What if...

Now here's something to get steamed up about.

would you vote for a pagan president?

Yes! That would be so cool!
21%
NO. America isn't ready for that yet.
7%
Maybe, but it depends if he has my ideals in heart.
71%

Total votes: 14

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri May 18, 2007 5:13 am

Well if he was normal religious then it would depend on whether I thought he was capable of running a country, and then what his views are on the big issues (the war, abortion and women's rights, gun control, gay rights, etc). Basically, would I vote for him simply BECAUSE he was pagan? No. I need to be pretty sure that he's mentally stable enough and INTELLIGENT enough to make the right decisions for the country while he's in office.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri May 18, 2007 5:38 am

morgana wrote:Well if he was normal religious then it would depend on whether I thought he was capable of running a country, and then what his views are on the big issues (the war, abortion and women's rights, gun control, gay rights, etc). Basically, would I vote for him simply BECAUSE he was pagan? No. I need to be pretty sure that he's mentally stable enough and INTELLIGENT enough to make the right decisions for the country while he's in office.
Well, DUH! I guess that's my fault though, I wasn't specific enough... OK! Lets try this again, normal religious, pagan president, who is intelligent and isn't completely against what you fight for (just minor differences).

NOW what do you think? ;)
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri May 18, 2007 6:09 am

Underlilith... Can you win in a board full of perfectionists? ;)

I think it might be interesting. A change, anyway. I think in politics you have to choose the lesser of the evils. I've found very few that I am rooting for all the way - much of what fuels my vigour for them is my loathing of their competitor, which isn't good manifesting O_O ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri May 18, 2007 7:08 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Underlilith... Can you win in a board full of perfectionists? ;)
I suppose not... :roll: I can still try though. :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri May 18, 2007 7:58 am

Well, I suppose I might vote for him, but do I think he'd win? That's something else entirely. I doubt that at this point in the US that he'd even win a nomination, let alone be in the final running for presidency. So I guess I'd say the country's not ready for it yet. In my personal opinion the country NEEDS someone with a different viewpoint, rather than the typical old rich white christian men who keep winning, but I suppose most people just aren't open-minded enough for that yet. Though who knows? with this next election there is a possibility of either a black man or a white woman, so perhaps we ARE headed toward change.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm

morgana wrote:it seems like any time they try to get a pagan of any sort on television, they always seem to go with the idea that crazier is better.
They are the ones that the T.V pick. They would not be interested in "sensible old US". :roll:

We were told by one T.V company that we were "Too normal"!

What they were wanting was the 16 year old "High priest of the seventeenth door of the temple of the stick insect, with a nasty scar to prove it".

Who likes dancing naked on Wal-marts carpark at 3 A.M, Worships fridges, with or without interrnal light, and carries so many penrtagrams around their neck, that the coast guard have declared them a "navigation hazard, due to all that metal upseting compass berarings", and listens to Marlyn Manson played backwards all day.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat May 19, 2007 1:47 am

I think that if a politician supported all the things I support and dissed all the things I dissed AND was a Pagan on top of all that...aside from wondering if they were a clone of me, I'd probably vote for them :-D

I think that British politics is slightly different to American/Canadian politics. Over here it matters little what you believe if you do it in private, but as soon as you stick your neck out and say what you believe, you're scrutinised very strictly. Tony Blair made the mistake of saying on a chat show that he prayed about whether it was right to go to war in Iraq and in the end only God can judge him over it.

I think anyone of strong public faith wouldn't recieve very many votes over here because so many Brits claim to be agnostic or atheist and the people who do have religion are so few in number that a guy is very unlikely to get in if he or she is very open about their faith. A Pagan or Heathen who takes part in regular circles, yet has a life outside their faith would make a good politician...as soon as they go on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross or Parkinson and start talking about how Mother Earth guides their hand...they'd be swished out of Parliament very fast for being too flaky.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat May 19, 2007 3:50 am

Jescissa, I wanna move there!!! See, this is the way government SHOULD be. It makes me sad that the US was founded on the idea of separation of Church and Sate, and yet the vast majority has issues with voting for someone who doesn't make their religious beliefs known! I personally prefer people to keep their religion to themselves, especially when they are running a country. One should have nothing to do with the other. :roll:

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue May 22, 2007 2:56 am

That's what I believe, politics and religion should never be mixed. It doesn't matter what a politician believes, or it shouldn't matter what they believe! When you're serving the public, you go with the public and a lot of them won't believe in what you believe.

I guess it's what most annoys me about the Doctors who won't perform terminations because of their religious beliefs. They're serving the public and should do what is requested of them, and if they cannot find it in themselves to comply, they should be bound into sending the patient to a doctor who WILL do it.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 22, 2007 3:10 am

Jescissa wrote:They're serving the public and should do what is requested of them, and if they cannot find it in themselves to comply, they should be bound into sending the patient to a doctor who WILL do it.
They should be regulated the same as Barristers. You take the case thats given you, like it or notr. And if you are seen not to be running the case correctly, you are out on your ear and taking orders for French fries and cola.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue May 22, 2007 8:56 am

I don't agree with doctors who refuse to help people move on because of their religious beliefs... but I can agree with the ones who say that based on the fact that a doctor should only give life and never take it away... then I'm more on the fence, because I can see the viewpoint... even then I believe that you should always be given the choice, to stay or go! [-X
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue May 22, 2007 9:54 am

Who likes dancing naked on Wal-marts carpark at 3 A.M, Worships fridges, with or without interrnal light, and carries so many penrtagrams around their neck, that the coast guard have declared them a "navigation hazard, due to all that metal upseting compass berarings", and listens to Marlyn Manson played backwards all day.
You were at that party too? In my defense I won 20$ dancing naked on the walmart garage.

:oops: ahem :oops:

I can't rememeber what the status of it is, but here in Canada there were judges refusing to perform gay marriages in their courts on the basis of personal belief. I think that is BS, even though aboriginal judges very rarely believe in prison as a good punishment, they still have to give out jail sentences. Sorry, in this case, law definately trumps religion.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)