Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:51 pm

I wish that they had a store like that where I live, or at leaste somewhere that I could buy essential oils and incence that doesn't smell like *&^@, the closest place that even sells those is called Green Earth and is like 45 minutes by car ride. And I can't dive by myself! Oh well one is moving in to a mall that is alittle closer, that'll be nice. And I've always got the lady at work to look out for classes on Reiki and the like.
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:14 pm

hate to disagree with you brother but about stonehenge i must. I was there in April on vacation with my family. First the nearest motorway is the M5 a long way from salisbury plain The road that runs alongside the monument, the A134 is a major trunk road but not that busy. Yes the stones have to be roped off because of vandalism, someone even spray painted "Elvis" on one of them, but they are in remarkably good condition for their age. There is a tunnel under the road that takes you to a parking area and i do prefer that to the cars being driven into the circle as was once the case. There is every effort to maintain the site and the nominal fees charged for parking do aid the national trust, a non-profit charity, in maintaining the site for us to enjoy.
As for them pre-dating the Celts and Druids it depends on definitions of both those terms. and i'm sure we could have quite a debate on that. Obviously the stones were erected by the inhabitants. why would you think that the first tribes were not Celtic? The blue sarsel stones were quarried in the Preseli mountains of South West Wales and I could spend hours telling you of that "Welsh triangle" and the stories and folklore of even recent times. So there is a continous thread to today.
Please Ragnar, I cannot believe you would discount a spiritual path because its adherents wear rubber boots in wet weather.
I enjoy your posts and consider you a well informed and interesting fellow traveler on the pagan path. Please accept this post as a "Not-agreeing" rather than a disagreement.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:51 pm

The stones at stone henge have been dated from before the first Keltic finds in U.K.

Asfar as the evidence I could find for my thesis at Efinburgh school of Scottish studies, the modern "Bards, ovates and Druids can only be trace back to around the 1930s.

And why would ANY aupossed nature religion wear wellington boots when "in nature"?

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:54 am

'Cuz you'll get tetanus walking around barefoot on all the syringes, broken glass, &such {snicker} Been there, I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with the need to restrict access to many of these places, if you open them to anyone, you have to open them to everyone. Then they get ruined. I mean honestly, how could you resist takng a bitty piece of souvenier from such a magnificent place? Vandalism is always going to happen.

Has anyone else seen the giant upside down tree surrounded by stones? I think its scandanavian, I saw it in a book about Stonehenge that included a chapter on other similarly dated places. I truly wish I could remember the name of it, it was 500 times more amazing than any 'ole group of stones.
"Obedezco pero no complo"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:11 am

Grumpy wrote: I mean honestly, how could you resist takng a bitty piece of souvenier from such a magnificent place? ".
I have. CONSTANTLY.
Grumpy wrote:Has anyone else seen the giant upside down tree surrounded by stones? I think its scandanavian, I saw it in a book about Stonehenge that included a chapter on other similarly dated places. I truly wish I could remember the name of it, it was 500 times more amazing than any 'ole group of stones.
No, I have not seen the tree. But if you could remember more so I could look for links, I would be vaery gratefull. ;)

Have you, or any one, ever seen or heard of "Woodhenge"? That is a place linked to Stonehenge, at the other end of the avenue, if I remember correctly.

Of course, bieng of wood, it is gone. BUT the post holes proove that it was the "solar opposite" to Stone henge.

I wonder if you go to North and South, or whatever, you get Fire henge, earth henge, air henge: Also, A five pointed star?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:11 pm

Speaking of tourists taking souvenirs, that actually happenned at easter Island, people would steal away from a group then chip off a piece of stone from one of the statues there.

The only problem with restriciting access, is who decides who is in and who is out?

Should we leave it up to the scientists? :doubt: probably not a good idea.

If we leave it up to a religious group what is to stop some pagans from restricting others. Unfortunately pagans can be petty (Express massive sarcastic shock here)

I wish I had an answer, perhaps snipers would do the trick :smt068

"Attention, please step away from the Lay Line..."
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:40 pm

Seahenge, it's called. In Norfolk actually, sorry. The pictures I was able to find online don't do it justice though, the central tree is enormous! It's bronze age.
"Obedezco pero no complo"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:43 am

Aha! So we have Stone, Wood, water. May be my theory could work! :roll:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:52 pm

I have heard of Woodhenge. Something about Woodhenge being for the living, and Stonehenge for the dead? The spirits would travel along the ley line connecting them. Apparently Stonehenge was at least a few centuries in the making, and was considered a work in progress rather than a set "thing" to those that built it.

But... there are so many theories on what they could mean.

That would be amazing if there was evidence for a Firehenge, etc.

Maybe one day I'll get around to solving all the mysteries of the world ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:31 am

CHL, when you do that give me a call, I want to go figure out Atlantis with you.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:06 am

*sniff, sniff*

Hey? :oops:

Can you smel that? :-?

It's the wind of change! :-D

\:D/ YAY! \:D/

Also, about Stone Henge... I remember recently reading an article about how peeps were allowed to celebrate a soltice (summer, I think) but it was disappointing becasue 95% of them were partying drunks and druggies. :-(

#-o AWE! Here it is:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20060 ... solstice_1
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"