Harry Potter News!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Harry Potter News!

Post by Willow » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:18 pm

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/1272

Did you guys here about this? Rowling outed Dumbledore!!! I am so happy about this, I just hope that it generates positive discussion.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 am

I never particularily spent time thinking about Dumbledore's sexuality... Generally 'cause he's old enough to be my grandfather (twice over, I'm sure), and while I want to be "active" at that age, I don't want to think about him having that sort of interaction... [-X

*sudden need to iron everything* :lol:

But, it's a cool idea... I don't really see why it matters, but I can see how the hardcore fans would want to know! I'll have fun telling my friend Jenn on Tuesday, she's insane about the books!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:03 pm

I honestly think that she said this on the cuff. Perhaps it is a crafty attempt at focusing after the fact that the whole point of the series is tolerance. *shrugs*
This could be just a witty attempt to stick it to the fundies who want to ban her books because they "promote" witchcraft.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:03 am

Yeah I heard about that, it's cool, but now I feel compelled to re-read the whole series from that perspective, because I had never really given it much thought before. Damn you Rowling, making me re-read all those books!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 am

SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T READ THE LAST BOOK!

Anyone read the last book closely? I noticed that there was something between Dumbledore and Grindelwald while they were teenagers. I read it as a little attraction between them, especially from Dumbledore's part where he hung on everything Grindelwald said, but I thought she'd just over-egged their friendship by accident. I was so happy to find out that it was actually true!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

*sudden need to iron everything*
LOL,i sn't that from everybody loves raymond or something?

Jessica, I never saw that but now I have an excuse to read the book again, thank you!

Maybe it was a publicity stunt, but I am happy about it. My mom mde some suggestive comments about the Harry Dumbledore relationship, but I always thought dumbledore made agreat mentor! We are too neurotic as a society. People here find it wierd if a man wants to be a kindergarten teacher, it's really sad.

Oh well. Off to read book 7 again.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Read it closely? I think it wasn't all that hard to see the Dumbledore/Grindlewald attraction if you are over the age of like 14 reading the silly thing. Albus all but came out and said he wanted to jump Gellert in that whole "mystical 9 3/4 scene".
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 am

Kystar, I couldn't tell whether it was my inner fangirl just wishing it were true or whether JKR meant to write it that way :lol: I'm glad someone else noticed it!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Honestly, I wasn't sure if my slash-o-meter was up too high from various fanfics or not, but I wasn't surprised when JKR came out about it.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:14 am

I caught it too, but like I said, I shy away from thinking about the sexuality of people old enough to be my Grandpa! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was much more intreiged by that incredible writing that happened when she started writing about Snape's memories =D> ... I couldn't put the thing down, although up to that point I was somewhat disapointed with the story. :-?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:43 pm

I was disapointed with the last chapter, it read like a bad fanfic, but I thought the rest was awesome.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Honestly, after book 6, I had to force myself to read book 7.

And it irritated me that it all but turned into a spin-off of Star Wars...what with the ENTIRE government/world out against them. (Die, Rebel Scum!)

There were parts that were cool...but overall, I enjoyed two fanfics that covered years 6 & 7 more. Not slash fics, either. (PM me if you want the info on what/where, as I don't have the author's permission to post it here.)

But I could go on for HOURS about what I didn't like about Half-Blood and Deathly...not fun.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:04 am

The last 2 Chapters were miserable... That last battle with Voldemort, while not hideous, was so contrived as to silly... I mean, it was a Deus ex Machina!

And there was no "Twenty years later..." Chapter in my books... If I have to rip it out to make it so, then so be it! :evil: :lol:

And yet... I did love that bit with Snape... ;)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 pm

I wouldn't mind the fanfic info.

I liked voldemort's death, I thought he deserved an understated death.

I would love to hear what you didn't like, maybe we can start a discussion in the book section.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 am

Sounds Interesting... I would love an actual book discussion.

Maybe we should start a reading club on here...

Once a month we choose a short book (no more than 1000 pages) and read it and discuss it.

That would be cool.

I judge that the first book should be Dies the Fire by SM Stirling...

1) Because it's a really good book.
2) Because a Wiccan is one of the main characters.
3) Because it's already on my list of 'Books to Re-read next' :lol: :lol: :lol: