May 16, 2008 3:11 pm

California voters will almost certainly hold a referendum on a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in November, and for the first time anywhere in the U.S., the vote will have a direct and immediate effect on gay couples waiting to tie the knot.

The amendment needs a simple majority to pass, and if the voters reject gay marriage, their decision will supersede the high court's. There are signs the contest's outcome will be close.
Hey, we're talking Cali here... I have hopes that free-thinkers outweight the idiots who think we should all be tight-a**ed matrons of their ancient and grossly inhuman and unnatural ways of thinking.

Still... Wow, $25 million on the campaign efforts combined? Is it worth that much to some people to take away a constitutional right? Should they even have the option to vote when it is a constitutional right? Is marriage between two people of the same gender really that offensive, and if so, WHY??? These are the same people who attempt still to ban condoms, birth control, tattoos, free thought...
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Is marriage between two people of the same gender really that offensive, and if so, WHY???
I think a lot of the problem lays with the christians thinking they own the copyright to the word "marriage".

Most of the debates here in Europe seem to center around that, rather than whether Gays should be allowed official recognition as partners.

Typically Jewish method of debate actually, pull the question apart before you even START to try and answer it.

That's why there are so many BLOODY good Jewish philosophers, lawyers and judges.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat May 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Many of my Christian friends (some quite open minded) believe that marriage should *only* be handled by the Church.
They fail to see that marriage is a very legal binding contract and not exclusively having to do with religion.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun May 18, 2008 10:32 pm

I say give it a different name...

For myself, I am married, which gives me legally binding rules I must adhere to, and also affords me specific benefits.

But my Handfasting, is the ceremony that I find to be the important one, since it is spiritual and thus more important...

One is a governmental requirement, and the other is a spiritual requirement... The responsibilities and benefits, but there are differences in exactly who it's important to, and how its handled.

Hell, I was originally not going to get married to Grimwell, I was simply going to get my name changed to match his. Reason, for governmental purposes???

"You don't give me the option to be married by an officiant either of my choosing or of my religion. Thus, I don't see why you officially need to me to pay you to say I'm married. You consider me common-law, with the same benefits as married, and that's fine."

However, a marriage certificate is around $75 bucks, whereas a name change is around $200 or more...

#-o

The great God of Capitalism wins again! :lol: ;) #-o
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun May 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Kitsune wrote:I say give it a different name...
Why kow tow to the b******d's? As I said before, they do not own the copy right on the word.
Kitsune wrote:For myself, I am married, which gives me legally binding rules I must adhere to, and also affords me specific benefits.

But my Handfasting, is the ceremony that I find to be the important one, since it is spiritual and thus more important...

One is a governmental requirement, and the other is a spiritual requirement...
So....get the registrar to attend the handfasting.

Then both can be done at once, the same as happens in "churches".

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 am

I also agree that the name should not be changed. I feel that it is everyone`s right to join in marriage if they choose. Even Indo-CNDs and Asian couples of various different faiths and lifestyles get married within their own specific religious outlines, and we call it 'marriage.' To call it something else would not be giving it merit, sort of like giving a couple who wants kids a puppy instead. "Kind of like a baby, but not quite, but it makes us more comfortable."

I'm cringing at the whole name change stuff. I'm sticking to the argument, "If I have to change my name, so should he!" Luckily, my partner is actually really open about my stance, and is wondering if I'll keep my name or take his. "Let's change both ours to, 'Is'Awesome.'" :lol:

Not to mention the credit that I've earned in my name which is void once I change it, and the idiot sexist banks who don't care, or the money I'll have to spend to change my passport, licenses, medical card, CRA membership, etc etc etc
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 19, 2008 4:04 am

Na. We decided to keep our own names, as Lisa would have had to have Mrs Lisa Vagmörnasson-Germelmann von Pietzpuhl.

Which does NOT fit on the letter box. :lol:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon May 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I generally refuse to call it married.

I insist that people know that I am married, but they are coming to my handfasting, and that is what I want them to celebrate.

Sort of like taking the word Witch back, although I never did agree with that one...

Anyways I'm not making any sense, so I'm going to head to bed now...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue May 20, 2008 7:18 am

One is a governmental requirement, and the other is a spiritual requirement... The responsibilities and benefits, but there are differences in exactly who it's important to, and how its handled.
I agree getting married is really two issues.

What really counts is the commitment two people have to one another. The legal stuff comes in when there is a death or separation.

I think this is one of those issues where the people involved must decide what is right for them.

As to gay marriage, the government and everyone else should mind their own business. If no one is being hurt, then stay out of it.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 am

Bandersnatch wrote: The legal stuff comes in when there is a death or separation.
I do not know about Canada, but there are also tax benefits throughout the marriage in Europe.

So it is a lot more than just death or divorce.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 am

I know that our car insurance dropped a bit when we got married, and our taxes changed when we filed together this year.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!