Menstruation Rituals?

Whatever you do - don't break the circle!
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 am

Muhahahaha...Another convert.
It has a money back gaurantee too. I hope everything is well in Cali, I am jealous of you because it snowed here last weekend!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:47 am

Snow is awesome... I love it. I'm hoping for a white solstice this year.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:08 pm

You will not regret the DivaCup!!

Sagewolf, I am not sure about any Native American ceremonies, but, as weird as this sounds, some of the menstrual fluid on an almond as an offering is very powerful. Easily done with the divacup.

The part about the DivaCup that excited me was it has measuring lines on the inside!! That idea is so cool to me!

As for snow: WILLOW! Send some over here. Our well is STILL dry!!!! No rain. No snow. Just cold. *sigh* It has never been this dry before... I think we've had it go dry once, for about a week, and we'd switch to the gravity feed and get the water from higher in the mountain. MONTHS it has been dry.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:52 pm

Native Amreican's were secluded during their "moon" times, they were considered Very powerful, Almost too powerful, the Warriors were scared of their magic, so to "confine their power they made a menstral lodge. In other native American Cultures, Women were considered better warriors, More powerful with their menstral cycles and were allowed to hunt food and any food caught by them were more maigcal. Also when a woman first became a women they did a ceramony for them, They were able then to make babies and were considered then mateable and highly desirable, When Men asked the family for a daughters hand in marriage, alot of nations traded horses, and sevral of them for the privelage of mating this certian woman. If 2 men wanted to marry the same women then her value went up. The biggest desire was to get at least 6 horses in the trade, The more horses the more status you got. It's pretty straight forward but also very complex but it all boils down to the girl becoming a woman and being able to have children. Oh and in some cultures women were not allowed to even mate until she has proven her fruitfulness. She had to be able to produce children before hand.

Sorry I'm going on and on, Native American Cultures have always fasinated me and I can talk for hours on it.I'll research for more rituals and ceramonies if you wish for me, but that is what I know off hand, Any Questions feel free to Pm me.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:31 am

I wouldn't mind if it was nice snow, but it is more of a white rain then anything. Wet mucky and cold. Oh well, no one said mother nature always does what we want.

I am not sure how I feel about seclusion rituals for menstruation. I tend to feel like they are attempts to control something that can't be controlled. The only time I have seen them spun positively is in the book The Red Tent. It is a great book and it talks about the loss of an important menstruation ritual.

I have studied some of the Jewish rituals surrounding menstruation too. Although not secluded, a woman has to be ritually bathed before she can have sex with her husband again. I knew a woman who grew up in ukraine in a small Jeweish Orthodox villiage where they would break through the ice in order to have the mikvah available.

Ok, I will stop here as I too could start ranting about Jewish, hindu and even (the lack of) Christian rituals.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:38 am

I understand about the secluding and control thing, I really do, but in native American culture it was more to protect the men from the women, :lol: yes they tried to control the women in that way but I think it was more because the men didn't understand the magic of a woman during her moon time, I don't know, maybe it was the whole PMS hormonal thing, where a woman's mood swings like the wind, and the men were scared that the woman would get mad at them and hex their bow so it won't shoot straight. I just gotta say well yeah if the man got on my nerves I would hex his bow for a duration :lol: j/k but I kinda understand the thoughts.

SageWolf

P.S. i'm saying I understand the thoughts not agreeing with them.

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:40 am

No worries, I understood your understanding. :lol:

I have been doing a lot of reading in post colonial studies lately...I hope this post doesn't make me too unpopular.

Anyway, the theory is that in our own guilt over the past we have filled in a lot of info about aboriginals and the way they lived before they were invaded by colonists. Where we would interpret a Hindu seclusion ritual as oppressive, we interpret theirs as liberating. I guess that is what was alluding too without being very clear. It is called the pure native ideal, it also deals with our iinability to accept thhat the actions of colonists have permanently changed the way that aboriginals practise (in any culture: African or North American).

Anyway, I am somewhat laissez-faire when it comes to my native ancestry. I accept that they were closer to nature and had a lot of great ideas, but I am also willing to accept that like other people they probably dominated others, went to war and had petty fights over insignificant things. As with every culture I am tryingt o learnt o take the good witht he bad.

So please don't feel that I am insulting our ancestors, just trying to be realistic...after all this is just another theory and it may very well be wrong too.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 am

not offended at all (At least I'm not I can't speak for anyone else) I understand that people are people be it 50000 years ago or today,We are really the same no matter what generation we are in. The only difference is population and conviences.

TO be cynical about our ansestors is natural. And History is written by the winners, not the loosers, we only really get one side of the story anyway.

Ok Thats it for now

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1

The blood question

Post by Somber Sky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Well I would think that this is the time you connect with the earths energys. Blood is a very sacred thing with out our blood we would not be us never ever see blood as gross. Its a powerful thing and very special.
the reason that blood is so powerful is because it is the purest form of us the true life essence and our genetic make up from the color of our hair to how many babies we have all programed in..

Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1

DID YOU KNOW

Post by Somber Sky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:49 pm

DID you know that when there are alots of women that live togather when they first meet there cycles are all off and when they been togather for 2 or 3 months there all bleeding all the same time. this is because our bodies can sence others women bodies bleeding because of the natural flow of a womans energys.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

A mini-essay on blood

Post by Windwalker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:45 am

Okay, this started out as just a tiny rant but has expanded to the degree that I had to give it its own title :-D
Oh, and please forgive the rather Wiccan Lord and Lady talk further down there. I know not all of us are Wiccan or recognise the Lord and Lady as deities in their own right. As the beliefs I talk about are my own, I really didn't want to generalise them.
Somber Sky wrote: our genetic make up from the color of our hair to how many babies we have all programed in..
But most of blood doesn't. Plasma I don't know much about, really, I assume it contains some random gunk. I know red blood cells don't have any genetic wotsit because they lack a nucleus. And there are waaaayyyyyyyy more red blood cells than white. You're all happy DNA-wise with blood but so little of blood actually contains DNA.

And as far as babies go, I'm going to stick my hand up and say that environmental influences have at least as much of an influence as genetics on the amount of children we have. I say at least, because for some people the cards they were dealt have a rather dramatic effect on the children they can have, how easily they can conceive, and how likely they are to miscarry, but all those things can perfectly easily be impacted on all the stuff that happened to us after conception. Here I include all stuff like prenatal hormone exposure to historectomies, personal decision to drunken mistakes.

I agree with you emphatically on how important blood is to us, to our minds and spirits as well as to our ability to live. Ritually, symbolically, spiritually. It carries part of our ancestors and our families, our passion and energy. Physically, it carries our hormones and energy as well as the oxygen we breathe.

Personally I have always loved blood. I love the colour, the way it congeals, the way it looks a different colour when it's dry or when there's a whole heap of it, I love the smell and the taste. Blood is awesome because it represents as much "bad" as "good" - war and torment and loss as much as love and passion and life.

Most of us probably link menstral blood with the Goddess. I am no exception. Menstral blood is somehow different from normal blood - thicker, richer, the place where life begins and is cherished. Most of us too have probably thought uncharitably about males and how they couldn't possibly understand having a period. (I'm no exception there either!) So, linking menstral blood with the Goddess is just a natural way to go. When it comes to normal blood, however, I link it naturally to the God. I've done quite a bit of thinking on the Lord and Lady in anthropomorphic and non-anthropomorphic forms of late, you see. The Goddess is the Earth, the world on and in which we live, I've never really had much trouble with that concept. After all, many non-Pagans speak of Mother Nature. (Have you seen the Mother Nature ads on Animal planet? They're beautiful, and inspiring.) The God we often see in more anthropomorphic forms, however. The Green Man may be foliage but a face is still clear, and the Horned God (how I nearly always see the Lord) is very obviously an anthropomorphic figure. If the Mother is the Earth, I think to myself, what is the God? I link him to blood, as blood is a fairly important concept/substance/symbol to me. He is present always in fight-or-flight, in passion and dance, any time when adrenaline runs through our veins and our heartbeat quickens. See also concepts such as "blood of our forefathers", and links like the earth as a womb and our lifeblood as the fertilising sperm.

Anyway. That's my rant/diatribe/etc. Menstral blood is one thing, but if we speak of blood in general, the number of symbols involved shoots up even further, and I could philosophize all day :-D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:36 am

Very beautiful rant, Windwalker. =D>

And don't worry about generalizing. I think everyone on this forum are good at respecting that these are your beliefs, and certain terms can be changed in our own minds to help us connect to your opinion & belief system on a personal level.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 am

I agree with CHL, it is fine to talk about your belifs and the dieties as you see them, we all undertand here that different people see these things differnetly.

And I agree, blood is connected to much more than we realise. when it moves fromt he inside of our body to the outsideIt can become powerful, taboo or symbolic of something different than it meant on the inside.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:52 pm

yup.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 pm

*bows* lol, thanks guys, I know you're all respecting of beliefs, that's why you're awesome! :-D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes