Devout christian jailed for athiest axe killing

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Devout christian jailed for athiest axe killing

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:42 pm

Greetings,

I was not sure where else to post this, but I had to laugh when I read it, so I imagined "humor" is the correct board.

This comes from today's "The Australian" newspaper:

Man jailed for athiest axe killing

23dec04

A DEVOUT Christian who killed a man and injured his wife in a frenzied axe attack after they told him they were atheists has been jailed for 18 years.

Drifter Ashley John Appoo, 40, pleaded guilty in the Queensland state Supreme Court to manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm.
The court heard Appoo was hitchhiking in November 2001 when John Leslie McDonald and his wife Alois picked him up and took him home for lunch.
He ended up staying two days at the couple's home in rural Queensland before Alois told him she and her husband were atheists.
Appoo began punching the woman than turned on her husband when he tried to intervene.
The court was told Appoo then went outside, seized an axe and began attacking the couple, hitting John McDonald in the head and leg. McDonald died from his injuries and his wife sustained fractures to her jaw, ribs and ankle and an axe wound to her leg.
Defence lawyers said Appoo had suffered from violent rages and a personality disorder since 1995 when he was hit on the head with a didgeridoo.

So there you have it. It's the didgeridoo that made him do it....

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:59 am

I fail to see the humor, nor do i feel the need to laugh at the death of anyone.
/|\

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:36 am

Personally, I find it more ironic than humorus.

After all, how many times do you hear about a "cult" killing or "satanic" murder that casts a bad light on us.

But I agree, someone's death is not a funny thing.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:07 am

katsu wrote:I fail to see the humor, nor do i feel the need to laugh at the death of anyone.
I agree, so now it's in "News".

Linny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linny » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:01 pm

So someone who is supposed to be a "devout Christian" went nuts and killed an atheist. I'm sorry for the victim's wife who now has to live without her husband. I thought Christians were supposed to love everybody.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:47 pm

I thought that Rain put it in humor because it was funny that it was christian, who is supposed to be loving, killed and atheist. While the death part isn't so funny, it is the irony of the situation that Rain found funny. Not to mention the fact that this man claims that he is purely psycho because someone hit him over the head with a didgeridoo. While hitting someone over the head can cause some serious damage, the item that he was hit with makes it seem really odd, and somewhat funny.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobak » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:01 pm

also, those "evil" atheists extended a hand of friendship to this guy and let him stay in their house for two days, whereas the "good" christian...y'know. goes berzerk.

while death isn't funny, and i do feel for the wife, the story up until the murder is amusing, at least to me. :oops:

that bit about the didgeridoo reminds me of that one guy from the early 20th century that got a railroad spike through his head and lived, but his personality and temperament were completely altered. 's a text book psychology example of....something or other.

Kiril
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kiril » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:29 pm

No matter what someone's persuasion is, religion can never save you from mental derangement. So the fact he is christian is ironic, but still useless in the whole picture.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

but...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:44 pm

I work with a guy like that. So -- it was a blow with
a didgeridoo that made him so blindly righteous. I somehow thought
it was endemic to being fundamentalist... =D>
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:17 am

sorry i'm so late, but i must agree with Rain. even though death isn't funny, it's not the overall idea of the post. he wasn't saying "hey look, someone died," he was saying "hey look, and they think WE'RE crazy!"

so, in short, i dig it.
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 am

stupid fundies......

irony is the spice of life
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:01 pm

I'm completely lost on the legality of this case, I'm trying to work out what got him to manslaughter and why it wasn't taken down as automatism.... but I'm know contradicting my own legally arguments and getting a headaches lmao

(*sorry for the legally thing but I'm taking this in to my tutor to find out :D)
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:21 pm

Weird! Very,very very wierd.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:48 am

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:I'm completely lost on the legality of this case, I'm trying to work out what got him to manslaughter and why it wasn't taken down as automatism....
Because murder requires pre planning. Which due to the disturbed state of the mind, and the timing was not a probable conviction.

They may have charged him with murder, with a lesser charge of manslaughter. Two bites of the cherry in effect.

The defence would be "that the balance of the mind was disturbed", therefore no murder conviction, so the prosecution fall back on the second charge of manslaughter. (Involuntary homicide in the States). Virtualy a sure conviction, as the defence to murder had to be an addmission of the later.

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 pm

the [email protected]#$%^ is still going to get out of jail at some point. Meanwhile one person is the dead, the other seriously injured. Yes the US judiary system works perfectly......
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...