Puppy Killers

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Puppy Killers

Post by Willow » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 am

Yes, the Ontario government is fighting to kill a puppy. There has beena pitbull ban in Ontario (all of Canada?) and any new puppies have to be put down by law, as a result of a number of pitbull attakcs.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/296926

I mean, I feel bad for the people who were attacked, but shouldn't the owners train these dogs to be viscious be punished? There has to be a better solution than just bannign the breed, what if we interbred with other gentler dogs?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:31 am

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL? Killing puppies?! WHAT THE #%*^% IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

Tell them that all babies need to be killed, because serial killers and rapists exist. Same goddamn logic. What have those puppies done?! NOTHING.

I have a half-staffie, half-rottie and he is the MOST goodnatured creature in the world. I adore him, he's more likely to lick you to death than anything else.

I'm so sick of this sort of breedism. If you raise any dog to be agressive it will be aggressive. If you raise them well, they will be well behaved.
And if you go into a gate that says "beware of the dog" you had BETTER damn well beware of the dog. You CANNOT complain afterwards that you've been horribly mauled. Stay out of other people's property and learn to read.

And keep your kids away from strange dogs. I don't like it when small children come up to me and put their sticky hands all over me. Apparently I have much less patience than most dogs. Even so, you cannot be surprised if a dog gets upset when a child pulls his ears or tail. So keep your grotty little children away from the poor puppies, and then they won't be horribly mauled. IT'S THAT FREAKIN' SIMPLE, PEOPLE.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:10 am

The government logic on this issue is that for so long the pittbull has been bred as a fighter that there is no other use for the breed...that you cannot breed out the aggression.

The ASPCA has been fighting this in places like Orlando Florida and other places that used to have a high percentage of dogfights.

If there is some form of ASPCA in Canada, then the best thing would be to see if they're lobbying to change the laws.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 am

Rotties and pittbulls are bred to have more aggression... but so are poodles. I have seen more ill-tempered poodles than pitbulls, except for people with Grow-Ops or owners like those of a certain racial class I will not mention (when they are kept only for guarding purposes, given no love, etc).

German Shephards are also quite violent. Big dogs all have problems of their brains growing bigger than their skulls can accomodate, and I have seen this problem result in hanging from the necks of cows and deer, even people.

If I had a pitbull or rottie puppy, I'm sorry, but the gov't would have to shoot me first before murdering my freaking dog just because of its breed.

Instead of a ban, they should have breeding regulated (as much as you can...) and those who will be buying one will have to get it registered, much as a gun.

Also, this is extermination of a BREED. Not just bad dogs, but an entire BREED!!!! It's the same freaking principle as nearly wiping out all the wolves in Canada.

IDIOTS! FLIPPING MORONS!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:47 pm

there is an SPCA/humane society in Canada and they are huge on this case.

I will admit, I don't know much about dog breeding, but it still upsets me. I meant, they are bred to be pre-disposed to aggression I thought.

I like the registering idea, I don't even mind muzzle laws. There are lots of dogs that wear muzzles as a precaution, they may just be old and irritable.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a vet. Apparently puppies get put down by breeders all the time if they don't meeet breed standards (i.e. have too much white). I need to research and find out if this is true because, although I want a humane society puppy, my fiance has a weakness for particular breeds. I think I was happier not knowing. Oh well, if anyone has info on this I would love to hear it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:24 pm

From what I understand, the official name of a "Pitt Bull" is a Bull Terrier. Originally , these dogs were bred to help herd cows...not aggressive, but territorial. They were supposed to be big and strong enough to grab a bull by his most sensitive part and bring him to his knees to prevent stampedes. They did this by locking onto the bull's nose and not letting go.

What ended up happening, when nasty types who breed fighting animals found out that Bull Terriers basically lock their jaw and are almost impossible to escape, they took the over-aggressive ones that the herders didn't want and threw them in the fighting pit.

As more effective ways of herding/controlling cows were discovered, the Bull Terrier lost it's draw as a herding dog. That meant that the majority of those who bred these dogs, bred them for the fighting arena. Over the years, the reputation as an aggressive, hateful dog became a stigma that led lawmakers to pass harsh laws on their breeding. Granted, if there are fight dogs in a family line, there is a good chance the dog might be aggressive. But to say that ONLY aggressive bloodlines are left is stupid.

As for the breeders, most reputable breeders of purebred show dogs will simply sterilize an animal that doesn't reach Kennel standard, and place them in a loving home. Only those who have no respect for life, and only see the dog as a commodity to be exploited will kill the puppies. Most of these breeders are probably doing something that will get the ASPCA on their case anyway.

I also know that there are programs out there to place retired racing dogs in good homes.

Yes, I admit, I used to watch WAY too much Animal Planet.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!