Research Paper- Mission? Social Issues!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Research Paper- Mission? Social Issues!

Post by Mahala » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 pm

This paper screams trouble. (Touchy subjects.) I have to do a research paper on social issues (I'll list some of the topics I highlighted...) for my English class. I must pick ONE topic, but they're all so great... I thought I might ask around since my parents do well to avoid this stuff plus the way I've seen you all go at it, you've got LOTS of braincells I must borrow!
:-D Different topics seperated by a :

Abortion : Adoption : AIDS : Animal experimentation
Birth control : Child labor : Cloning (Non-human)
Conservation of natural resources : Drug testing : Eating disorders :
Enviromentalism : Evolution (Biology) : Euthanesia : Endangered species
Freedom of speech : Freedom of press : Genetic engineering
Genocide : Global warming Nuclear energy : Nuclear weapons
Obesity : Overpopulation : Pollution : Racial profiling : Racism
School violence : Sex education : Stem cells research : Teen pregnancy
Terrorism : Violence in mass media : Weapons of mass destruction
Animal rights groups (Ethics)

... That's about one-third of all the options we were given by the teacher... but these are the ones I can do well on. So if you want, pick one, give me a couple good sources if you can, and I'll look around. I have from today, April 11th, until Tuesday the 14th to choose a topic! So move those FINGERS! I really appreciate the help provided.
Plagiarism has been discussed, and as a good little person, I do not plagiarize... I recently had someone do that to my work and am extremely livid they would attempt it, so I know what the feeling is. Plus I don't want a zero on this paper.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:02 am

OOoo fun!

Whenever I had a paper on social issues, I could never pick a side. It ended up sounding, to me, like I was arguing with myself.

If I were doing that paper myself, I'd probably choose Abortion because that is a subject I feel I can better represent a higher percentage of the spectrum.

Which do you feel you can better comment on? Or, which interests you the most but you do not know much about?

Pick your topic, and if I can offer some resources, I will :) Otherwise it's running around in a circle. :lol:

Good luck!

-CHL
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:11 am

When I had to do that for college, I did Euthanasia, mainly because it had only been a few years since I watched my grandfather fight with his doctor about dieing with dignity.

Would you believe that his doctor put him in the psyche ward for wanting a Do Not Resuscitate Order? Yup, called him suicidal. He was over 80 with a failing heart and no independence. He had the right to issues a DNR, but his Doctor didn't believe in them.

Anyways, I'm digressing.

I'd do it on something you feel strongly about, either for or against. Something you can be passionate about.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 am

That's the thing... we're not supposed to pick a side. Our teacher said it wasn't supposed to be persuasive, just a lot of info.

I could do the animal welfare, since I've gotten into one too many ANTI-Peta squabble and I know pleanty, but I'm afraid I'd wreck if I chose a side. Euthanasia would be okay, we've had two or three cases similar to yours Kystar.

Hmm, I think I'll pick something I don't have an opinion on, like nuclear weapons or cloning. I'll narrow my choices down when I have the chance here, I'm supposed to have a busy weekend since the weather's nice.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 am

Oh, now see, my teacher had us do something different...we were supposed to pick something we had a strong opinion on...write an argument that reflected our stance...then go back and write a counter-argument.

Yeah, if you just have to present the facts of why it's a controversy, take something you don't give two figs about.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:54 am

Well. I have views on most of them. But to write a paper.... :oops:

I am glad I took something simple like .....Modern European history and Ancient North European religions.

GOOD LUCK!