Student Politics

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Student Politics

Post by Willow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:38 pm

I think I am putting this here because it is student politics.

I am on several committees. On one such comittee, the president is conatanly complaining that they are too busy. So, on HER request, I decided to head up a project that would theoreticaly take the heat off her plate. Long story short the president has decided to poke their finger in the pie at every turn, and now wants me to sschedule an extra meeting so all ten people on the comittee can "critique" my project at once.

I requested that all criticisms be related to substance rather than format/grammar/spelling and I would have one of the free editors at the school look over it rather than trying to organise ten people's intrepretation of grammar, making for a very long meeting.

I have now been told that (a) I didn't involve the president in the project enough and (b) I am being irrational about not wanting grammar critiqued, and that eveyone on the comittee should have the right to have an opinion.

I am now torn, I want everyone to have an opinion, but everyone is already complaining they have too much to do to sit through a five hour meeting.Since I will only be on this comittee for one more year, I am debating if I should just deal with it, or confront her on it. I also feel like since she complains to me all the time about how busy she is, I should point out that she is bringing it on herself, but I don't really like to give life advice.

I don't know what I want, I think I just wanted to put this problem into writing so I didn't miss any parts of the story myself when trying to decide how to proceed.

Thanks for listening.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:54 am

Politics, committees... When the stupid and unreasonable rise to power, and are supported wholeheartedly, that none listen to sense... Arg, it seems the norm. I am not saying the president of your committee is stupid. Perhaps everyone is just weary with school and indeed need to feel they are actually making a mark and in overenthusiasm feel it is better to say something critical than to say something with meaning.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:46 am

True, all the scholarship applicat5ions are out right now and that could be causing a lot of stress.

I just never understand people, they make sense ont heir own, but do wierdthings when they get power or in groups.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm going through a situation like this right now (did yours get resolved?) Our president has gone ahead and arranged the departmental sweatshirts this year with a new logo and new pricing and stuff and he showed me today and although I felt the new logo would look a bit too large on the backs of the sweats I thought that since he's the president (and has been researching these sweats for ages, poor guy) he will make sure that it all goes together well.

Well...two of our fellow committee members (one of whom is the vice president) came into the office and I showed them the logo and pricing and the VP was angry that the president hadn't called a meeting to decide what should go on the sweats and that he'd changed the prices.

Now, I am with her on the logo and I said so, but I don't think our president did it to slight her specifically and he has been very busy lately and has had informal chats with each of us about these hoodies, so my feeling is that he simply forgot who he said what to and went ahead with something that got discussed by everyone individually. It's still not right and/or democratic, but it's done.

I don't really understand how people can blow up when someone else has put a lot of time and effort into arranging something, particularly when meetings have been scheduled and some people can't even be bothered to turn up!

So group politics are very difficult ones to balance!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Yeah everything worked out, she just slowly backed down as she got busier and our orientationw as great.

That sucks for your group eh? And it is such a little thing to fight over. The smallest things seemt o cause the biggest fights.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)