Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Post by Librarian » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:38 am

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?cati ... 2006-03-25

Athens. Greek court allowed association of worshipers of ancient Greek deities to be set up, Radio Svoboda informs.

At the moment Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Athens, Hermes, etc. are being worshiped by 100,000 Greeks.

Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at archaeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.

Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:07 pm

=D> Fantastic
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:19 pm

About time.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:02 pm

Librarian wrote:.....Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities......
Which is rather strange, seeing that their own god is also an ancient deity: nothing more and nothing less: an ancient deity!

Very funny really (even though they would not see it that way.....).

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19 am

It's more "BRILLIANT!" than you think.

As non of you are from Europe, you may not be aware that a law such as this in one E.U country, can be quoted as case law in another!!!!! :good: :wav: :drink:

So, as Asatru is an official religion in Iceland, now Greece...Then you may start seeing demands from Norse and Keltic groups. Quoting this Greek, and the Icelandic, decisions as precedence. =D> :-D

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:14 am

Ragnar wrote:It's more "BRILLIANT!" than you think.

As non of you are from Europe, you may not be aware that a law such as this in one E.U country, can be quoted as case law in another!!!!! :good: :wav: :drink:

So, as Asatru is an official religion in Iceland, now Greece...Then you may start seeing demands from Norse and Keltic groups. Quoting this Greek, and the Icelandic, decisions as precedence. =D> :-D
That's great news! Hopefully we'll see this sort of thing in the news more and more often.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:35 am

That's FANTASTIC news!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :GHug: :supz: :partyman: :bounce: :compress: :colors: :blob7: :blob8: :blob: :blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :laughing6: :wav: :smt003 :smt044 :smt045 :smt038 :smt041
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:14 am

:lol: :lol: Glad to see you found the Emoticons to your liking. :lol: :lol:

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:29 pm

:lol: I rarely use them that much....good excuse....:p
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Interesting....
Just out of curiosity, is anyone allowed to worship at Stonehenge?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:13 pm

Only on important days mainly solstices are people allowed onto stonehenge.
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Willow wrote:Interesting....
Just out of curiosity, is anyone allowed to worship at Stonehenge?
Well there was a time when it was closed totaly, after they got fed up of arresting U.S Americans, trying to chip of chunks of the stones as "souvineers". (Some times the Wiltshire police were dealing with 150 > 200 per day. ALL U.S American).

But even then at summer solctice, the Order of Druids, bards and initiates, were allowed in.

We, ie the Norse and Keltic groups, ran a campaign to ban the Druids from doing this. As they are falsely representing British, and their own history. The stones were abandoned LONG before druids were even thought of. Particularly those travestys that call themselves "druids" today.

(PLEASE, a nature religion, that wear wellington boots, and water proofs, for their ceremony, if it's raining??????)

In fact, until Victorian times, the place was totaly unknown to any but locals. The circle was viewed in amazement by the first University archeologists that "discovered" it. They had NEVER seen or heard of any thing like it.

It was still virtualy unknown to the public, until the 1950's/60's, when the "tourist boom" started in U.K.

Now, however, for about four to eight weeks during the summer, the site is open to every one.

But you would be dissapointed. On one side (about 50 yards from the circle) is the bussiest Motorway in U.K, on the other side, same distance, is the national trust (authority that run the site) car park. On another side is a big concrete box, which are the visitors center and toilets. There is also the main railway in and out of London on the remaining side. If I remember rightly, it is the railway that has the tunnel under it, to get in and out. It is also what used to be the "avenue" to the circle. I.e, the processional way, with stones on each side, about half as big as the circle it's self, forming a straight path to the entrance of the circle.

But important archeological relics mean NOTHING when they need the money from the car park fees. So the Avenue was torn down to make way.

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:53 am

So basically currently we have no idea what it was really for. And people just claim to have rights over it with no evidence? Arg, well so much for seeing stonehenge now, ill just go around the castles if i ever there
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:54 am

That's kind of sad, i had hoped to go someday, however I am sure there are other sacred sites. I didn't know it was abandoned before the druids though, that makes it even more interesting if it is pre-historic.

I am doing my Summer thesis on ritual and tourism and who "Owns" a ritual or a sacred site, and whether or not governmental institutions do just ice (for lack of a more academic term) to the sacredness of a holy site as they re often referred to as "cultural exhibits."

Stonehenge would make a very interesting case.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:33 am

Kelreth wrote:So basically currently we have no idea what it was really for. And people just claim to have rights over it with no evidence?
I fact they claim it IN SPITE of the evidence. See below. (Last paragraph).
Willow wrote:
however I am sure there are other sacred sites. I didn't know it was abandoned before the druids though, that makes it even more interesting if it is pre-historic.
There are other sacred sites. But none of them like stonehenge in architecture. The Orkneys are full of these stone circles, Scara Brae, being the most famous.

There is also "Wood henge" not far from "Stonehenge", "Uffington white horse" also in Wiltshire. One just out side Keswick in Cumbria, which is rather nice, but right now the name has entirely deserted me.

One thing they have in common, they pre date the Kelts by between 1000 and 3000 years. Therefore can not POSSIBLY be "druid".