Skinny models

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Skinny models

Post by Willow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:49 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

So this article is about lawmakers forbidding fashion shows from using skinny models.

I am totally for the idea of using natural weight models..but I don't know if llegislating will do any good. Primarily because, I don't think that most girls look at catwalk models. I think our girls are learning mroe the Lindsey Lohans and the Pasris Hiltons of the world.

I am curious, is this a step in the right direction? will it do any good? Should we be legslating TV and movies instead?
Last edited by Willow on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:10 am

I think that this is a wonderful idea. Its time to hold people accountable for this stupid bone think crap that is being pushed off into the media.
This is not an attainable goal (to be super skinny) since the people in media have millions of dollars and trainers to keep them bone thin.
IMO this is a start to correct the problem.

BB
lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 am

I agree with Lotus - they need to start making media show folks a realistic model of the female body. I for one, think super skinny really isn't all that attractive. And not just because I am about 20 pounds over weight ;) I feel women look better with a bit of meat on their bones - some curves so to speak. Now, going to the other end of the spectrum and being horribly over weight isn't very appealling or any healthier than being overly skinny either.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:32 am

I agree with the legislation, I don't think models and fashion houses are totally to blame, but if more natural weight models are being used, celebrities are sure to follow. I read a while ago that Victoria Beckham was now looking to get a bit more meat on her bones because she wanted to get pregnant again and a size zero woman will have extreme difficulty in that department.

Curves rock! Everyone seems to come out and say that...men, women, celebrities...and then we see previously curvy women lose it all and become pathetically skinny because of pressure to look good (Geri Halliwell had a figure to die for when she was in the Spice Girls, but when she left she became a shadow of herself, all skin and bones.) Why is that? If everyone around are saying curves are good, curves are natural, why do these women go out and starve themselves to lose their curves.

Beats me!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 am

I agree, curves rock. It's too bad there isn't a way to get the media to pay attention to normal size women as anything other than fat models.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:57 am

On this topic, one day I went into a Lane Bryant (a ladies plus size store), and I found it funny that instead of using the obviously bone thin models, they used NORMAL sized women who still wouldn't be categorized as plus size for their pictures. If only I had known, I could've been a plus size model, lol. :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 am

Ah yes this was a big thing for a while...

Funny how I would be considered plus-size... I'm 113lbs at 5'6"

This is one reason I love belly dancing. I'm slowly learning it, though I've been dancing sort of like this for a few years for health reasons (started off just dancing crazy ^_^ since I tend to have stagnant energy near the hips, especially nearing moontime, hip movements became a big part of my "dance" for lack of a better word :P )

I think belly dancing should be encouraged among younger people (not too young, of course, as bellies are exposed & this would be find in private classes among peers & friends but young teens doing this on stage would be... well, game for debate). Have you ever seen a bone-thin belly dancer?? It just looks... wrong to see them dance. You NEED curves to belly dance properly, and dancers are often very voluptuous. (sp?) It's not stripping, and indeed was in ancient times not a sexual display. It was a dance celebrating & empowering the feminine, the dark mysteries of femininity. Men were originally not allowed to witness it. Then Hollywood turned it into something purely sexual, and even now it's seen as something sensual you do for your lover. Yes, it is sensual, sexy, because feminine power is very sexy, but the goal of belly dancing is empowerment, not some other's enjoyment.

Belly dancing is witnessing a strong revival. It is giving women everywhere the strength to say, "I will not be bone-thin." Look at Shakira! I may not like her music, but I respect the fact that she will not submit to media pressure. Pink is my media hero.

I am seeing more and more women on television who are not bone-thin and are still portrayed as sexy. Even women who weigh more are seen as beautiful, sensual, sexy. I'm feeling more and more confident in this matter.

I also see young teens walking around with their butts hanging out of their jeans on one side, their bellies on the other, and I will never understand their self-confidence. When I was even 130lbs, I didn't have the courage to wear a short shirt. When you are 150 and only 5', that boggles my mind... In some small way I applaud them for the courage I never had.

Meh. Okay... that was a rant and a half.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:14 pm

I have to admit...I love Shakira's music :oops:

I absolutley love good beats.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:39 pm

I have yet to find a real, intelligent, person that watches this "cat walk" rubbish any way. Unless its to take the p...hmm, make fun, of the idiots up there.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:03 pm

LOL, rag I know what you mean.

whenever I see stuff like that on TV, my first thought is "oh god, would anyone actually wear that?

than I think "how much tape did it take to make that stay on?"
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 pm

Willow wrote: I think "how much tape did it take to make that stay on?"
What? Their head? Their arms and legs?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:32 am

some of the outfits....sometimes it is like the designer just taped cloth onto the model ad said Go!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:17 pm

*snickers*

My sis used to watch the Fashion Channel... in her anorexic days when she was trying to be "popular."

Of what I have happened to glimpse, I have seen a few interesting outfits one could never wear in public, but give incredible inspiration for stories (especially outlandish, Elven looking clothes ^_^ )

The outfits they have made entirely out of chocolate are incredible! Some look really stupid, but I'm a great fan of food art.

What incredible fun those would be if they came out on the market ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:46 am

Outfits made of chocolate....eewwww a waste of good chocolate, who wants to eat that after its been worn. :lol:
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:17 am

Well...there might be a special occasion for that :sex: :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."