Popin' along...

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Popin' along...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:12 pm

:roll: Alrighty then -- so the Catholics got a new Pontiff and from the sounds of his past career, he's an Absolutist and served as an enforcer to keep "heresies" like using birth-control, empowering women, or allowing normal acceptance of gays & lesbians from burgeoning. My question here is: "What do you all think this guy will mean (if anything) for the lives of Pagans in-general, and /or Witches in-particular, in the coming months and years...?

:occasion9: :notworthy: :sign3: :naka: :notworthy: :occasion9:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Vetle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vetle » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:53 pm

I think this is going to spell trouble for us, honestly. One of the major problems with mainstream religions is their unwillingness to adapt to modern times. There's no reason why the message of the religion should change but the medium should change with the times. (hope that makes sense)

In addition, I heard a rumour that he's a former nazi. Don't know if it's true it can't be good if he is.
"I just hope angels in the forest
Saw me praying in my own soul
Death is unfair - That's real pain
Remoun you...Am I almost dead?
I miss my hope; My will to live
My last farewell forever, all alone"

-Anita Auglend

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:56 pm

I"m literally scared...what with Bush's push for religion...and now this...yikes...I just hope we don't hit another Dark Age!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:05 pm

Did anyone notice that the guy even LOOKS really scary? :oops:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

His Holiness -- Mr. Big Scarey Dude...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:01 pm

I have to admit I heard a faint echo of Jerry Falwell's blaming the 9/11 attacks on us in 2001, when I heard this guy was chosen. Prob'ly just my imagination. I'm not going to fear what isn't happening. Of course, disaffected Catholics make pretty good pagans too -- after a while (heh heh heh). I guess the Chinese curse of being born in "interesting times" continues...

:reindeer:

Well no one ever told me that being a pagan was going to be easy...

(by the way -- I think he was a german soldier in WWII and later deserted. In spite of the Catholics collaborating at times with the fascists during the war, I don't think they'd have a card-carrying ex-Nazi be Pontiff. But I've been wrong about these kinds of things before...)
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I think he was in the Hitler-Youth.

As such that means nothing, because EVERYBODY was in the hitler youth in those days. One might as well saying someone was suspect because he had been in the boy-scouts or the girl-guides.

The previous pope (the one who just died) was seen to be building bridges between his church and other abrahamic religions. But he was very much against any of the other religions that do not claim to be the children of abraham. So this new guy probably cannot be much worse from a pagan perspective.

Just as an aside, in my view the catholic church is the most pagan of all the christian churches (if I can use this term), what with their veneration of mother mary, and all their saints etc., a veritable pantheon.....

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:33 pm

Their choice does not make sense to me for one reason....the guy is almost 80 years old.
I too did hear that he had Natzi connections back in the day which, disturbs me. John Paul II I could respect because he was real...stuck to his convictions but, real. His zest for life radiated from him. When I looked at him I could tell you that he truely loved.

This new guy seems dark and hateful. It may also have been a better choice for the church (to strengthen future adaptability) to choose someone from latin or south america instead.
Indeed, he does look evil to me. In fact this was my first impression of viewing him on tv.....Anton LaVey strikes me as less evil (if possible).

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:51 pm

morgana wrote:Did anyone notice that the guy even LOOKS really scary? :oops:
Definately - when I saw him the first thought that came to my mind was "evil" - and he's the POPE!

Stormy
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Vetle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vetle » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Lotus wrote:It may also have been a better choice for the church (to strengthen future adaptability) to choose someone from latin or south america instead.
Haha, that would be interesting. I don't think it would ever happen but it would definitely give the Church a better idea of the plight of humanity, since all the Latin American countries are full of poverty and political instability. One can dream, though...
Saw me praying in my own soul
Death is unfair - That's real pain
Remoun you...Am I almost dead?
I miss my hope; My will to live
My last farewell forever, all alone"

-Anita Auglend

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

too poped to pop...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:48 pm

[-o< Huh. A Pope who was a Nazi Youth. Novel concept. Damned scarey if you ask me. So um -- he's gonna prob'ly say that all the folks who aren't children of Abraham are tossers, eh?

Yikes...

I'm thinking -- well, at least he's old. Prob'ly kick the bucket after he does whatever his selection is designed to have him do. The last one seemed like he was selected to help combat the Soviet Union's dominion over Poland, and later he seemed somewhat instrumental in the Soviets' fall. Then he sort of outlived his usefulness. This one -- what? Defeat humanism, paganism, and all liberal tendencies before he croaks? Not...
:laughing8: :laughing5: :idea1: :laughing9: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing8: :idea1: :help:

(and yes -- he does look scarier than LaVey...)

RavenEyes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RavenEyes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:44 am

He is pretty scary looking, isn't he :smt103

I heard somethin on the news the other day - people are thinkin he's been chosen as pope with a view to the fact that he'll continue John Paul II's work, but won't be there too long (the guy's 78!). so the church won't be seen to be throwing away all the work that John Paul did, but can maybe appoint a more liberal pope in ten years or so....

if that makes sense
Live Life to the full, Be true to yourself

Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Silver Spider » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:52 pm

Guess what I saw today on MSN. The Pope's email address [email protected] (English language address) Yep, that's right. Now you can make comments or ask questions directly to him. At last, we'll get some answers about his past. Yeah, right! :lol:

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:24 pm

My first thought upon looking at the guys face was. "Well he's pope, but he looks like a demon" I don't like him, and I don't have a good feeling about him. We'll see what happens, but I have to say I'm a little nervous.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:03 pm

I'm not sure if I want to know....

Vetle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vetle » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:08 pm

lunaria wrote:Image
I see you...