Some men hunt for sport, others hunt for food...

Now here's something to get steamed up about.

Is hunting right in this day and age?

Yes, for food only
83%
Yes, for food and sport
8%
No, hunting is not right
8%

Total votes: 12

high-tech redneck
Level 4
Level 4

have not hunted in years .

Post by high-tech redneck » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:01 am

i have not been hunting in years part because my exwifes spirit animal is the deer/fawn and partly cause of the navy and consentrating on other things. hunting and flyfishing used tobe such a big part of my life i feel like i have strayed from my roots.

when i first saw the title of this thread i was hesatant to open it cause i figured it might be a flampost for anti-hunting .i would like to say im sry for that preconseption and would like to thank yall for proving me wrong .

i used to get so lost in nature while i was out hunting and fishing .when i was flyfishing it was the sound of the river that i was standing in . the smell of the forest ,sound of the birds,the sound of the squirles, watching the otters play down river,seeing deer along the bank watching me and my dad fish. when i was hunting in was a lot of the same sensations. there was also a sence of peace like everything was right in the world . for those people that do not hunt or fish for food it is so hard to try and get them to understand these things . hunting,fishing,gathering the things that nature provides for us to use is apart of who we are .wheather we kill,raise,make or buy in a store it is all the same. but if you make the effort and go to nature your self and thank the deer or fish for give up its spirit so as to sutain your lifeor provide clothing and tools .then you are participating in natures design. of course then you have to be aware that you are now a part of that circele also and are fair game for a mt lion ,bear, or other preditor that may take intereste.
Last edited by high-tech redneck on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the sacred mother hold you and keep you safe always.
http://www.myspace.com/bckwoods

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 am

Hey high tech...no worries I am alwas happy and relieved at the variety of opinions on this board. And it is nice when people disagree with me because they make me think about my own beliefs. I would bet that a lot of people on this board feel the same way.

Always feel free to disagree.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

high-tech redneck
Level 4
Level 4

opinions

Post by high-tech redneck » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:18 am

it is nice to be in a place where a differance in life styles and beliefes does not have to lead to a flame session. :)
May the sacred mother hold you and keep you safe always.
http://www.myspace.com/bckwoods

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Willow wrote:I am intertested in this population control thing.

If we let nature take its course, populations even out over time. Moose do have predators, wolves and wolverines, cougars...etc. Same with deer. Those animals also have regular lands, if they over eat themselves then there are a few years where the young don't live and the populations evens out while the land regrows.

As well with the roads, does hunting really keep more deer off of the road? What about deer whistles, not driving fast in the evening and at sunrise. And the occasional fence?

Just curious, i never drew a connection between hunting and things like that, I always thought it was best to let nature take care of it.
Yes, deer do have natural predators they are called Buick, Pontiac, and Honda.
Mind you I am a very careful driver: This past year I've almost (very near misses) hit around 10 deer. One jumped onto the road from off a steep hill and by the grace of the Goddess I missed it.
A fence cannot go everywhere......city zoning. Driver caution is not full proof. As for not driving fast....I cannot drive fast in Worthington (where I almost hit the most deer) anyway.
As for nature taking care of it, the natural parks in the area have problems keeping native Ohioan plants from going extinct from deer overeating.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:08 am

High-tech Redneck wrote:it is nice to be in a place where a differance in life styles and beliefes does not have to lead to a flame session
:-D :-D :-D Totally agree! I really like the way people can just agree to disagree here and it doesn't get personal and nasty, I've known a good few boards like that. The Library is a great place to be :-D

I've never hunted an animal or raised an animal for slaughter, but in the recent past my family were tied to the land closely. My dad's family come from Herefordshire, the orchard country. Cider is in my blood :lol: Not too long ago, my dad and his siblings would raise a pig with their parents, play with it and ride it in the garden...then go out for the day with grandma and come back to find the garden empty and pork on the table for dinner. Knowing where meat comes from and respecting that it was once alive was an important part of growing up for them and when I was young my dad always used to tell me stories of when he was young and growing-up on a farm where he had to feed and take care of animals he knew were going to end up on the table one day.

It doesn't horrify me that some people hunt and kill animals for their own consumption...it does horrify me when animals are treated badly their entire lives and so much of their sacrifice is wasted.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am

My husband hunts for sport. One Weekend in november he and a group of friends go in the woods and (TRY) to shot a deer.
His friend got one last year and they processed it and the meat is for food.
For some strange reason, the deer gets gutted right there in the woods and the guts are left behind.
This somehow reminded me of ancient traditions of leaving something for the gods that made the hunt successful.
I think the main reason he and his friends go to "deer camp" is for them to sit in the woods by a fire, drink lots of beer and tell dirty jokes. I call it "beer camp" Why they would choose November to camp I don't know ... :lol:

I don't like the fact that he is hunting - though, he never got a deer himself. He says it's to regulate the deer population - I say, bring the wolfs back - he says the farmers will shot the wolfs ... *sigh*

On the same token - what about fishing? - oops - Fishing was already mentioned :o

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:51 am

I'd love to see more wolves back in the wild, but the way foxes get treated it's probably for the best there are no wolves where I live :s

Some cultures used to leave behind the deer's skull to tell other hunters what could be found in the area and how many have already been taken to avoid over-hunting in one area.

As for fishing, I feel that a fisherman going out with line or net and catching fish for himself is a pretty relaxing way to hunt! He sits there and waits for the line to give a twitch.

What upsets me is huge trawlers that go out, haul in their nets and have to throw back a lot of the fish that (according to the European Union) don't fit the right criteria. By being brought out of the water, the fish suffocate and through handling they get burned. By all means use the bounty of the sea...but don't abuse it. Cod stocks in the North Sea are really, really low now because the cod aren't given enough time to grow and spawn the next generation.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Re: opinions

Post by Ragnar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:20 am

high-tech redneck wrote:it is nice to be in a place where a differance in life styles and beliefes does not have to lead to a flame session. :)
I am on another board for wargaming, miniature soldier collecting/painting. THERE it is like a fight in a hen house.

My Wife, I think, hit the nail on the head; "They all suffer from testosterone poisoning". :-D

(Something that is MOST deffinately a problem with the "Norse/Asatru sites).

But here, there are WELL enough Ladies to keep us wild ones on the straight and narrow. :lol:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:38 pm

We do have a rather large female population don't we?

Can't say I disaprove... But then, I'm female! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:43 am

I am not complaining. 8-)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:12 am

Kitsune wrote:We do have a rather large female population don't we?.....
It is interesting that you should mention that.
Does anyone have any theories as to why that might be?
Are there more female Pagans than male ones?
Are females more likely to admit (or realise) that they are pagan?
Are females more likely to participate in a forum?
......?
.........?

Does anyone have any ideas on this subject?
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:10 am

I don't know whether there are more female pagans than male ones... I think that gossiping and sharing ideas is more a female thing (at least linguistically it's more common in women's speech patterns than men's) so that could explain why there are more women here...then again, it's not as if all men are anti-social either, anyone is capable of finding an internet forum :lol:

What would be interesting is to see how many of us are solitaries compared to how many practice in a group. If more are solitary, presumably we sought the Library out to communicate with like-minded souls we couldn't find in the area we live in??

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:38 pm

*Withdraws from conversation......*

Umm, I can look for some stats. I think, but I have no reference, that there are significantly more woman pagans than men. But please don't quote me, I will ask around.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Well, Paganism by trade really empowers the feminine. Since the feminine has been shot down & beaten & stripped of its integrity in many religions, Paganism naturally draws a lot of women. This is also why bellydancing is seeing a revival. It's becoming acceptable to honour your feminine side, and you won't be burned for it! At least not in most places.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:48 pm

OH, CHL I should be learning Bellydancing in the next couple months.

I came on this board when I realized I really wanted to talk with like minded individuals, but the only ones in my area are either pretenders or ex's of my ex, and therefore I have the idea that I should probally stay away. :-?

I've been told by Grimwell that he finds that most men who get into paganism tend to find the pretenders who only want to take out there anger on males for the disrespect and disapointment that they're suffered. This tends to make it very difficult to want to stay in that situation. However if they find respect, equality (or perhaps, can't find anybody until they're well established solitaries and aren't going to change their religion because they met some woman who are femi-nazi's) then they tend to stay around for the rest of their lives.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews