Judge Rules that parents can't teach their child Wicca.

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Judge Rules that parents can't teach their child Wicca.

Post by davisherm » Thu May 26, 2005 8:35 am

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /505260481
An Indianapolis father is appealing a Marion County judge's unusual order that prohibits him and his ex-wife from exposing their child to "non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals."

The parents practice Wicca, a contemporary pagan religion that emphasizes a balance in nature and reverence for the earth.

I really hope that this gets overturned.

I can't believe that something like this could happen in today's enlightened age, but sadly it has.

What are your thoughts?
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu May 26, 2005 10:14 am

That's gotta be the most rediculous thing I've ever heard! The parents weren't even calling religion into the divorce but the judge took it upon himself to say that they couldn't teach it to his son??? That's just insane! I too hope it gets overturned and that something is done about this judge who has taken it upon himself to dictate what people can and cannot teach their children. :evil:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu May 26, 2005 1:08 pm

That's insane! What gives some lily livered judge the right to say what a parent can't teach their children when it's dealing with respecting others and the earth? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I pity the idiot who tries to take that kind of stand against me when I have kids!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Thu May 26, 2005 7:05 pm

That is so far beyond wrong. I'm actually having trouble believing that it at all legal. Why can't a child of a different religion attend a catholic school?

*shakes head* I think my favourite part was where they stated that the nude wiccan practices would corrupt the boy. I know I walk around my SHARE HOUSE nude every night, how about everyone else?
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu May 26, 2005 7:11 pm

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Fri May 27, 2005 2:40 pm

....... oh my god. That is rediculous. This world is full of crazies, and unfortunately for that man, one of them is a judge. :-?

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Sat May 28, 2005 4:48 am

the saddest part is that it is probobly that attitude twords things that got him the position in the first place

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun May 29, 2005 10:04 am

God & Consequences Blogsite says:
http://godandcon.blogspot.com/2005/05/j ... -memo.html
Judge Cale J. Bradford, in Indiana, has decreed that a divorced couple can't teach their son about their religion- Wicca- because the boy goes to a Catholic school. The judge, in his infinite wisdom, wrote a vague decree prohibiting Thomas E. Jones Jr. and his ex-wife Tammie U. Bristol from exposing their son to "non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals." The judge didn't define a "mainstream" religion.
I guess we can expect to see a lot more of this on the State level now the Neo-cons are filling out the judge positions with their adherents. I'm not surprised that Wiccans are a scapegoat fer "Callous Cale," of the revered Bradford (of puritan Massachusetts) clan. :lol:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:00 am

Dragonflydrummer,
I guess this is what I was thinking of in the last post I put in regarding christainity becoming the official E.U. religion. Darn I can not remember the topic heading now... OH AYE !
"Galloway grills U.S. Senate". If any one wants to know more.
I know in U.K Paganism has been used quite often in divorce cases, including my Sisters, and later own. My ex was catholic, so she applied for anulment, on the grounds I could not take the oath seriously. (..ME? as if!) So I was called up in front of the local branch of the "Vatican Tribunal", which is the direct modern face of the court of inquisition! HEY!!! I'm quite proud of that! I did not go, I seent a ...? One of those things carried by postmen before the internet came along, and told them where they could shove thier pathetic little enquiry. BUT the result of the enquiry was able to be used in a civil court.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

...Galloway is pretty cool though

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:17 pm

That's kind of scarey...

Around here I think it's sort of funny. The fundamentalist xtians
pushed for the legal right to "Home School" their kids, so they wouldn't
have to learn about that evil "evolution-theory". Now the Satanists
have picked up on home-schooling and are raising little satanists at home
so they won't be polluted by Jesus. It's a very silly world, Ragnar...

:cyclopsani: :albino: :cyclopsani:

d.d.
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Rockhopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:40 pm

And here I thought I could trust in the courts to make unbiased decisions. Apparently, the land of the free only pertains to those of the "main-stream religions".

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:15 pm

aye,
"One man one vote", and we all know which one man has the one vote don't we?
They did do something similar to "homeschooling" rule in U.K. The prents could apply for a seperate room to teach religion to thier kids during while the rest were learning the priests anatomy, or something. This workrd great for the Joey witnesses, Hidus and muslims, and in fact the head teacher was very helpful in trying to arrange this for my Sister and her kids, after a coupüle of days he told them "O.K it's arranged. Out of curiosity, what religion is it?"
When my Sister told him he whent purple in the face and, barely controling his anger said "I'm christain, we do not want any of that Pagan superstiscious nonsence in this school, you will not be allowed the class room" and stormed off. In a letter my to the local authorities, my Sister pointed out that Hindus were also Pagan, but to no availe. The authorities just replied that it was up to the head teacher, and they could not get involved. When our laweyer pointed out that they had become involved readily enough for a Buddhist family, they merely replied "we do not discuss individual cases".
We could have taken it to court, but at 5,000 Pound, just for a Barrister to decide if you have enough evidence to be worth taking to court, we just could not afford it.
PLUS try and find a barrister, or hearing judge who is not christian or Jewish! To say nothing of 12 citizens.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:15 am

I always say that it's a shame people don't think past labels and misconceptions. I've been trying for about 6 months to clear up my own FAMILY'S misconceptions about paganism, only to have my Dad, who was most accepting, get his shorts in a twist over the 4th repeat of our wedding plans.

This Witch and her Druid aren't going to hide who they are for social conformity! I never did it before, I won't do it now.

Sigh, I just wish more people would practice what they preach!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:08 am

It does give us something to talk about.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:19 am

Ragnar wrote:It does give us something to talk about.
That is the only good thing about it though.... and it is severely outweighed by all the bad :-?