Karma & We Are All One - Thoughts?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Karma & We Are All One - Thoughts?

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

I have been reading Happier than God by Neale Donald Walsch, and came across an interesting passage, pages 109-111:
"The teachings of religions... don't explain Personal Creation.
My Conversations with God made it all clear to me. This process works and is the fastest way to achieve anything one seeks to achieve, God told me, 'because you are the Only One In The Room.

"I didn't understand. I said something like, 'Huh?'

"God Explained.

" 'All things are One Thing. There is only One Thing, and All Things are part of the One Thing That Is.

" 'Therefore, what you do for another, you do for yourself; and what you fail to do for another, you fail to do for yourself.'

"The reverse is also true. What you do for yourself, you do for another; and what you fail to do for yourself, you fail to do for another. (That is why it has so often been said, 'If you cannot love yourslf, you cannot love another.')

"And everything that you create, you experience. This is because, ultimately, all things that proceed from you come back to you. And this is because there is 'no one else in the room.' There is no one but you, in multiple form."
Now, to me this explains Karma, in a very tangible, make-sense form that sort of smacks you upside the head, as in "Duh."

Obviously this man is speaking from a Christian standpoint, but an 'enlightened' one.

I thought I would share this, and look forward to reading any positive comments or arguments! (mwa ha ha)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 am

I have never been sure about the everything is one argument. I am pretty sure we all have similar essences and energy, but the expressions of those energies are unique.

So maybe in a way how you use your energy goes back into the Universe and can affect the energy of other living things.

Who knows. For a religion major I am not very good at esoteric thoughts.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:36 am

Neale Donald Walsch has developed quite a following. It's not my cup of tea and I find myself in a few disagreements with him.
For one thing I'm a committed polytheist. I am convinced of the existence of many Gods. So if there are many Gods then we are neither manifestations of one God or manifestations of ourselves. It seems to me that in the limitless time many things have come into being. How we interact with all the other beings is important and the universe seems to work on the principle of cause and effect. That explains Karma to me.
For me, and this is only a personal view, "Conversations with God" leaves me cold. I couldn't get past the first few pages. Just me though.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Good to know! Although I'm not polytheist (or monotheist... Wait, scratch that. I'm poly, mono, pan, and anim, all in one...) I can definitely see how Walsch would leave one feeling a little cold.

However, it's good reading for a Christian living with a pan-ani-mono-poly-theist. (I lean more toward animism/pantheism - however, my direct experience with gods and goddesses, and with Unity... I'm confused now. Divinity is not logical >.<) My SO still gets bouts of guilt and random "I must be Christ-Like" episodes - mostly after speaking with or emailing his Fundie grandma, who triggers wounds. We have "God, you are my king and my brother, may I be a hero to you," on our fridge right now. Walsch has made it easier for me to look at that without raising my spines, to look at that, and see some common ground in there. Notice he says "You are my brother." :lol:

Ah but back to Karma...
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am

I've been contemplated this for awhile and I find this an interesting perspective and one I do share to a degree.

Willow’s comment:
I am pretty sure we all have similar essences and energy, but the expressions of those energies are unique.
This to me is good way of explaining the idea.

Physically we were all created from the same package as it were. (I am referencing to the Big Bang thing and the idea that matter is neither created nor destroyed merely transmuted).

And I don’t want to argue semantics so I hope you all will allow a little latitude here.

It seems only logical that the energies within our universe also all came from the same original source. While I believe there are differences of vibration or frequency or whatever you wish to call it – at a basic level I feel we are all connected and part of a much larger whole.

While we are all separate beings, I believe this idea of separateness is a result of the physical limitations imposed on us in the physical world and we have ‘learned’ to believe that we are disconnected from each other and our universe. I think this belief is false and that we can to varying extents overcome this physical limitation in many ways (meditation for one) and re-established the underlying connection.

To me this does explain the idea of Karma.

Vinita
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Karma & We Are All One - Thoughts?

Post by Vinita » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm

What book was thing again and when was it made? I would like to read it. This passages sounds a lot like the gold rule only modified to include that what is done to yourself reflect on what you do for others. Though there are example through history to slightly disprove this( Hitler, South Africa, etc...), in the idea of the individual who cause or give something to themselves will do the same for others sound rather reasonable. Though is doesn't say anything about past lives and how actions from now will affect you reincarnated life. Though there element of Karma in there, they are just not clear.

Bright Blessing flyaway:
V.Moonflower

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Vinita wrote: What book was thing again and when was it made?
Happier than God by Neal Donald Walsch 2008 - Hampton Roads Publishing Company
Crazy Healer Lady

Vinita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vinita » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:43 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Happier than God by Neal Donald Walsch 2008 - Hampton Roads Publishing Company
Thank you so much :-D