Moving

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Moving

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am

Just curious, I am moving out of my place on Saturday. While I have little rituals I do for the new place (A ritual cleaning, putting up my cross of Saint Brigid)

Do you have rituals you do for the house you are leaving?

There is also a long time superstition in my family, never bring an old broom into a new house, or all the troubles of the house will follow you.

Thoughts?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 am

Honestly, I follow the old broom to a bit...I usually use the old broom for outside cleaning if I bring it at all.

Usually, when I'm moving into a new place, I cleanse it of all the energy from the previous tenant...and in the same way, I cleanse the place I am leaving of MY energy.

My aunt used to sprinkle salt on the floors as part of the cleaning, then swept it out the door with a new broom. She also said you couldn't come in the doors at first without cleaning the energy out, too...so I don't know how reliable that is.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Ah the old broom bit I follow. I smudge the place before I pack my things away, and smudge after, opening every single door, window, drawer, closet... and before unpacking at the new place.

Closing up my healing room, crying because I was so sad to leave my last place, I spoke to the spirits that were there. I told them how I was feeling, etc etc etc. And then I said something to the effect of, "You are all more than welcome in the new one and-" and suddenly everything closed up, like SWOOSH! and every spirit was gone, like folding up a blanket, and here they are in my new healing room ^_^

Basically, I speak my heart.

Leaving my old haunts were also very emotional, and the spirits and I had some great dialogue. I was even given a parting gift, something I still get teary-eyed over, on my last day.

I think just cleansing and talking is enough ritual for me :) unless you want to take something from your old home, like a stone, to represent old connections and old ways, bury it, and then make something new for the new home to represent new ideas and ideals, new goals and dreams.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 pm

I have problems in leaving places, I always feel like I've forgotten something! Recently, in flatting, I've known going in there that I'd only be in there for a year, so I think that knowledge lessened the impact of leaving. I think moving out everything and cleaning the house is a form of ritual in itself. I've never really done anything... the act of closing everything up and cleaning it all has always set it in my mind enough. Of course, since it was never really my place, there was a certain feeling of just returning it to its owner and leaving it the way we found it.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:36 am

I got the feeling I should tell you to say goodbye to the old house, literally. Tell it that you really loved it while you lived there, and that you appreciate the fact that it gave you shelter and a safe place to go to escape from the world. Then tell it goodbye. To me that could also be seen as a sort of ritual. Just an idea. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:35 pm

Good call, I do love this apartment. Maybe I just needed affirmation of that.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 am

If you ask nicely, the house itself may give you a gift. If it does, then I would suggest before leaving calling all of your energy and wards close to that item and taking that to the new house. Once you're in the new place, the old wards come up and protect you during the transistion phase, when sheilds are more likely to falter (if only from stress :roll: ). Then they'll slowly begin to give energy to the shields of the new house before they leave completely. It's beautiful when it happens that way.

When I got to my current place, within the first week (even though my old place didn't give me shields for the new one... It was the first one we'd bought and was vaugely unsettled when we left) we had the dragon spirit that was watching over our new neighborhood give us shields and protect us. He was just pleased to have someone who could talk to him. :-D Sorry, off-topic, just a really good memory!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:52 am

The Move went well, I swept it and said good bye.

I love my new place, my roommate and I cleaned the whole thing. Lit some incense. We think we may have a couple ghosts but that is fine. it's an old hosue, to be expected.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)