Possible Lead on a Cure for AIDS?

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Possible Lead on a Cure for AIDS?

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 pm

CHICAGO (AFP) - In a breakthrough that could potentially lead to a cure for HIV infection, scientists have discovered a way to remove the virus from infected cells, a study released Thursday said.

The scientists engineered an enzyme which attacks the DNA of the HIV virus and cuts it out of the infected cell, according to the study published in Science magazine.

The enzyme is still far from being ready to use as a treatment, the authors warned, but it offers a glimmer of hope for the more than 40 million people infected worldwide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070628/hl ... sLX7Dq188F
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:06 am

This development sounds wonderful...but I can't help thinking of all the animals they would have tested it on and my heart bleeds. 40 million people could be saved by this treatment and of course I wish them the best, but I don't think it is the responsibility for one species to bear the brunt of science for another. HIV is a human concern and it hurts me to think of the other creatures who have been abused for our benefit.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:42 am

I know... Animal testing makes me cringe. I refuse cosmetics that have been tested on animals, and I try to take as few meds as possible, not only because they are bad for me, but because they have all been tested on animals.

However, in a life or death situation, I'd take the drugs :-(
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:44 pm

I think animal testing can be justified for such an important case as this.

What I DO object to is the repeats of tests, of which the results were known years back, things like "slimming drugs", and cosmetics. For those there is NO excuse.

They could of course offer sentence reductions for volunteers from prisons.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:32 am

What other animals get HIV? Was it chimpanzees? It contains the word "human" so I assume it's a rather specific disease. I think I read something once about the virus coming about in humans originally because of some, err, dilly-dallying with primates. But who knows?

In that article, when they say DNA, do they mean DNA or are they just using it as a catch-all term? I was under the impression that HIV was a retrovirus... I mean, they'd still have DNA when they were replicating but I imagine the cure would work better if it concentrated on the RNA. But perhaps they're just using "DNA" because it's a more familiar term?

Damn university has made me ever so critical :roll: I always yell at the TV when someone on it says that scientists have "proved" anything.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:42 am

Yeah it originated from chimpanzees, but as far as other animals who can have it, I know cats have their own version of feline AIDS, but it's not the same as human AIDS as humans can't catch it.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:58 am

It horrified me when I first found out that they experimented on chimpanzees. I mean, it's dreadful regardless of what animal they use... necessary in some cases in medicine, but still dreadful... but chimpanzees? Only 5 million years separate us from them. It would be like experimenting on a child! ... worse in some cases, given some children.

There's a man out there somewhere trying to get human rights for chimpanzees. Which weirds me out something chronic, for some reason.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Hmmm,
I am going to have to read more about this.Uni makes everyone critical windwalker, you should hear me growl every time someone says "well Muslims believe X because it's wrritten in their Bible" Grrrrr

As for the animal testing, I think there are ethical ways to do it, but there are many other ways they can model it first.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:45 pm

I am going to have to read more about this.Uni makes everyone critical windwalker, you should hear me growl every time someone says "well Muslims believe X because it's wrritten in their Bible" Grrrrr
Or every time they mention Darwin but no Wallace, or any number of things of Native religion and anthropology. Or excludes the correct use of the word WHOM!!!!
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:24 pm

I remember when this was first been talkeed about, that there was a theory it (AIDS) came from ...I think it was a "green monkey" in Africa. It was caused/passed on by eating this monkey.

I don't know if this is one of those theories that has been destroyed by newer research. But that is the way it was told in the late 70s early 80s.

I reember thinking at the time, "damn, I didn't know you could buy green monkeys in San Fransisco", where, as far as I am aware, the first cases of AIDS were discovered. :-?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:47 am

I haven't read the article yet, but the Iranians supposably have come up with an all natural cure for aids. However to get access to this natural herbal cure, you have to go and stay with them for the 10 year process, not have any visits from family, and never tell anybody what herbs were used or how they were used... Need I continue? :-D :roll: Not certain if I trust anything that comes with these sort of contingencies attached! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:24 am

Ah but then there are stories of men and women on death's door who were taken under the wing of great witches & shamans, never heard from in seven years, and re-emerge as incredible healers.

But I, like you, would not trust such a scheme, at least not the way it is presented. Mind, I am not sure if I would be that desperate to save my life, not that I would willingly give it up without one heck of a fight.

If it were me, I'd rather spend my last ten years in the loving embrace of friends and family. Would my life be worth leaving my love and my family behind? Especially with the worry it would cause them in those ten years?
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:07 am

I agree, ten years away from family....not worth it.

Cynicism (to an extent) is a healthy trait. It makes it harder for people to be taken in by crap.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:45 am

Not that I wouldn't love for there to be a cure... I just don't trust the way it's being presented... For example, absolutely no other doctors allowed.

And yeah, family is worth more... Although, if I was 20, and I knew I'd die within the next 3 years if I didn't have the treatment... I'd rather take the treatment, and then have the rest of my life to spend with them... Otherwise forget it. ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:18 am

I don't know, I guess I'm a bit more hardcore about animal testing, I wouldn't accept anything that has been tested on animals and even though I'd die without this drug or that drug, I just wouldn't take it. So much suffering goes into the creation of these 'wonder drugs' that it can't be a positive thing to benefit, can it?

One of the first thing a research scientist will say is "So many lives will benefit..." Really? That many lives? What about the creatures who are bearing the brunt of the tests to formulate a drug that will never benefit their own species? How pointless is that? I do worry that human life is getting seriously over-extended and we're overpopulating the world because of it. Instead of death being the natural conclusion of life and ageing being a natural, graceful process, doctors and scientists see death as just another challenge to overcome and everyday folks see ageing as something that doesn't have to happen. It worries me and I know more and more animals are going to suffer from our obsession over youthfulness and longevity.

Sometimes what's meant to be, is just meant to be.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men