Pentacle Rings???

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

When you wear a pentacle ring, do you wear it point up, for you to see or point up for others to see?

For me to see.
42%
For others to see.
58%

Total votes: 24

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:18 pm

Really, you can work receptive or projective with either hand/foot (or most any body-part for that matter), but that often takes practice, it's usually easier to work projective and receptive based on dominant and non-dominant hands respectively, as there is a natural psychological, as well as energetic tendancy to do just that.

Wassail,

RuneWulf
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Luciferish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Luciferish » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:25 pm

I didn't read it anywhere Cat, its just what I was taught years ago about the hand as used for magic. The way you point your fingers, the ways to change and work with energy from them.

The debate as to which hand is active and receptive, I specified in there "Generally considered" because there are exceptions to this.. Many people who are left-handed often are reversed, also some people who are right handed from conditioning (evil catholic nun and a ruler can change your polarity for writing) will be active on the left.

Its just a general rule of thumb.
Even the devil's got a lawyer, would you like my card?

Est nullum problema tantum ut usu vis maximae idonei expediri non possit.

Kiril
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kiril » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:59 pm

I don't really know much about detail of it all... So i have a question.. Does the symbolysm and the way a practitioner uses hands/fingers plays an important role? Because i kind of see myself directing/radiating/absorbing energy from my mind and body as a whole, rather than asigning any role to any specific part...

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:47 am

That's fine too. It really depends on the individual and their training. A lot of people (most actually) find it easier to use their hands. But any part of the body can be used, or the body as a whole. That is actually called (among other things) the "grand circulation" in qigong and asian sorcery. Well, using the whole body is part of the grand circulation anyway. For most people, it takes a fair amount of practice to learn that and even more to become proficient at it.

Wassail,

RuneWulf

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:16 am

Hmm... I imagine this as the way the emperor points his fingers in return of the jedi to summon lightning in his attempt to kill Luke Skywalker. Is this the way they would be used?

Blessed Be!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:43 am

I think it depends on the actual beliefs that have been drummed into your head about magick and energy. When I first started consciously studying magick and paganism well over a decade ago, I studied a lot of the hermetic teachings, as well as the pagan magicks that had hermetic influences. Back then, things like this finger emits this power the best and this hand should be used for receptive, etc. made sense and really worked for me.

However, as I continued my studies and they led into both shamanism and taoist (as well as other) energy workings and martial arts, I learned that that didn't hold true as an absolute truth like it was stated when I first learned it. I will admit that the body naturally has affinities for certain things like that, but that it does not HAVE to work that way. It takes a fair amount of work to break out of that kind of programming, as well as a lot of practical experience, however it can be done.

I am at the point where I can lower my breathing in meditation to the point where I take one breath every 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. When you are cycling this slowly, you are very sensative to energy, especially as it flows through your body and around you. Getting to this point makes the grand circulation of qigong much easier, as well as working with building and directing energies both within and without of yourself. Once you can do it regularly in such a deepened state with success, it becomes easier and easier to obtain the results without having to be in such a deep state.

As far as the lesser and grand circulations, they go basically like this.

Lesser Circulation: You energy starts from your Dan Tien, think about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below your navel. This is a natural energy cavity (or reseviour) in our bodies. We guide the energy from there, down the front of our body, then up our backs, over our heads and down the front of our bodies back to the Dan Tien.

The above is the way your bodies internal energy naturally flows. By learning to control this, it gives one not just better control over energy, but can be used to help break up blockages and heal oneself.

The Grand Circulation: Basically the same as above, but you also send the energy down and back up your etremeties, i.e. legs to feet to legs under your trunk, up the back, over the head, to the shoulders, down the arms to the hands back up the arms to the shoulders, down the chest and abdomen and back to the Dan Tien.

Once you can do this consistently, the next step involves both projection, absorbtion and sensing of energy outside the body, as well as strengthening and modifying what we in the west call "the aura" and some disciplines call "the etheric body", the energy field which emantes from our body a little ways out from our skin.

And now, to answer the question in the star wars context. It's kind of hard to tell without knowing exactly where the "metaphysical base" for the jedi and emperor came from. There are obviously eastern influences, but that is not the only influence. I would say the way he holds his hand has to do more with either a psycho-somatic reaction to chanelling energy or with a dramitc effect. I can project energy from either hand using the fist, whole hand, palm, fingers, knuckles, etc. equally well, so I don't hold with using a given finger or combination there-of for such things.

I do think that when working certain kinds of "natural" (read earth/component) magicks, that utilizing our bodies natural tendancies, i.e. which finger relates to which element, which body part, etc. can come in handy, especially with amulet and talismanic magick, as the magickian is only partially responsible for the effect and the magicks tend to be more subtle. So, aligning those subtle energies in a way that will allow their influences to work best makes sense.

Ok, I think this novel has probably gone on long enough :)

Wassail,

RuneWulf

Jennicat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jennicat » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:32 pm

I didn't read it anywhere Cat, its just what I was taught years ago about the hand as used for magic. The way you point your fingers, the ways to change and work with energy from them.

:o LUCKY LUCIFERISH!!!! I am curious, how long have you been on the pagan path? Since birth, or did you get introduced to it in your teens, early adulthood?

Its just a general rule of thumb.

YehÖ :roll: GREEN PAGAN THUMBS!!!!

:badgrin: MUHAHAHAHhahahahahhaha!!!! <evil cat laugh> :badgrin:

:D Thanx for the refís Rune Doggie!
Always remember,

you're unique...

Just like everyone else!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:46 pm

no prob meine katzen :D

Wassail,

RuneWulf

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm

I was never actually taught anything about dominant hands, and have always used mine equally.

Also, my hands have always seem the natural way to 'transmit' energy.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:20 pm

For most people they are Davish, it's when one tries learning to use other body parts, especially the feet or trunk that they often have to really work harder.

Wassail,

RuneWulf

Luciferish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Luciferish » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Cat, I began to study about 20 some years ago, in my early teens. In those days there wasn't a whole 'Teen Witch' concept so the people I found to learn from were adults and they answered my questions and helped me explore it. I was fortunate to have a family that was disinterested enough to allow me to do what I wanted, what they disapproved of they never found out about.
Even the devil's got a lawyer, would you like my card?

Est nullum problema tantum ut usu vis maximae idonei expediri non possit.

Jennicat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jennicat » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:24 pm

:-o WOW!

So have you been with the same people all this time? I guess once you find a good coven (family) there is really no reason for another, eh? :lol:

Well, consider yourself lucky either way =D> , sounds like you've had some good guidence! :D and i am almost positive that you yourself are now a guiding force in your coven. [-o<
Always remember,

you're unique...

Just like everyone else!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:28 pm

She's a sweet kitten, isn't she :wink:

I totally agree though. Once you've found a good group, there's nothing like it.

Wassail

Debbrah

Post by Debbrah » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:29 pm

Just a thought on why the hands would work-very natural symbol for doing something. It is the most direct way we manifest things in out everyday/mundane experience. Using that pattern to focus energy is likely easier than trying to learn to focus it through something like (sorry Samantha ;) ) a twitching nose.
"There's not much that's contrary to nature if you just know how to coax her along a little."- Mad Amos Malone (A. D. Foster)

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:07 pm

not to mention it would help one avoid developing nervous ticks around the eyes/nose, eh, :lol:

Wassail