Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:22 am

:blob: :blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8: :cheers: that's so great that the Greeks have their gods back! :cheers:

must make a mental note to go to Greece and participate! i now have worshipmates! unless any of you also have the Greeks as your patron pantheon...?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:53 am

:oops: I'm so late to this discussion, but then again, I'm not a huge news and politics kinda person lol.

But I must say - :partyman: :supz: :blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob8: :smt023

Brilliant news!! And I hope it starts spreading!! It would be great to see the worship of such deities as these, and many others, become the norm everywhere!!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 am

It seems an historical turn around that it is the orthodox and catholic countrys that are freeing up on this. I have heard of groups in Italy that are similar.

As of last hearing Ireland is pretty free and easy about Paganism, as are the Highlands of Scotland (heavily catholic).

I wonder if it is because of all the saints they have, that there is some kind of sub-conscious sympathy with "idol worshippers"?

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:10 am

this is coming from the film-maker in me: but what if they only say you can worship so they can find out who you are and all of your worshipmates, and then lock you in the temple and burn it down like in "the Patriot"?

i'm PARANOID about these things! :roll:
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:35 am

Not only in film.

This exact thing happened with the Chinese red guard in the 70's. They decided to "offer the flower of peace" (hence "The thousand flower campaign"), to all the "class enemys". IF they confessed and "made good" their mistakes, they would be readmited to teaching posts, public service, etc, etc. Even released from prison with a clean sheet.

I think it lasted six months, untill the red guard, which were mostly uppity teenagers, used all the evidence, confessions, lists of collaborators etc, to come back bigger and better.

They arrested every one again. Killed thousands. But this time even more, because, believing them, the "confessors" were encouraged to tell who else was "anti revolution", so "they could be encouraged to free themselves of anti revolutionary thought" as well.
Last edited by Ragnar on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:23 am

Yes in Ireland it's really not uncommon to give some form of credit to ancient deities. Perhaps this is because this is the region who still laid out milk for the faeries and danced around the May Tree, adapting their old customs to the new ones that were forced upon them. In a land where the Tuatha De Danann ruled, I find it hard to believe that all deities and olden ways would be demolished, and this is always the "case study" in my mind for Xians having such a hard time converting that they just took all their deities and turned them into saints, as Ragnar mentioned. Maybe I'm just a romantic who has her head in her Irish Gaelic language book dreaming of green two-foot hills that are called mountains ;)

As for paranoia... In this end of the world we get so comfortable with our politically correct speaches, horror of the Holocaust, and all the anguish in the world. We take the role of caretaker, poor little countries without food, and with all this overview, we MUST be safe from persecution. Right? It's our soap and we gotta be careful not to be lead to the gas chamber. Sorry for that grisly analogy. I feel safe where I am, but I didn't, and I am still careful what I let people and clients know. I watched my favourite place, a metaphysical book store full of friends and healing, rise up and then crash down because of our redneck city. At least where I am Native healing practices and customs are revered and at worst tolerated, so I am relatively safe, but - maybe I am just paranoid - I feel very unsafe at times.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:13 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: At least where I am Native healing practices and customs are revered and at worst tolerated, so I am relatively safe, but - maybe I am just paranoid - I feel very unsafe at times.
This does seem to be a North American thing. What I always find annoying, in the U.S, is that with all their constitutional rights, etc, they seem to see more danger in us, than in a shower of idiots that, Blues Brother's like, run around dressed like the early days of Hitlers Germany, OR in their "Ma's old bed sheets".

That is something I allways take heart from; If they are SO scared of us. Then we must have real power.
I watched my favourite place, a metaphysical book store full of friends and healing, rise up and then crash down because of our redneck city.
I am interested in hearing the story behind this, if you feel like sharing it?

I am away this week end; From 09:00 tomorow, so if it all seems to have gone quiet here. You'll know where I am now. (Re-enactment of Napoleon's defeat at Möckern).

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:04 am

yeah. me, too. do you mean PHYSICALLY knocked down?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:35 am

Not physically knocked down. Sorry, not too dramatic.

These people were great. This is where I trained. These people were my friends. In a year and a half, I watched the owners get into a big fight, split up, struggle to break even on profits, yet still give everyone business (she put my cards and posters up and my friend's art for sale). There was one month where she wasn't struggling and was actually making good profits, but then March absolutely killed her. She's moving the store to the island.

My relationship kind of ended because of this store. I wasn't getting any support from my boyfriend of the time, so I went to this place instead, where I had friends, where I could talk about my life. His mother told him it was a cult. Everyone who was not metaphysically inclined spread rumours that it was a cult. Nasty things were said about these people that I love. Waitresses from the restaurant beside it were scared to serve them because "They might READ my ORRAH." I would always get glares from the people going by in their cars if I was sitting outside chatting away, or waiting for the class to begin, or enjoying the breeze. If they had bothered to go inside, they would know that it wasn't full of pentagrams and blood, but of crystals and a beautiful pet raven named Axel, books, and a beautiful healing room. Nooooo. Because it's metaphysical it's EVIL.

So the rumours spread, and there goes business. Really makes me worried about the future of my business, but hey, I'll do fine. I live between three Reservations so a) Natives who are raised with this are okay with it and b) those who are not don't give too much thought because they are used to "kooky stuff," even though I try to explain Reiki as scientifically as possible and use terminology they are comfortable with.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: Waitresses from the restaurant beside it were scared to serve them because "They might READ my ORRAH."
Hmmm. the "Master mind type".

Never quite thought of that sort a being particularly challenged in the orrahl department. :roll:

Thanks for sharing the tale of the shop. I LOVE the idea of the Raven. :-D

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Aye the Raven is awesome. He and his sister survived after their nest came down with the tree it was in, and this woman took care of them. He's a beautiful, loving creature.

#-o Sorry, not Raven! CROW! #-o

He laughed exactly like this woman's son, which was very cute. He brought a lot of neat energy to the store :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:01 am

that's pretty awesome. i wish i had a store near me like that!

that's all salem's forte. i live just a town over so my city doesn't even bother with it. but salem's pretty great, too. once you weed through the attractions for the tourists, of course.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Grrrrrrr.

I went there today, to be my last time before they moved, to say goodbye to everyone, and... it's already empty. They were supposed to call me. LOL. For the goodbye party, at least!!! :lol: Hmmm. I suddenly feel like the nerd left out of all the cool parties :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:17 am

yes, but did they HAVE a goodbye party?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:18 pm

They were supposed to, but that's okay ^_^

I don't think anything could ruin this week for me. I'm in lala land. Maybe I'll see them in their new location one time if I'm ever in the area, but other than that, good luck to them. I'm sure they have heavier things on their minds (moving, bills, etc)
Crazy Healer Lady