Subsuming the Personality

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Subsuming the Personality

Post by Kitsune » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Has anyone ever done this to speak with a spirit, or if you've called down the Gods?

Basically, you get to go to a small corner of your mind and let the other act through you... Was it White Harmony who was describing it on the other page?

That's what I'm talking about. I've done it myself, but I personally find it to be a vaguely creepy feeling... Allowing something else to "borrow" your body for a while is a hard thing to do. I've also noticed that my memory can become fuzzy while I'm doing it as well, and I'll only remember some of what is said or done. And it's not fun to have other people riffle through your memories to find the correct words to use to get across a meaning.

Although I would do it again, I do feel that it takes an exceptional person to even attempt it, let alone do it more than once.

What are your thoughts?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Subsuming the Personality

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:40 am

I did it as a child once ( :oops: omg what kind of a kid was I?) when the spirit of a dead classmate wanted to speak. When my Guides speak, they sort of blend. I feel my "self" sort of become very still. I don't feel invaded, more like an old friend is giving me a giant hug. And if anyone - guide or spirit or whatever - wishes to speak through me to my clients, they tell me first, and I tell the client. If I do go into channel mode, it's from a higher vibrational being, usually my Guides who act as a translator, sometimes their guides, and it's still always the feeling of the big hug. Two definitely there, but no feelings of being less than me. I guess it's just being aware of being more than me, since the higher vibrational beings are less about the boundaries of flesh or space/time.

However, I routinely am involved in Psych-K, an amazing healing modality. In Psych-K, you can do thing called Surrogations, where it's sort of like calling the person in mind on a phone. You bring in their energy - if they allow and you allow and it's for the highest good and is safe and appropriate - and one person acts as a surrogate, and through this much healing can occur through the Psych-K process. I am used to the feeling now, but you definitely feel like you're off to the side in a corner of your mind, watching. You do have full control, and if I am ever uncomfortable I sort of take over and say, "OK, hey, I'll just translate for you K thanks." It's actually amazing to watch the energy field when someone goes into surrogation! It doubles, for one. It's an intense experience and can really wear you out if you're surrogating someone who is of a vastly different energy, or is generally abrasive or chaotic.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Unknown
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Unknown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:18 am

all of these sound amazing spirits are my main thing i would love to try this and get some of my nature energy out there to but the spirit side of my gifted is giving me the most trouble right now to be honest
The dead has a voice such as the living but hearing that voice is something differnet.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 pm

The closest thing I've done has been automatic writing. Sometimes, we (my sisters-in-spirit and I) would have a lingering spirit that we couldn't communicate to in any detail...but we wanted to, b/c we wanted to know why it latched onto us!

So, while the others were "guarding" the medium, one of us would allow them to channel to either our voice or our writing hand. Usually, I would let them have my hand.

Basically, I'd meditate down, allowing my hand to just drift over the page doodling, until the spirit could latch on and write. I don't do it alone, b/c sometimes the spirits would not want to leave...which is why the others were guarding.

After I stopped dealing with the one friend who challenged everything, I didn't have the need to do this b/c I didn't have things popping out at me from all directions.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Unknown
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Unknown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:40 pm

thats cool letting them doodle but i tried something new today the whole letting them into my mind i was in the shower i tried and th hot waer helped me out when it came to finding my center it was all very new and very weird or me it was like watching my body instead of really controling it
The dead has a voice such as the living but hearing that voice is something differnet.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 am

Unfortunately, I don't think there would be room in my mind for another to get in to do anything. I already have enough different personalities with just me. However I do experience similar feelings when the alternate personalities assert themselves. What is somewhat funny is that I am not a full schitzophrenic, just classified as having schitzoid tendancies, all personalities are variations of the same base person - in other words they are all Doug just different Dougs. I have classified them basically as the Base/Default personality, the Teacher/Student, the Warrior/Soldier, the Analyst/Technician, also {unfortunately} the Beast and the one I keep as buried as possible, the Dark One. I can ssometimes force a change off by doing similar to what you are describing and then I can see through both sets of eyes - disconcerting to the say the least - but often they are brought out by situation which causes a change off, sometimes some short term memory loss, and only one active view.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 am

Kystar wrote:The closest thing I've done has been automatic writing. Sometimes, we (my sisters-in-spirit and I) would have a lingering spirit that we couldn't communicate to in any detail...but we wanted to, b/c we wanted to know why it latched onto us!

So, while the others were "guarding" the medium, one of us would allow them to channel to either our voice or our writing hand. Usually, I would let them have my hand.

Basically, I'd meditate down, allowing my hand to just drift over the page doodling, until the spirit could latch on and write. I don't do it alone, b/c sometimes the spirits would not want to leave...which is why the others were guarding.

After I stopped dealing with the one friend who challenged everything, I didn't have the need to do this b/c I didn't have things popping out at me from all directions.

Cool, glad that you got clear of the problem "friend".

Something similar happens to me. I'll just sit there in a 'null' state and my hand will be scribbling away. Nothing is ever legible though because it is not written in English or any language/alphabet I can recognize, to be honest it looks like badly handwritten sanskrit, but I do sense that there is meaning within the writing. Unfortunately if I try to force it - even though it looks the same, I can tell it is garbage just as if someone were randomly writing English letters into something that looks like sentances.

As an addition though it sometimes comes out verbally. I say things that are not in a recognizable language, usually unconsciously, just as concepts or ideas sit in the base of my mind. I never know what is said though though sometimes the base meaning comes through, such as "treias" = tired, weary, reluctant to move. Most of the time I'll jst start singing a tune under my breath in it when I'm doing other things, like showering, washing dishes - as a matter of fact the songs almost always happen when I'm in contact with water. Still like with the writing, if I try to force it, I know what comes out is just nonsense.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:40 pm

I didn't realize it was possible to have schizoid tendencies, but not to have full schizophrenia...

Very interesting!

On the other hand, I do understand what you mean... As a writer, I constantly try to see what every facet of a personality is capable of, and try to understand why characters react the way they do... At one point during November, it occurred to me that I was every person in my book... Some facet of me could be seen in every one of them... Even the characters I don't like or the ones who are evil. For just a moment, I truly understood what the Divine must feel, even though I was only sensing the edge of the precipice, and not falling into it like the deities themselves.

It was a truly beautiful moment for me, and I think it has helped my writing immensely to realize this.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Kitsune wrote:I didn't realize it was possible to have schizoid tendencies, but not to have full schizophrenia...

Very interesting!

On the other hand, I do understand what you mean... As a writer, I constantly try to see what every facet of a personality is capable of, and try to understand why characters react the way they do... At one point during November, it occurred to me that I was every person in my book... Some facet of me could be seen in every one of them... Even the characters I don't like or the ones who are evil. For just a moment, I truly understood what the Divine must feel, even though I was only sensing the edge of the precipice, and not falling into it like the deities themselves.

It was a truly beautiful moment for me, and I think it has helped my writing immensely to realize this.
Lol. Yes, we can definitely have tendencies. I have schizo tendencies along with a bunch more. Just remember: It's not considered a disorder UNLESS it interferes with your day to day life. So, I have no disorders, just a lot of tendencies.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 pm

I used to read a web comic called "Comedity" that partially dealt with the different facets of the guy's personality in his head...they met like a council. it was great.

Though, I have to say, I have facets that have taken a bit more personality than I expected. I think everyone has bits of themselves that could be considered "alternate" personalities.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:39 pm

I have certainly had Godforms/spirits try. I always push them out before they try to hold grip. It is a very strange feeling when something tries, no? Barely able to describe the experience it is for me. A very heavy feeling like a resistence or a push. Is that push still there if you let whatever in to assume you? I do not know if the feeling is even the same for everyone. I do recall that during a ritual that Set tried to enter through a energetic spiral from my Solar Plexus. Very odd. The warding I put up before the ritual prevented any entering.
I have done some automatic writing myself where I do not let whatever in just on the sideline.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

usually, my attention drifts, and my vision sort of goes vague, almost like I'm watching an old movie.

I call it being in the backseat, but I don't do it often.

I got ride of that ages ago, and life has been easier, indeed.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Heavy is a good way to describe it for me. I only feel Resistance though if I'm actually resisting.

It does get fuzzy for me, and I don't have clear memories of it. The strangest part for me is when the spirit doesn't understand something and rifles my memories trying to understand, or to explain something that doesn't translate well.

Fortunately my husband is always there so that he can chat with the spirits, since I don't tend to have wonderful conversations when they've taken over.