How Raven Stole the Sun

Keep it clean, the kids are invited to sit around the campfire.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

How Raven Stole the Sun

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:52 pm

This is the story of How Raven Stole the Sun, as I remember it from hearing it as a child and current research to fill in the gaps. It is my favourite story still.

There was once an old and greedy aristocratic chief who lived far away. He was so rich, so powerful, and so greedy that inside three separate boxes he held the sun, the moon, and the stars, keeping the rest of the world in darkness. Everyone was miserable, bumping into each other and having no means to find their way in the dark.

Raven, who was white, not black, decided he had enough, and went to the Chief's home where he watched the Chief and his beautiful young daughter. As his daughter went to the stream to fetch water, he turned himself into a cedar sprig and floated into her mug, which she drank, and she became pregnant. She gave birth immaculately to a raven-haired babe who resembled the Chief, and the Chief could not be more proud. Every gift that the child demanded, he was given, and soon he was so spoiled and rotten that he was able to throw raging fits that even made his grandfather quake.

In an effort to calm the child he was given the beautiful cedar box which held the stars. Laughing, the child opened the box, and tossed the stars into the sky through the smoke hole. Soon, he became bored again, and started to scream. He then was given the box containing the moon, and this, too, he threw, and it bounced off of the floor and into the sky through the smoke hole.

He became bored once more, and started to scream, pointing at the third box, and at first the greedy Chief did not relent. Finally, in an effort just to silence the child for a few precious moments, he thrust the gold-trimmed cedar box toward him. The child turned back into the Raven and took the blazing hot sun in his beak and fled the home, but the heat from the sun burnt his feathers and beak black, and in pain but with great joy he hung the sun up in the sky for all the world to enjoy, and cackles to this day at the old and greedy Chief.

This is how I remember it. This is a South-West Coastal version of the story, actually from the Sto:lo, I believe, but I may have mixed up a few facts. Still, this is how I remember it, and how it means most to me :) I hope you enjoyed it!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

GoldenFarie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GoldenFarie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:23 am

I've heard that story at school once,it was awesome. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>