Fasting

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Fasting

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 am

So this is an offshoot of the general chat idea.

Does anyone here ever use fasting as a part of their practise? I participate in the season of lent with my husband but here is how I participate:

(1) I attend ash Wednesday service and instead of reflecting on my "sins" I think about wrongs I might have committed against people in the last year and see if there are any I can resolve. I also fast all day on Ash Wednesday (only drink water)to remind myself of other hungry people in the world

(2) I usually do a prolonged fast where I give up something (this year I think it will be alcohol) and use it to create mindfulness. Every time I think about wanting a drink (or eating chocolate, or drinking pop or whatever I gave up that year), I remind myself that I am fortunate, and I try to think about things I have lost over the last year and I set goals for changes in my personality (i.e. be nicer to the variety of office workers I have to deal with, be less sarcastic to my mother)

(3) I then end with a celebration of Easter /Ostara and welcome spring and a chance to start over, knowing that I won't be perfect this year but that I will be better because I have spent time making myself a better person. I often fast Easter Friday just to bring it to a close.

Anyway, what interests me most is the fasting, I think it is a good way to set aside a period of time as specific, but shouldn't necessarily be done as a way to show how much control you have. Some cultures also use fasting to bring on ecstatic states. I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on if they use fasting at all or absolutely despise the idea.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Fasting

Post by Kystar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 am

My Antaine, or Mr. Kystar, as you lovely people have dubbed him (I think he used to have an account here long LONG ago...) absolutely HATES the concept of a fast. I haven't gotten the whole story yet...ie - why...but he hates the idea of it.

I, personally, have stomach issues (IBS), so a full fast day for me is an invitation for massive stomach upset. So, I don't do that.

I have on one or two occasions when a guide challenged my self-control or willpower set a mini-lent sort of thing up. Where I said, Okay...I won't eat blah for a week. Sometimes I stick to it...and sometimes I don't.

The only other time I do something like this is when I realize I'm getting caffeine withdrawal headaches...and I go, "Darn, I didn't know I drank THAT much of the stuff! Time to cut back!"

I can sort of see the reason for a fast or denial period...but I don't find them to fit into my path, so I don't use it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

That's cool, my husband the catholic doesn't actually fast either because it sends his stomach for a loop. He worries that God gets upset, i tell him God made his stomach that way so God can deal with the concequences! :roll: :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Personally, I don't fast. I could, but I don't see the point in my spirituality. As well, Grimwell has serious stomach problems if he doesn't eat regularily... so it's out of the question for him.

Good quesiton though!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 pm

I've met a lot of people who regularly do water fasts for health. Others do juice fasts (or "Juice Feasting"), some smoothie fasts (although I am not sure I'd call the latter a fast...). They are used to cleanse and detoxify the body and mind. Personally, I find that since my own dietary changes, it's extremely easy to fast, but I don't like to. If allowed, I'll find myself doing an unprovoked water fast for half the day, but this throws my entire body and energy out of whack for anywhere from twenty minutes to a few hours, depending on when I eat and if I have allowed myself to rest for ten minutes when my 1st level or etheric level can get charged up again. I haven't experimented with what this would do to my energy and my system if I actually fasted. My bf, although finding it spiritually significant for him, will not do fasts because he has a very high metabolism and is always expecting to be on call to save someone. It came from firefighting: He would eat every meal like it was his last because he could be out in Alberta cold for fourteen hours in a hundred pounds of gear.

There are a few health "gurus" out there that proclaim that a yearly fast is very healthy for the body. Some fast once day a week. I haven't researched into it enough, as I find that, although interesting and definitely an area I'd love to explore, due to schizoid wounding, it'd be better for me to embrace my physicality rather than find yet another way to deny it ;) I imagine it would be phenomenal for anyone with a psychopathic wounding (main wounding is that of betrayal) unless they are strongly masochistic or schizoid as well. Oooooo, what would it do to an oral character structure?! THAT would be an interesting thing to witness.

Very cool subject!!

Check out http://www.juicefeasting.com/
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG