You never know

Keep it clean, the kids are invited to sit around the campfire.
daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

You never know

Post by daibanjo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:49 pm

This is an old Russian tale that I'm sure most of you know. Davisherm's experience brought it to mind so perhaps you don't mind hearing it again.

There once was a farmer, who lived with his wife and their son, their only child. Their most prized possession was a horse that helped to till the earth and pull the wagon. The neighbours would comment that the farmer was very fortunate to have a healthy son and a strong horse. The farmer would always reply, "Well, you never know."
One day his horse ran away.
"Oh, how unfortunate." Said the neighbours.
"Well, you never know." replied the farmer.
The next day the horse returned and brought with him a wild mare. So now the farmer had two horses with the possibility of breeding.
"Oh, how fortunate." Said the neighbours.
"Well, you never know." Replied the farmer.
The next day while training the new horse to carry a rider, it threw the son and broke his leg.
"Oh, how unfortunate." Said the neighbours.
"Well, you never know." said the farmer.
The next day the farmer came around looking for able bodied young men to fight in a war. Because the son had a broken leg he was left behind.
"Oh, how fortunate." Said the neighbours.
"Well, you never know." Replied the farmer.

And so it goes. Things happen to us. In the end they are just things that happen. Are they good or bad?
Well, you never know.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 am

I've heard it before, and that's a very good moral. You never do know.

In my case, I was told by the eldest in my circle that I would not be going overseas. I just had to have faith in that and trust my gods to watch over me. I did. And he was right. I didn't have to go. I just about tore my foot off when I stepped badly on a run and the resulting damage to my ankle let to problems in my arches.

Granted, I'm still dealing with occasional pain over a year after my injury, but as my Sapphire is always saying, "Look for the silver linings." My feet may hurt a lot sometimes. But unlike over 2000 of my fellows, I came home to my loved ones.

And for that I am immensely thankful.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 am

well, you never know...

oooh, how cryptic :shudder:
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)