Invisability possible!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Invisability possible!

Post by MettaPax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060731/sc_ ... visible_dc

:-o SWEET MOSES! :-D I can hardly wait to see how the world deals with this one! :lol:
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:19 am

Can't see it my self.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:14 am

*Groan* :roll:

I have to agree though, his real intentions are transparent.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:30 am

Me and Joe are still waiting for our Datajacks...

Invisibility is cool, but those would be way cooler.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Kitsune wrote:Me and Joe are still waiting for our Datajacks...

Invisibility is cool, but those would be way cooler.
Pray tell Kit... datajacks? :-k
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:46 am

I don't know what Science Magazine I saw it in, but they are currently working on ways to intergrate computers into the brain. By running yourself into the computer, you can react much faster, and be much more accurate in first person shooters :lol: .

The RPG Shadowrun described this peice of Technology in 1986 when the game first came out. (Was it 1986, I'm not 100% sure of the exact year). They named it a Datajack, since the data transfers between your mind and the machine through a jack, much like a headphones jack...

Very cool bit of tech. We can't wait for it to come out...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 am

Oh...computer in the brain, not sure if I am cool with that.

What if there is a virus or spyware? 8-)

I don't knoe, I like being a self contained unit, it is hard enough for me to get a shot, let alone have a data jack implated. You let me know how it is. :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 am

:-( Ummmm... :-? sounds a bit too MATRIX for me... :roll: I mean seriously what if an AI was introduced to the computer you were linked up to??? #-o CHAOS! :oops: Besides, we are perfect just as we are, just as nature intended. :-D
-Yoda

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:31 am

Your brain has to handle the damage if a virus gets through. In the game, such virus's are now called ICE (Intrusive Counter Measures or some such) and if they get by your defenses, it is only the strength of your brain that will save you.

It is dangerous, but it will be much faster and much more accurate. In the first person shooter games, that they had test subjects working on, their accuracy was which was as high as 48%, was up around 92% with the devices installed. Although currently they aren't invasive, they are a web sort of thing that sits on your head, I think.

I'll ask Joe or find the site for it so that you can all take a look.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:39 am

Sorry for the double post, but I also wanted to comment on the Matrix bit that was said.

It really comes down to, what is reality?

I view reality, as the sum total of all of your experiances, whether they happen in dreams, in the astral, in the "real" world or in the Matrix.

What is the difference between the astral, and the Matrix? After all, you still have to take at least one step to the side to see into them. People think that we're insane, for seeing these things. What I ask, is why is there so much emphasis put on the mode, by which you experiance these things?

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:43 pm

wanted to comment on the invisibility issue.
If you were to do what the scientist suggested then you would be blind. Because if you bend light waves around you then none of them would reach your eyes.
But it is possible nevertheless. It is possible to pull in your awareness and your consciousness to such a degree that other people are simply not aware that you are around. If a photograph was taken you would appear on it but the other people in the photo wouldn't remember you being there. You can deliberately escape notice.
That is real invisibility. and practical too in many instances.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:39 am

All I know is that the line to spy on Vincent D'Onofrio naked starts behind me! Yeehaw!
:finga:
"Obedezco pero no complo"

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:20 am

Hmm, lesson number two.. using our powers for good or for awesome?

Where do we draw the line?

well mine starts behind aragorn :P and into the caramilk factory.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:51 pm

This takes me back many years (probably 30 or so) when I met an Indian man who claimed that he can make himself invisible.

Presumably he was a hindu or a sikh?

Obviously he did not demonstrate his ability, especially seeing that we were travelling on a bus through the swiss alps at the time.

I had, at the time, no reason to disbelieve him.
But I have always wondered: In a state of invisibility, is he really invisible, or does he believe that he is invisible?

Does anyone have any experiences (first, secon, or third hand) with actual invisibility?

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:29 am

He was more likely a Hindu than a Sikh, I have met a person who claimed they could levitate.

Hinduism can be different sometimes. A guru at a world religons conference told me this story.

There was a guru approached by a family of Hindu's. They said to the Guru "our son has died before his time, the astrologers said he would die five years from now, can you fix this."

The guru walked into the nearest morgue (read, pile of thousands of bodies in a cold room) and picked a body and brought it back to life. The family said "Thank you guru but this is not our son." Unphased, the guru picked another body and raised it back to life." Again the family was impressed but that was not their son. On his third try the guru picked the right man and brought him back to life much to the elation of the family.

A visintg reporter from America saw the whole incident and was amazed "Its a miracle" he cried "I never believed anyone would ever actually be raised from the dead."

One of the guru's devotees looked at the reporter and said "Well yes, raising people from the dead is impressive, but the real miracle is that he actually found the body after only three tries"

Don't worry if you don't get it, the guru who told me this almost died laughing, I had to study India for a while before the joke really became funny.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)