What if...

Now here's something to get steamed up about.

would you vote for a pagan president?

Yes! That would be so cool!
21%
NO. America isn't ready for that yet.
7%
Maybe, but it depends if he has my ideals in heart.
71%

Total votes: 14

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

What if...

Post by underlilith » Wed May 16, 2007 5:22 am

I was just wondering... what if a pagan ran for president? and then, what if he/she practiced witchcraft? (i realize some pagans don't do witchcraft). I don't think anyone has considered it as of yet, but i wanted to know your opinion.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 am

I have to say, I don't care about their religion. I care about their ability to run my country.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 am

I agree with Willow.

In some ways, I'd rather my government be non-religious. In other ways, I'd like them to be.

I like Paul Martin's example. When it came time for the decisioin on if homosexuals can marry, he, a church-going man, put aside his personal beliefs and religion and did what was best for the country. There were stories that initially the Pope threatened to kick him out of the church, but they were later denied. Martin, as much as I despise his decision to go to Afghanistan, displayed something very rare in the politician's world: ethics.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Wed May 16, 2007 6:16 am

I base my vote on other things but the religious believes of a candidate! I would not vote for a hard core fundy no matter what religion!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 16, 2007 7:58 am

If I agree with somebodies policies, I'll vote for them. Or in the case of a certain water-skiing applicant for Prime Minister, his policy on one thing, abortion, almost made me overlook all of his other shortcomings... He said that abortion was and should stay a woman's personal choice, because there was no way that 400 men could make that decision. :lol: And I completely agree with that!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 am

You realise there are only two other people on the board who will get that joke eh? :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 am

Yeah, but what can I say...

Oh, wait I know...

"It was a moment of weakness...!" :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Mr Waterskiing almost PM was against abortion and women's and gay rights, though. Wasn't he???
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 pm

I am not sure,
I met him in real life, he was very nice, but incredibly short, I turned around in Tim Hortons when the cashier said "Stockwell Day" is behind you" and I had to look down to see him.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed May 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I agree, it would depend on his competence level for running the country. Also something to consider would be in what WAY he is religious. In a crazy sort of way, or in a more laid back and normal sort of way. Cuz I dunno if it's just here in the States, but it seems like any time they try to get a pagan of any sort on television, they always seem to go with the idea that crazier is better. So if he was the sort that advocated invoking the spirit of some made up diety on the front lawn of the White House in the nude while speaking in tongues, and running around converting the masses, I definitely wouldn't vote for him. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Whats a "Pagan"?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu May 17, 2007 6:25 am

You met him, Willow? Crazy.

My father went to one of his speeches when he was in BC - came back with a load of trash in his head about how he would get this country straight and didn't listen to a thing about how he was against women's rights and gay rights. He just got frusterated and left.

I didn't know he was that short! :lol: 8-)
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu May 17, 2007 7:21 am

He's a good speaker, same with mulroney, I have several prime ministers and candidates. They are all usually really short or really tall. But good speakers, very convincing if nothing else.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu May 17, 2007 12:22 pm

I knew he was short, but I didn't know he was that short... :lol:

You know, nww that you mention it CHL, I can't remember what his other policies were. I just remember that somebody in parliment stood up and said that it was evil and they would make the decision for everyone, and Day standing up and saying the previous line... And I really agreed with it.

Hmm, I should do a search to see what I can find on his beliefs.

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri May 18, 2007 4:47 am

morgana wrote:I agree, it would depend on his competence level for running the country. Also something to consider would be in what WAY he is religious. In a crazy sort of way, or in a more laid back and normal sort of way. Cuz I dunno if it's just here in the States, but it seems like any time they try to get a pagan of any sort on television, they always seem to go with the idea that crazier is better. So if he was the sort that advocated invoking the spirit of some made up diety on the front lawn of the White House in the nude while speaking in tongues, and running around converting the masses, I definitely wouldn't vote for him. :roll:
Ok... then assume that he/she's normal type religious (not a fanatic).
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll