Matches

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Matches

Post by iriseyes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:22 am

Please tell me why it is stated to use "matches" when lighting candles and incense for a ritual or spell instead of a lighter.. Is it because the fire is more pure when lit with wood??

#-o
To thine own self be true.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:25 am

I think it has to do with the sulphur smell...Maybe :-k
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:02 pm

The only requirement for candles is that they be lit. I have no idea who is saying that it must be with matches. That's kinda fundie.
Sometimes it's just not possible to keep them lit even. All that is really required is that they are lit and we be conscious of what the fire represents.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:53 pm

A fire lit in a purist way would be with flint and stone or two sticks rubbed together!

LOL...anything that particular is just being a nitpicker.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:20 pm

I just wandered I had read that a couple of places then someone told me that as well..

I really figured that fire was fire no matter how it is lit.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm

I actually heard somewhere that it's best to use a lighter if you're invoking fire when lighting a candle, because there's less in the way of smoke which is, well, air-y. The whole matches vs. lighter argument is a bit silly, I guess. It's all the same in the end. Whatever works.

I use a lighter because it's easier for me to do so, and I don't have to deal with the used matches and stuff. One day I'd like to get a nice pretty one with a pentacle on it or something.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 pm

hmmm I have read in books as well about using matches instead of lighters, and I don't know, I always have lighters on hand more then matches, so I just have always used lighters, I like the long ones that you can light a deep candle with without burning your fingers. I think in a way it is a old timer thing, but I also agree that using flint and or rubbing wood is alittle extreme, I have a lighter, I use JUST FOR RITUALS, so that way it has my energy on it, I don't put any special vibes on it, just positive energy but I do cleanse it every once in awhile, (i'm pretty bad about cleansing, I do it right off the bat then about once every 3 or 4 months) I look at it this way, It's tuned to my energy, granted I do a ritual for my goddess tree, or for a blessing for my animals to have a quick recovery with no ill side effects, but I just think that cleansing is a personal choice as well, if I like use something for a ritual and it doesn't feel right then I will take the time to cleanse it then but otherwise, I use what ever feels natual

Anyway just my 2 sense worth

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:06 am

Some people here in Calgary say that you should only matches, but when I asked why they said it's because matches are older, and therefore more traditional. :lol:

Even when I convinced them that lighters have actually been around longer, they said that it was "traditional" and if I didn't do it that way, then I'd be doing it wrong. :lol:

Well it works all right for me, and I get the same results, and that's really all I care about. ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:32 am

Using only matches and then telling everyone else they're doing it wrong if they don't use matches is so weird. Just goes to show there are fundies everywhere!

I always light mine with our gas stove. I can never work lighters and we don't have matches in the house! So I guess I'm totally wrong because I'm doing it that way! :lol:
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:07 am

I always feel very spiritual when I transfer fire. Lighting a thin stick in the fireplace then lighting candles from it is kind of cool.

For some reason using my Toronto Maple leafs lighter doesn't give me the same feeling. :lol: :lol:

But anyone who complains about that is a putz
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Willow wrote:I always feel very spiritual when I transfer fire. Lighting a thin stick in the fireplace then lighting candles from it is kind of cool.

For some reason using my Toronto Maple leafs lighter doesn't give me the same feeling. :lol: :lol:

But anyone who complains about that is a putz
I transfer fire all the time.. If I have a candle lit, I use that flame to light another one or incense..

I just know being new into this I just have to be careful what people tell me..
Thanks guys for helping me out.. =D>