Coming of Age?

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Coming of Age?

Post by Mahala » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:04 pm

Okay, I was thinking of starting out Pagan with a coming of age ritual, seeing as I've started my 'cycles'. :oops: Yes, I've decided that my instincts are right, and that I will tell my parents when the time is right for that.

The possibilities I had in mind: (I'm already 14 years old.)
A shower/or bath
Gathering important/special childhood items, and exchanging them for adult items (Symbolic change of phases.)
Meditation

Help? First official ritual. Can't find any groups in my state to help. Ideas, suggestions?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Hello hello

If you're not grossed out by menstrual blood, you could always let a drop fall on Mother Earth as a sort of... thanks, honouring, attuning... Many people are turned off by that. I'm crazy, hence my name, so...

It helps a lot to research the symbology of mentrual blood, of cycles, of "moon time," and all subjects relating. Then you can make your own ritual, one that fits you and is meaningful to you. If exchanging toys for adult things feels right, that's awesome! It never felt right for me, because I lost a lot of my childhood and keeping a few stuffed teddies around helps me to remember to be a child, and I've given most of my childhood toys to my niece (I just have to keep a close eye on them because I KNOW my sister will throw them out, and I want them for my kids!)

anyway, hope this helps a little...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:27 pm

You might want to read up on Greek coming-of-age rituals. We focused on them a bit in Greek Mythology, when we were doing some lectures on Artemis. (Running around nekkid in the woods pretending you're a bear or something was mentioned. Sounds like a heap of fun, but probably not very practical nowadays.) Artemis is a good deity to call upon in this time, too.

Personally, I'm very in touch with my inner child and have no plans to set away my childhood toys. Whenever I feel I have reached a new point in my life, I plan a tattoo. Obviously this isn't an option for you quite yet, but I thought I'd mention it anyway ;)
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:36 am

Great book for you to read. (It is a semi academic book so it might be tough)

Deeply into the bone by Ronald Grimes. It is a study of some of the modern rituals people i our society have created to deal with life rituals. There is entire section on coming of age rituals. Hope it helps!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Great book for you to read. (It is a semi academic book so it might be tough)~ Willow

I read @ a 12th grade level, though I'm only in 8th grade. I'll try those and see what comes up. Thanks guys! (& gals!)
:-D

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:43 pm

BTW...not meant as an insult....more like a "be prepared for some boring stuff that inludes terms like structualism, functionalism, liminality, bleh bleh bleh."
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:58 pm

I got a wild idea... use my baby blanky :oops: for the alter cloth. He's still in good shape, but I think he might stay retired in his sandwitch bag for now.

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed May 09, 2007 6:09 am

i prefer to burn things, releasing it from my consience and making room for the new, i also call upon the powers of pluto to do this
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll