memorizing or using note cards in ritual

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

memorizing or using note cards in ritual

Post by fussa-faery » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 am

I was wondering how people here go about doing rituals with lots of words and speaking involved. I have used to note cards in my last to rituals and am wondering if this is considerd a by most a accepted way to go about a ritual. It seems to me that perhaps memorizing could lose the effectiveness of a ritual. then again for weddings there is usually a rehearsle and thats sort of the same idea. What do you think?
"Fairy's may be a figment of my imagination, but doesn’t that make them real?"

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Well that's an interesting idea :)

In my practice, except for a few key lines that signal the beginning or the end of my ceremonies, nothing is ever memorized. It's always spoken from the heart, or not spoken at all, just images.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 am

I'm interested in this too because next Monday I'm holding an important ritual with my boyfriend, and there will be a lot to memorise (possibly too much) and I don't want us to be faffing about with bits of paper. I do want the ritual to appear natural and when I do rituals by myself I tend to speak spontaneously, but since my boyfriend isn't a Pagan and doesn't do rituals he won't know what to do. We don't really have time for a rehearsal either, so writing a schedule down is probably my best bet.

I think note cards are a good idea, the Gods wouldn't complain about that if that's what you're worried about!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 pm

I must admit I use them in my rituals. I like a bit of structure, and I usually find that I have a page and a half I want to say, so I'll print out the page or use the notebook I wrote it in. :lol:

That said though, Me and Grimwell are memorizing our Handfasting Ritual, because we consider that ritual to be of Paramount importance to us (and we'll have months to spend memorizing it :lol: ).
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm going to be different here and say that I don't use note cards. 8-)

If there is too much for me to memorise, I won't do the ritual that way. I've tried it in the past and I spent too much time refering back to the paper I was using and not enough time focusing on the ritual itself. Most of mine are worded spontaneously anyway - you know, the whole speak-from-the-soul sort of thing - but there's something to be said for more traditional rituals (and anyway, the spontaneity thing only really works for the solitary). Personally, I won't read from something. I have to have it memorised so that I don't stumble over the words, or have to strain to remember something. I think the idea of it is to have the rhythm and the words set, so that they come easily like a well-known song, and you can say them while concentrating on what they mean and on the ritual, rather than worrying over what the words actually are. I'm of the opinion that a ritual has more power to it that way.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 am

For the most part I think a ritual should be spontaneous, open-your-heart and let the messages and needs flow kind of thing.

That said, if you are planning to work for something specific during the ritual, a particular spell or ceremony, note cards and crib sheets can be helpful. In this way you can plan out in advance how you want it to go and then review it to make sure that the energy flow is right and there is no karmic backlash from improperly worded chant or misdriven intent.

Memorization is great, if you have that ability. I have a photographic memory - but the film was exposed years ago so hardly anything ever develops. Neither dieties nor fellow practicitioners would fault you if you need a little jar to the brain every now and then. You are only human after all.

Just don't get too bogged down trying to write out every facet and set in stone every word. A list of bullets to be covered just like at a meeting should be sufficient.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 am

Sorry, I felt I had to ask, are we talking Rituals (like Major Festivals or Events) or are we talking small workings as well? :-?

When I originally read it I thought it was refering only to Full Rituals, and those I always spend the time on... But if we're counting smaller workings, then I have to alter my answer somewhat... I only use a notebook for Full Rituals, everything else is spontaneous... :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Kitsune wrote:Sorry, I felt I had to ask, are we talking Rituals (like Major Festivals or Events) or are we talking small workings as well?
For me, I do both full sabbat rituals and smaller esbats spontaneously. I was only thinking of crib sheets because I'm doing a ritual with my boyfriend on Monday and he's never done one before so I want to convey a sort of structure for him to ease him in a little. He might not be comfortable speaking spontaneously to the Gods since he's never done it before!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

fussa-faery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fussa-faery » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Well when I wrote I was thinking more about full non-solitary rituals, since those are the only ones I use note cards for. when it comes to solitary I just rather wing it so to speak and either speak what comes to my soul or sometimes just feel it in my mind. But im intrested in these methods for any kind of ritual.
"Fairy's may be a figment of my imagination, but doesn’t that make them real?"

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Re: memorizing or using note cards in ritual

Post by Hytegia » Sat May 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I like to Memorize, personally.

But I have a problem with calling spirits for talking with the long lines of script that I have gone to say what they CAN and CAN'T do on my terms, why they're there, and, ofcourse, their name with fully-elongated titles if you know them. And I found that they're more cooperative if you're polite, and don't miss a beat with your words.
I just take my Book and flip the pages as I read aloud, but I know how the spell is going to progress becouse I wrote it. So it's easy for me.
:P
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon May 18, 2009 7:08 pm

I either use my spell book (personal bos) or impromt speak (from my heart/mind). Honestly, setup like this has to do with personal preferance. I have memorized things and performed ritual but I feel more comfortable off the cuff.
Mostly I have a rough draft that I follow to guide me.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Somber Sky » Thu May 21, 2009 2:11 pm

I have a learning disability and I have tryed not to use my book of shadows and notes but when I do I just blank out and my mind shuts down. I have gotten to the point where I can call the elements with out a book or noets so I have to say that it depends on teh persons learning abilitys. If lord and lady know that you are not like every one else and that your doing your best then thats all that matters. I know that when I am finished I hear clapping my head and chearing...LOL I must have done the ritual right... He he

Mab SoulTamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mab SoulTamer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 am

This reply may be a little late, but I'll post anyway. I am too old to memorize, that part of the brain is full and unlike a computer, I can't seem to purge all the garbage up there. I've used a tape recorder to read my ritual onto and practice and then do the ritual with the recorder playing back quietly and it seems to work. I'm not saying it's the best, but since I'm a solitary practitioner, I don't have to worry about flub ups anyway. Just my opinion on another way to go instead of note cards. Mab