Pregnancy & Birth Rituals

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Pregnancy & Birth Rituals

Post by Mahala » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:29 am

I've always been interested in pregnancy and childbirth, especially in natural/unassisted birthing, home birthing, and pregnancy without all the unnecessary medical intervention. Does anyone know of any good books or other resources with info on pregnancy and birthing rituals?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Pregnancy & Birth Rituals

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:54 am

Not off hand... since I have no kids (and don't want any) I haven't even looked up stuff on the topic, aside from the occasional, "when I have kids..." reads that occur about once a year. I still talk with Crazy on Facebook and occasionally BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) though... I'll ask her to stop by. She should know!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Having A Baby... Naturally! is a great book. There are some fabulous herbal books out there, and actually most health units have information on home births. The book I mentioned in another post (Hygeia: A Woman's Herbal) has a tonne of great info. You can also locate Doulas in your area or contact a Doula organization. They are like birthing coaches and would have lots of information on rituals.

I'm planning a home birth as well :) It's statistically safer that in hospital provided you are close enough to a hospital should something go wrong. Birthing pool FTW!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 am

I would like to have a home birth, mainly because of the way I've seen some of my sister treated in the maternity wards in local hospitals. Some of the nurses were outright rude and I would rather not have to deal with being stuck, poked, prodded, drugged, and told to stay in a bed while dealing with that kind of crap. CHL, is that book by Peggy O'Mara?

Another aspect is I want to find materials for my boyfriend to read when the time comes that we finally decide to have kids of our own. I think he's going to be more anxious than me, haha.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:00 am

Having a Baby... Naturally! is by Peggy O'Mara and Hygeia is by Jeanine Parvatti :)

I've seen some NASTY nurses in maternity, although the last time wasn't bad at all. Everyone was amazing, actually. What gets me is that any damn person can come into the room and stick their fingers "you know where" without so much as a Hello! THEN, worst of all, they insist you give birth on your back with your legs in the air! What unnatural, spine-breaking, head-crushing, vagoo-ripping move is that?! I'll have none of that, thank you very much. Yes, I realize squatting like an animal doesn't allow for an all-access pass for the doctors.

Am I bitter? Nooooooo....
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Just reading the number of unneeded episiotomies, c-sections, and other such things makes me want to not have kids at all. I'll look those books up, and probably add them to my wishlist. :-D I can never have too many books on almost anything.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 am

Just want to agree that medical intervention is in most cases unnecessary and so undignified! Bring back the community midwife! *shudders at memory of labour* Just remember Mahala that your body is programmed to forget the horrible bits of birth so people have more than one child!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:32 am

After a lot of research and a lot more thinking, and with all the talk of engagement and wedding, my boyfriend eventually came across the topic of having children. Once we really got to talking about it, we decided that kids just aren't for us. (Even though we have family trying to convince us otherwise. :roll: ) I'll still be amazed and fascinated by childbirth and have the 'if I have kids' moments, but I'm looking into permanent BC so we can remain childfree.

Though, the one thing that is absolutely puzzling is elective C-sections?! WHY?! That's so damaging to your body. My mom had four of them and she's had seven kids. It's not pretty.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:00 am

I supposed for some people it's safer to plan where and when it's going to happen if there are medical issues. A couple of my friends have had caesarians elective and emergency and it takes so much longer to recover. It can make feeding more difficult too. I'm such a wimp when it comes to hospitals I'd try to avoid it unless it was really dangerous not to! I cried when they put me on a drip :-(

Mahala I think you're right not to let anyone push you into such a big decision. Enjoy time with each other in the honeymoon period with your partner for as long as you can! Double contraception ;)
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:18 pm

I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly, when I have a child (if I have a child) I'm glad I have the ability to have an elective C-section if I want to. Longer healing time aside, I'll take an hour of no pain to three days of labor.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:47 am

I can understand it for emergency purposes. It saves a lot of lives, but it's being relied upon a bit too much in this modern age. Personally, if I ever change my mind and decide that I do want kids, I'd much rather go it on my own unless there was a serious risk. I'm not afraid of pain, especially after a botched blood donation. (The nurse refused to listen when I said my left arm was better. They spent 30 min. digging in my right arm with the needle, and ended up tossing out two needles/bags and at least an ounce of blood because they couldn't get a good poke. :evil: They then decided to do my left arm anyways.)

Max- We never had a honeymoon period, actually. I didn't (and still don't) believe in it. It was either 100% honesty and reality before I put my heart on the table, or nothing at all. When we decided we didn't want kids, we decided that we didn't want them... ever. After I get my periods figured out, there's a good chance I'll be getting either permanent, or at the very least, semi-permanent BC.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Honestly, if my hubby and I ever decide we want kids, there's a good chance I'll see if our insurance will cover a planned C-section. I'll be the first to admit that prolonged pain does bad things to my psyche and that I don't have the willpower to withstand hours of cramping agony just to have to put in a marathon runner's effort in the end. I'd rather not be crying like a 5 year old for the entire length of my birth experience. I'll take the prolonged wooziness of drugs over it.

But, that's a matter of me knowing my shortcomings...knowing my limits are well beyond that.

Then again, there's also a lack of information to consider. I'm adopted, with no medical history available beyond a very basic form typed up in 1979, and it only covers my mom. I don't know if any of the women in my family have had problems with childbirth. I'd rather not find out the hard way!

Is it possible I'll change my tune if I get more complete information from a medical professional? Maybe.

Just how I feel now...though, it's doubtful that we're even going to have kids.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!