Deer Antlers from Dad.

Keep it clean, the kids are invited to sit around the campfire.
MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Deer Antlers from Dad.

Post by MettaPax » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 am

When I was little my father’s best buddy (whom I will refer to as Frogman) used to work for a big corporation that did machining. Within the management of this corporation there were sportsman clubs: hunting, fishing, etc.

On a hunting trip a bunch of them shot a lot of deer. They brought them back to the warehouse at work, strung them up, divided the meat into equal parts for each of them, along with the skins, hooves and antlers. The remains were buried back to the Earth.

Now… I am not one for hunting at all. I am an animal lover and supporter of several animal rights groups. AND I don’t like the idea of animal parts being used for decoration, generally speaking. However, the Deer Antlers were given to me by my father, who got them as a gift from Frogman. They were specifically gifted to me as alter material, where the antlers now rest on a sacred space dedicated to the Goddess and the God.

Knowing how the deer were utilized, not just for sport but having used every component possible, similar to ye ole Indian tribes, respectfully, and feeling that this was my father’s way of expressing his acceptance of my faith, I feel honored to have them adorn the alter in my home as a representation of My spiritual Father and my birth Father, masculine energies and all things wild.

I can’t imagine using them (or anything like them) for any other purpose.
Thanks Dad.
:-D
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:16 pm

awww that is so sweet :D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG