No way should this ever be allowed!

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

No way should this ever be allowed!

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri May 19, 2006 1:38 am

This is appalling!

Extract:
In the Valle de San Felix, the purest water in Chile runs from 2 rivers, fed by 2 glaciers. Water is a most precious resource, and wars are fought for it. Indigenous farmers use the water, there is no unemployment, and they provide the second largest source of income for the area.

Under the glaciers has been found a huge deposit of gold, silver and other minerals. To get at these, it would be necessary to break, to destroy the glaciers - something never conceived of in the history of the world - and to make 2 huge holes, each as big as a whole mountain, one for extraction and one for the mine's rubbish tip.

The project is called PASCUA LAMA. The company is called Barrick Gold. The operation is planned by a multi-national company, one of whose members is George Bush Senior. The Chilean Government has approved the project to start this year, 2006. The only reason it hasn't started yet is because the farmers have got a temporary stay of execution.

If they destroy the glaciers, they will not just destroy the source of especially pure water, but they will permanently contaminate the 2 rivers so they will never again be fit for human or animal consumption because of the use of cyanide and sulphuric acid in the extraction process.

Every last gram of gold will go abroad to the multinational company and not one will be left with the people whose land it is. They will only be left with the poisoned water and the resulting illnesses.

The farmers have been fighting a long time for their land, but have been forbidden to make a TV appeal by a ban from the Ministry of the Interior. Their only hope now of putting brakes on this project is to get help from international justice.

The world must know what is happening in Chile. The only place to start changing the world is from here.

Here are some links to further information on the project:-

http://www.miningwatch.ca/index.php?...ama_Background
http://www.minesandcommunities.org/Action/press878.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascua_Lama

Spread the word!
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri May 19, 2006 5:18 am

Absolutely evil. I can think of no better way to describe it right now as I am so angry at the level of greed. :evil:
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri May 19, 2006 5:38 am

Did some more web research - looks like it's too late and the project has been approved. :evil: So they don't approve the method of getting the gold but they approve the mine? What difference does it make? In South America it is notoriously known that once big business gets a go ahead they will do things any way they like and grease palms to do so. The "method not approved" statement is just for the masses and means nothing IMO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/chile/story/0 ... 35,00.html

http://www.tcgnews.com/santiagotimes/in ... topic_id=1

http://www.theminingnews.org/news.cfm?newsID=2000

http://www.ame.com.au/mines/Au/Pascua-Lama.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11390290/

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 am

Grrrrr,

I hate to say it but I hope whoeveris running the project suffers from dehydration and gets arsenic poisoning (used in gold mining).

People frustrate me sometimes!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri May 19, 2006 11:27 am

Disgusting. >__<

I have nothing more to say, as sheer outrage has stricken me dumb.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat May 20, 2006 5:50 am

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many for these greedy people. All this so that they could buy more for their brat kids at Christmas....brat kid: George W.
Something has got to give. Greed seems to be going too far.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun May 28, 2006 12:29 pm

You know, in the same theoretical way we have "bleesings boards" sometimes I think there is a need for "cursing boards" as well. :evil:

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 am

Willow wrote:Grrrrr,

I hate to say it but I hope whoeveris running the project suffers from dehydration and gets arsenic poisoning (used in gold mining).

People frustrate me sometimes!
I guess they won't care about the dehydration once they get poisoned by arsenic (the most dangerous poison to carbon based life forms... the ingestion of a tiny amount causes death)...

Oh, something will give eventually... with the heating up of the earth... the amount of carbon dioxide in the air over the entire planet increases at a more rapid rate each year, etc. Every time I'm out walking I hate the fact that there are so many vehicles, even in a town as small as this...

Each home, even if there are only 3 people living there have at least 2 cars. We've dropped down to one a while back and I don't see a reason to get a second vehicle.

The pollution now is just too much, I think. I'm glad to live in a cleaner state, like KY... even though we have acid rain here as well... (average PH=6.5)... I think we're still the only state without a nuclear reactor, but there's one right across the border to Tennessee.

Next door, I believe there are 4 people... maybe only 3... but there are 3 cars that are driven... If only people realized how many trees they would have to plant and grow and protect in order to neutralize the amount of damage they're doing with their car... We wouldn't have highways any more, there would be no room for them.

People around the world cut down more and more trees each year, kill more and more plants and shrug it off when they hear that carbon dioxide levels rised .005% over last year and that a greater amount is expected next year, etc.

I'll be glad when the polar ice caps melt more, that way we can drown some of the people that take the earth so for granted......

It's true that most people now are a plague on the earth. Just think... all the land that used to be desert on this planet... a thousand years ago (less for some of it) all that land was incredibly fertile farm land, some of it (across parts of texas, oklahoma, etc) used to be wetlands... And now... it's practically junk land... nothing there but oil under the surface... and what happens when you drain all of that out? Is the ground we stand on going to cave in eventually?

We use so much oil to run our world, but we don't know what the purpose oil has in an ecosystem. What nutrients could it possibly be delivering deep underground that could server a purpose of life? Not only that, but over millions of years a considerable portion of that oil would have become diamonds, which are much more useful... perhaps scientists could have researched this if they were given the money and the means to do it instead of giving all the money to those people who would pull it out of the ground so it could be burned in something as inefficient and useless as an automobile!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon May 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Amen and Amen again.

People can't believe I am 24 and that I don't own a car.
When I tell eople I eat less meat because it is better for the environment I get strange looks.

My greatest frustrationisin finding a way to get people to care, the problem is all over the plae, mass consumption, buying tacky things no one needs, and driving instead of walking.

The wake up call will come (maybe it already has) but will people listen. *sigh*
I hope so, sometimes I feel like the earth is crying.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon May 29, 2006 1:24 pm

Yup, another reason why we refuse to have more than one vehicle at a time. Yes, it is inconvenient to have to depend on only one vehicle, but it's the right way to be. The house two down from us has 4 people in it and 6 cars. Most of the others have at least 2, many, 3. It's just stupid.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue May 30, 2006 6:09 am

Wow,
on the one hand I feel bad juding people, but on the other hand it does floor me.

I guess it is a convenience thing.

There is a lot of Urban sprawl occuring in Ontario, I have written to my Member of parliment a few times concerning my mother's city. They are buildding a completely unsustainable car dependent city. The government refuses to put money into the bus system because no one takes it. the reason no one takes it because it is old, expensive and inconvenient, it takes an hour to get somewhere I could drive to in five minutes. Unfortunately this is the pattern in Ontario (possibly other places). I guess my moral is write your leaders, it is a pain and it doesn't feel like you are getting anywhere, but I think awareness is the first step.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 30, 2006 8:41 am

I thought I was the only one who refused to get a car because of the environmental damage!!!!

:evil: Is it wrong to be waiting hopefully for the human pandemic???
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am

Well I have my motorbikes, but I gave up my car licence some years back.

In Berlin we are lucky. The public transport is EXCELLENT. No one needs a car in Berlin.

Of course does not stop the city being overfull with cars.

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Tue May 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Ragnar wrote:Well I have my motorbikes, but I gave up my car licence some years back.

In Berlin we are lucky. The public transport is EXCELLENT. No one needs a car in Berlin.

Of course does not stop the city being overfull with cars.
Sounds like New York... hardly anyone you talk to even bothers to get a driver's license, but for some reason the streets are packed with cars...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 30, 2006 2:45 pm

I find peoples atitude to cars amazing. They treat it as if it is a right, liker breathing, or something.

Because of the way Berlin developed 1961 till 1990, virtually every one who works in Berlin, lives ion the city as well. So there really is NO excuse here.

I also hate thier laxidasical attitude to traffic law as well. "Oh, sorry officer, was I really 60 KMPH over the limit. Oh well, ha ha, it's only €50".

I would LOVE to be a cop again on the day they bring my master plan in;

"Sorry Madame/Sir, you are SO bloody wrong. You are, in fact, nicked. Three months in prison, loose your driving permit, Oh and by the way, you will be issued overalls and a hammer tomorow, whilst we film you scrapping your car, AND it's got to be REALLY small pieces now.

Why, heres the prison transport. So soon as well. OH, before you go, would you mind pouring this break fluid over the body work paint? Just so me and the mate can get a photo, mind. So kind, Hmm, could you stab the tyres a touch as well?

Yes, THATS it, hold it there....SMILE! Thank you. Oh, MY, that paint work is REALLY doing a wonder for me old eyes, so it is. Just like me dear Mum's porridge. Have a nice day now, BYEEEE!"

Of course, to get FULL effect for camera, you would not tell the public this was going to be the new law, until 08:00 on a normal workday, Thursday. Got to have that "surprised look", to savour. :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: