Rites Of Passage Ritual

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Rites Of Passage Ritual

Post by SageWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Ok my son had a band contest tonight and I got all teary eyed realizing that my son is no longer a baby but a young man, I was so proud of him, and I decided, that it was time for his rites of Passage, He's ready for it and wants to do one. So does anyone have any idea of how to do this, I was thinking of doing it on Beltaine, When I had my Bale fire lit, so any Idea would be great.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:28 am

Well, personally, I would wait for a night like Yule, because I'd find the... the flavour of the evening to be more suitable. It also gives you a lot more time to decide what you want to do, what you need, to gather everything together, etc. But that's totally a personal choice.

As for the ritual... well...
*Windwalker waxes poetic and composes a ritual of sorts*

Personally...
I'd have everyone dressed in a white robe, seated about the fire. In this part of the ritual, I would have everyone older than the youth in question, because they're welcoming him into their number. The youth himself would take a ritual bath with specially chosen oils, dress in a new white robe, and join his elders. Circle would be cast simply at this point. I'd compose some speech at this point, nothing fancy, with a call to Apollo, who was especially important in Greek rites of passage from child to adult. If it was me, I would present my son to the others and make a statement along the lines of "this is my son, a child no more, and I set him before you as a man, and give him to himself", something like when a father gives away the bride. You know what I mean.
There might be a teaching-story told here, a reminder of the responsibilities of adulthood, that sort of thing. Something along the lines of the path that lies before him, of all the possibilities avaliable, of all the different paths he could take in life and in spiritual practice. There would be food, ritual wine (as a man, he'd now be entitled to partake if he wasn't before, at least in ritual). He might choose a symbol of childhood to set aside, give to a younger sibling, something like that. (Remind him to choose something he won't miss too much ;) ) Then there would be a gift: a first athame, or a wand, or a staff of adulthood. A symbol to initiate him among you.
The ritual wouldn't last more than an hour, because people's attentions tend to wander after that long. Circle would be broken, and the youth would lead the way to another predetermined area where everyone could be more relaxed, the children could participate, stuff like that.

You know, I should really write something out properly. Composing random rituals is fun.

Notes: The Greeks would cut their hair short when they passed from childhood to adulthood. Your son might be disinclined to perform such an act, or might already have short hair, but clipping off a little as a symbol might be something else to include.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:30 am

I would also ask him what he wants. He might not be comfortabe with a ritual, and you showing him that you respect him enough to honour his wishes might be all the ritual he needs.

Maybe you can add something like give him more responsibility but allow him to do something new. Get an ear pierced, start a new sport or activity, later curfew, some new clothes, something that will outwardly signal the next phase in his life.

But ultimately, if it is a coming of age ceremony it should be for him. If you want aceremony for yourself maybe a cutting the ciird ceremony would be more appropraite. meditate on it and see.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Genevieve Silverfox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Genevieve Silverfox » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:38 pm

What about one for girls?.... i want to have mine in November.... exactly fours years from my first decision to study wicca

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

Totally didn't see your reply Genevieve!

There is a beautiful ritual in the archive at Pagan Library, (Here), written by Lady Shyra called 'the Modern Female Rite of Passage'. Hope that inspires you!

Coming of age is slightly different to renewing your dedication, perhaps you're looking for a self-initiation rite?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men