E.V.P. ?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

E.V.P. ?

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi guys!!!!! So with Halloween coming up I was looking through all the scary movies and came across White Noise and with the latest remark about ouija boards, I got to thinking about E.V.P. or Electronic Voice Phenomenon. Does anyone have any fun thoughts? I kinda think it's way too uncontrolled, especially in one's own home, with the family around, it seems irresponsible. Again, What are your thoughts?
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: E.V.P. ?

Post by Kystar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, I tend to watch Ghost Hunters regularly, so I have heard a few really strong EVP's. And the one episode when they were investigating a fort, they got an echo of a cannon blast that was picked up by the show's mics AND their equipment...AND they heard it!

Hubby is considering doing a test at work by leaving a recorder running over the weekend at his desk...but that might not work.

Personally, I think the only way to get a clean one is if you can guarantee that there isn't any noise pollution in the area. And that's hard to do. I've considered putting one up in a corner overnight, in a room we don't go into much...but there's so much street noise that comes it, I don't think it would work.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:19 pm

My SO got some wicked EVP when he lived at his old place as a teen. They were talking to a ghost that favoured his room and the bathroom. (At the same time his friend was living there, who speaks in "demon" when he sleeps. I don't think it's demon - the guy can barely speak english in waking hours: all grunts and snorts.) I never heard the EVP, but apparently it was as clear as day.

Turning on the player with the intention to the universe is like a calling card. Actually participating in the dialogue is a lot like the Ouiji Board, I feel. Give them attention, and they grow. "OOO, a door!"
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Especially this time of year when the veil is thin.

Unfortunately I've never experienced EVP, but I agree with Crazy... If you open the door a crack, assume that there is something on the other side, who will wonder what's on yours, and will try to open larger to find out.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:04 am

Nevre heard EVP before except on ghost hunters. Thogh sometimes I do hear my name when I am in the hosue alone. I wonder if an EVP would catch that and prove I am not crazy.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:06 am

They say that if you hear your name called thrice, it's Spirit giving you The Calling ;) (This is where I laugh maniacally and run out of the room) :badgrin:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:09 am

Who is this they? Why are they in my house?

LOL, its only ever once and it has happened since I was a kid, I just right it off now as either some sound I misinterpret, or an ancestor trying to get my attention. Either way it has never really scared me, just made me wish i could track down the source.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 am

Honestly, I don't think the EVP thing is as vulnerable as the Oujia board. For one, you're not asking them to go through you to do anything, you're not giving them a chance to truly touch you. You're not acting as a medium. You're basically telling them you'll listen if they have something to say, so long as they say it to the little device you're holding in your hand. Or the recorder you've put in a room. But if they're usually present in that location, all you're doing is giving them a way to communicate that doesn't involve scaring some poor schlep half to death. If you're a sensitive, it could progress from there if you don't shield, but really it's not as hands-on as say the Oujia or allowing automatic writing to channel out.

I've done that, the channeling for automatic writing, for a particularly stubborn spirit in my house that another person brought it, it's not pleasant to basically feel yourself being shoved into a small corner in your own mind so that something can use you to explain or communicate. It's not something I would do if I didn't have a strong group to pull me clear if something went a** over teakettle.

As far as communicating with something lurking in my house, I think I'd take EVP over any other method that I've experienced in the past. But, that's me. Others might not be comfortable giving spirits ANY means to communicate, in case they linger or something.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!