Politics are not really my thing...

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Chuck Norris advertises the Total Gym.

And apparently plays WOW.

(I Survived the Barrens Chat.)[/url]
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:57 am

I'm just sick of the Chuck Norris jokes....

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:38 am

Ummm.... I don't know if you guys know this or not... But...
Huckabee dropped out of the race already... for the republicans its John McCain vs. Mitt Romney, and for the democrats its Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton

So for the first time in US history, the democratic nominee will be either a woman or an african american. =D>

Well, I can honestly say that now people of any diversity will have a much better chance at going "all the way" from now on in the US presidential campaign than they have before (given that the person elected doesn't mess things up even WORSE!).
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Well, that's good to hear.

I only really follow things in a hit-or-miss fashion, so I wasn't aware he was out.

I just found Huckabee SCARY in the extreme.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:29 am

I live in the US so it's all over the news nowadays

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:31 am

In order to know that, one must open up a newspaper, or watch TV or listen to Radio stations.

As I do none of that, except occasionally online, I wasn't really sure.

It's too soon in things for me to really start paying attention. I can't vote in primaries, so I never give them too much thought. The downside of being registered as an Independent.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:03 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... n2008/home

Huckabee is still in the race.... I wasn't sure if he dropped out, I don't think he will beat McCain but he is still plugging!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 am

Damn it, I saw him on the Television this past weekend, and was hoping it was simply an old program they were re-airing! Grrrrrrrr. He should be taken out into the street and shot. Perferably with impotency darts, so that at least he couldn't breed anymore.

What, you thought I meant real bullets? :-o Not me, I prefer saving those for Ragnar :-D ... He's a better shot! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Troubadour1423
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Troubadour1423 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Huckabee vs. McCain & Obama vs Clinton.
Romney dropped out last week.
Don't know why Huckabee's still goin'.
"The rulers of the state are the only ones who should have the privelage of lying." -Plato

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm

To frighten those who don't fit into his Utopia States of America?

Don't know...Don't care...ain't voting for him...nope, not gonna. I'll vote for Clinton before I vote for him! Heck, I'd vote for BUSH before I vote for him!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Is Huckabee the mormon one?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Honestly, I have no idea what his actual religion is...but he's talked about making sure America is taken back the "God Fearing" and "Christian" country its Founders established it as...which...um, my history tells me is WRONG. Most of the Founders were Agnostic or Atheists.

And he's against Womens' Rights, Abortion, and a whole SLEW of other advances in social structure from the last, dunno, 100 years.

he thinks women need to follow the place put forth for them in the Bible.

I'm sure some of the stuff I've read has been taken out of context, but still, it's enough to scare a self-aware pagan girl.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Can he not be suepended (Preferably by the neck) under the seperation of State and religion clause?

I mean he is using religion to make political gain there for he is mixing State with religion.

Or have I read that wrong?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:35 am

Well, actually, there is some argument that the wording about the Separation of Church and State isn't actually in the Constitution...that it came out of some of Thomas Jefferson's correspondence that was elaborating on the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights - the Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of expression...et cetera.

The problem is there are a lot of fundies crawling out of the wood-work here who want a more "Wholesome, god-fearing" government...who want there to be aspects of Christian "Family values" in our lawmakers...b/c they think otherwise our country's going to fall to anarchy soon. That and these people interpret the "Freedom of Religion" part to mean "you're allowed to be any religion, so long as it is a recognized Christian denomination. Oh, well, we'll make an exception for Jews because Jesus was a Jew."

It's really a smokescreen to keep the debate away from the real issues - Unemployment, poverty, poor education systems, crime rates, inflation, weak dollar value, and so forth that has come about because the Republicans have dragged us to a war we don't really belong in long-term.

But, b/c we're under "religious attack by those Muslim fascists", all of a sudden, America is a Christian Country that MUST have a Christian, Bible thumping President.

Like I said...if they even TRIED to do the proper research, they would discover:
Thomas Jefferson was a Deist. He also was the big name behind the Freedom of Religion and Separation of Church and State authority.

Ben Franklin didn't HAVE a religion noted.(Atheist?)

John Hancock was a Freemason

George Washington was the only one I found with a Christian Religion listed - Anglican/Episcopal

And that was a five-minute search on Wiki...imagine what details could be found if one actually did a real bit of research!

I mean how did we do this one-eighty? When John F. Kennedy was elected, detractors were worried that he'd allow the Pope to influence his decisions since he was the First Catholic President.

Now, Religion is almost more important than their views on saving the economy! WTF?

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:46 am

Oops! :oops:

I must have misunderstood the newsperson... :cry:

Oh well, at least he has no chance of winning if I have anything to say about it!!! :evil: