Permission

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
Sweetcherrie
Level 1
Level 1

Permission

Post by Sweetcherrie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:20 pm

I would like to know if and how I can get permission to use various parts of the rituals as background studies for a book that I'm writing.

It's nothing so far, and I doubt it will ever get published, but I wouldn't want my work to be taken or used before someone asked me, so I'm asking now if I can use this.

In particular:

Ceremony Of Initiation
by J. Brad (Talespinner) Hicks

If anybody could help me with this, I would be very grateful. :)

Sweetcherrie

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:28 am

actual;ly, i'm pretty sure that justgiving the author credit for writing it and why you chose it is good enough.
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Rev. Asher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rev. Asher » Sun May 28, 2006 11:25 am

I'm currently writing a book too. There are two options you have.

1. Get permission from the author, if you can't you can use up to 300 words of quotation without permission. (read that somewhere)

or

2. Use the same ritual but change it so that it is in your own words. This way it is essentially your ritual. You can use the same layout, same supplies but change the wording. If there's a chant in the rit, write your own, if there are words to be said, write your own. As long as the ritual is essentially the same it should still work for the individual, but remember, what works for one person may not work for another...... I would also state that this ritual is based on "Ritual" by so and so... that way you can't get in any trouble if they say, "Hey that's my ritual, I'm going to sue!"

Just some advice.