He's NOT the messiah, he's a VERY naughty boy!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Ragnar

He's NOT the messiah, he's a VERY naughty boy!

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 am

In the 56 years since it was first awarded, the Blake Prize for Religious Art has not been noted for controversy.

But this year's entries for the coveted £6,000 award have caused a chorus of outrage from Christians and Muslims alike.

They include a portrait of Osama Bin Laden which, viewed from an angle, morphs into an image of Christ.
And just for good measure there is a figure of the Virgin Mary, hands clasped in prayer, with an Islamic burqa concealing her upper body apart from the eyes.
While such exhibits might merely cause raised eyebrows if entered for Britain's always-controversial Turner Prize, the decision to place them on show at the National Art School in Sydney has caused deep upset in Australia, whose 20million population is predominantly Christian.
"The choice of such artwork is gratuitously offensive to the religious beliefs of many Australians," said Prime Minister John Howard.
And Labour Opposition leader Kevin Rudd said: "I accept people can have artistic freedom, but I find this painting off, off in the extreme. I understand how people would be offended by it."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1811

Where are the riots? the burning embassies, the placards calling for....Oh, Sorry that was ANOTHER peace loving religion, wasn't it.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:28 am

Wsell, maybe austrailia won't riot, I wonder if there would be riots in other countries such as latin America.

Interesting article though, I am going to try and find a copy of this picture online.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:32 am

There is a copy with the link I gave. #-o :-D

Interesting point about South America. Maybe.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:47 am

Well, the artists must be absolutely squeeing their brains out at the moment. Not only have they pissed off most of society - a goal for many artists - but they are international news. :-D Congrats to them!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes